Sign in to follow this  
houstontexasjack

Future International Routes Out of IAH

One of those must be EVA Air, I think it hasn't been officially announced yet. The other one's gotta be Etihad, I can't imagine ANOTHER East Asian airline after Air China, Korean Air, EVA all announcing within a couple years. Maybe ANA, but I doubt it.

The multiple airlines from Latin America is interesting. The Colombian one will be Avianca for sure. Not sure which other ones we can expect. Maybe Copa? Volaris?

You think it would be possible for IAH to become a dual hub like O'Hare? I think it would be awesome to have Delta has a hub at IAH....maybe as their latin hub or something.

ANA...holy cow! I did not see that coming. I think TPE was also officially announced. Also, I think Air New Zealand has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning New Zealand time (later this afternoon our time) to announce a new route. It is expected to be ORD or IAH. Fingers crossed Air NZ realizes the business traffic a one-stop to PER from IAH might be able to gobble up (and PER is already served with the 787-9). :-)

EVA to Taipei is official. 4 times a week on a 777-300. ANA will also be using a 777-300. I was certain NH would have used a 787 on the route. I fly to Tokyo quite a bit and am ELATED to have an option to avoid United.

• Like 1

ANA...holy cow! I did not see that coming. I think TPE was also officially announced. Also, I think Air New Zealand has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning New Zealand time (later this afternoon our time) to announce a new route. It is expected to be ORD or IAH. Fingers crossed Air NZ realizes the business traffic a one-stop to PER from IAH might be able to gobble up (and PER is already served with the 787-9). :-)

Unfortunately it's going to be somewhere in South America. Two new foreign carriers in one day would have been too much to handle I guess. Great news about ANA though, hopefully it will be more successful than United's second daily was.

It looks like the ANA flight is better timed for onward connections into Asia than the UA flight was. Not great for Latam on the IAH end, though.

And the Air NZ announcement is not out just yet. Let's wait and see. Hope springs eternal. 

Unfortunately it's going to be somewhere in South America. Two new foreign carriers in one day would have been too much to handle I guess. Great news about ANA though, hopefully it will be more successful than United's second daily was.

How do you know this? I read something a few weeks back that it had come down to IAH or ORD for Air New Zealand...

How do you know this? I read something a few weeks back that it had come down to IAH or ORD for Air New Zealand...

Found this: Looks like it'll be an Auckland-Chicago announcement. Drats!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/63986409/air-nz-expected-to-open-new-us-route

"They've kept this one pretty tightly under wraps," McKearney said.

"If I was a betting man I would put my money on Chicago."

There has long been talk of Air New Zealand opening up a South American route but that was unlikely to be announced on Friday, he said.

"I think South America will definitely come, but I don't think that will be the pending route that they're talking about."

They announced Buenos Aires today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11372895

I was just talking about the press conference that was happening today. They may still announce a North American destination, though it looks like it will be Chicago, which really sucks because I think that ruins any chance we have of getting Air New Zealand for many, many years.

Edit: Reading that article in the post above this one, I guess EZE came as a bit of a surprise, as they were not expecting it to be a South American destination today. Maybe they were wrong about the Chicago thing, and IAH is still a possibility.

Edited by asubrt
  • Like 1

The guys saying "Chicago" appear to be travel agents who primarily book for leisure travelers. I think IAH would remain a distinct possibility. Although ORD should be within the 787-9's capabilities, I think the westbound flight with a full passenger load might be pushing it (the flight clocks in at around 8184 statute miles when routing at ETOPS 330 minutes at the great circle mapper). 

Of course, there are many good reasons for Air NZ to head to Chicago, but I think the European connections can also be had via a one stop routing through Asia. The near Latin American connections (e.g. Mexico and Central America) might be more valuable to Air NZ. 

They announced Buenos Aires today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11372895

I was just talking about the press conference that was happening today. They may still announce a North American destination, though it looks like it will be Chicago, which really sucks because I think that ruins any chance we have of getting Air New Zealand for many, many years.

Edit: Reading that article in the post above this one, I guess EZE came as a bit of a surprise, as they were not expecting it to be a South American destination today. Maybe they were wrong about the Chicago thing, and IAH is still a possibility.

I don't think there's any reason at all to think that it looks like it will be Chicago.  The article that included that speculation or "tip" was clearly mistaken. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's any reason at all to think that it looks like it will be Chicago.  The article that included that speculation or "tip" was clearly mistaken. 

Yeah, I saw a post somewhere else saying it would be Chicago, then that article which I quickly glanced at so I figured that was that, but it sounds like it wasn't a very credible source. Do we know if they are still even planning on announcing a North American route, or was Buenos Aires their big new destination that everyone thought was going to be ORD/LAS/IAH?

Edited by asubrt

Buenos Aires make more sense because Air New Zealand flies over Antarctica the 787-9 cannot make it to Chicago non-stop.  That flight is over 9,000 miles.  Just like EWR to HKG the 777 flies over the North Pole.   

So was Buenos Aires the announcement or are we still waiting on the US announcement later on today? The reason I ask is because Friday is almost over for New Zealand.

So was Buenos Aires the announcement or are we still waiting on the US announcement later on today? The reason I ask is because Friday is almost over for New Zealand.

I think Friday ended in New Zealand about 6 hours before your post. It seems pretty clear the "Friday announcement" was the Argentina service. Full stop.

United Airlines Star Alliance partner to have connectivity to Latin America great airline.

Sea monkey goat love dog biscuit 789 Melbourne. 

• Like 5

A few days ago, Air New Zealand indicated it would announce a new US destination:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11431981

Today, we have a press release indicating a major route announcement out of Houston:

http://www.houstongovnewsroom.org/go/doc/2155/2491438/

So, it looks like IAH-AKL might happen after all.

• Like 3

Great. This is a "truly" international destination to be proud of, comparing new routes to cities in Mexico have been served by United already, and seasonally chartered route to the Bahamas (probably we will not see it the next year).

This is great because I was already going to New Zealand in late 2015, direct flight is a big plus.

Awesome news that ANZ is going to fly here. New Zealand is an amazing place.

I am very happy to hear this.  I have been wanted to make a leisure visit to NZ for a long time ... and I was annoyed with UA for backing out of their proposed nonstop from Houston.

Now, well, I will be happy to give ANZ my money, rather than UA.  The only thing that made me struck in the announcement was that they would be using "refurbished 777s".   Time flies, I didn't realize that aircraft was already ~20 years into production!

ANZ and UA are the same alliance tho. I'm going to NZ in July...except I'm connecting through Los Angeles. What an AWESOME addition to IAH! Yet another punch in the gut to DFW.

ANZ and UA are the same alliance tho. I'm going to NZ in July...except I'm connecting through Los Angeles. What an AWESOME addition to IAH! Yet another punch in the gut to DFW.

I've done the ANZ trip through LAX, and was majorly annoyed at the lack of signage after you get through customs in LA. You just get dumped on the sidewalk, and have to guess where to go, unless they've done some improvements.

This is great news for Houston and United.  NZ is a Star alliance partner.  NZ is flying their new 787-900 a 777 cannot fly that route non-stop.  This flight will connect to United to so many destinations then before, especially Latin America.  They need to start building the new Terminal D because ANA is coming in June.  So now Star Alliance partners at IAH are Air Canada, Air China, All Nippon Airways, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, Singapore, SAS, Turkish.  I did for get another airline?

http://www.houstongovnewsroom.org/go/doc/2155/2495706/

Interesting. I don't think there is an aircraft that can do IAH-BOM nonstop (although the language used was "direct"). I wonder if Diaz might seek 5th freedoms, for a routing such as IAH-MAD-BOM. Get a couple of cities on the wishlist off in one swoop.

His track record has been very good. Maybe he just wants a bigger challenge at this point. :) 

Interesting. I don't think there is an aircraft that can do IAH-BOM nonstop (although the language used was "direct"). I wonder if Diaz might seek 5th freedoms, for a routing such as IAH-MAD-BOM. Get a couple of cities on the wishlist off in one swoop.

His track record has been very good. Maybe he just wants a bigger challenge at this point. :)

I don't know the exact number, but I guess should be 3 hours longer than dubai? May Be a little shorter than New York to Singapore? Again, if it is true I believe it is NOT carried by United…

It's just under 9000 miles over the pole, according to gcmapper.com (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=iah-bom&MS=wls&DU=mi).The versions of the 777X in development supposedly have the range.

Edited by Ross