Market Square Area

midtown_resident

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Feb. 11, 2005, 11:34PM

Out in the open

Seeing potential for sellers and buyers, entrepreneur puts market back in Market Square Out in the open

By DAVID KAPLAN

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

These two markets should coordinate to promote the two as one market. There could be some great synergies with these. Parking is easier in Midtown. So... go to the Midtown market for your produce and hop the train into downtown and browse the market for arts and crafts. This would be a great and unique Saturday morning for many Houstonians. Plus, there are an increasing amount of restaurants in the Midtown area to grab lunch to top off the morning.

I love the whole Market Square Market idea, so freakin awesome, I hate that Hyatt Hotel is closing if many of you have not heard, I hate that our hotels are suffering, I hate that we aren't getting any conventions. I would love it if Main was car free, just so light rail and car accidents wouldnt occur in this transformed area, I hate our downtow Foleys for the simple fact that it sucks, I hate that we have yet to get some real commercial business other than bars and clubs, I love the fact the city has learned how to attract people by still implying the bike taxi's and I love the aquarium, I hate Tilman for caging rare white tigers and advertising them like some freak show, I love Minute Miad and Toyota Center, I hate South Downtown, I love our theaters and redeveloping Buffalo Bayou. I love that we have some great residentail areas to live, I hate that Shamrock hasnt been started yet and neither has that freakin basketball court that the Rockets were supposed to have built in that park of the homeless, But thats about it, I just hope this city doesn't go back to neglecting this kewel of downtown. PEACE!

For what it's worth. I just flew in from Denver this past weekend. I was up in the mountains, but spend Sunday downtown. The NBA all-star game was in town, and the atmosphere down there looked like an average day in Downtown Houston. There are so many condos and apartments going up in Downtown Denver, which really adds to the restaurant, shopping and bar scence. But the lack of activity there made me realize that all of the talk about lack of activity in dt houson by retailers (like ESPN Zone) are a joke.

Side note. There were homeless people on every corner downtown Denver. This during the NBA all-star game. I was kind of shocked. I do love Denver and wish we could duplicate their succes downtown, but I realize that all of the elements are there in Houston. If only everybody else would recognize this we would be in good shape.

Sorry, no more ranting.

• 1 month later...

i helped my dad with a booth for a few weeks but he does not want to return. i am so frustrated with this, as i can see so much potential for market square. dave is doing a great job of organizing and i can't say enough good things about his efforts. i ranted in another post yesterday (houston - dog friendly?) about dave asking a man to pick up after his big dog in the park area and how the well dressed man casually refused. each week the vendors arrive around 7am and find it necessary to wake the bums up and coax them in to moving along. some do and some just keep sleeping away. they sleep on the concrete benches that are inset with old time photos of houston, which means anyone wishing to study the pictures may or may not be able to see them. yesterday the bum sleeping by the mosiac bench where my dad was setting up woke up ill and vomited - i covered it up with paper towels but ended up going home for cleaning supplies because i knew around 12noon the smell would drive away customers and make us all sick. i am going to contact hpd tomorrow and ask about an officer or two making a walk through - in the weeks i have been there i have never once seen a cop set foot in the park. i'll also call the mayors office and inquire about the enforcement of the ordinance designed to stop the bums from sleeping in the park since it presents a public health hazard. i visited with merchants, many who are becoming discouraged and thinking of dropping out and told them i was going to look into getting these problems addressed. i asked them to try and hang in there, because right now there is a good variety of things being sold and i really think this market idea could catch on.

a bigger problem is getting some foot traffic down there. yesterday there was an education forum at the convention center and an outdoor concert by the theater district, but market square traffic was slow all day. many people are angry that the city wants $1.50 per hour for meter parking, but there is $2 all day parking in the lot across the street. people on this board have so many creative, good ideas that i would be interested in getting more perspective on whether you think market square can survive. one idea i had was extending it to include friday afternoon, when so many people are downtown. there is already a wide variety of good food, great live music and everything from a massage therapist to a carpenter who makes custom cabinets, along with the art and jewelry. the bums have got to go, the grass has got to be maintained doggy free but what else can be done?

deb martin

i helped my dad with a booth for a few weeks but he does not want to return.  i am so frustrated with this, as i can see so much potential for market square.  dave is doing a great job of organizing and i can't say enough good things about his efforts.  i ranted in another post yesterday (houston - dog friendly?) about dave asking a man to pick up after his big dog in the park area and how the well dressed man casually refused.  each week the vendors arrive around 7am and find it necessary to wake the bums up and coax them in to moving along.  some do and some just keep sleeping away.  they sleep on the concrete benches that are inset with old time photos of houston, which means anyone wishing to study the pictures may or may not be able to see them.  yesterday the bum sleeping by the mosiac bench where my dad was setting up woke up ill and vomited - i covered it up with paper towels but ended up going home for cleaning supplies because i knew around 12noon the smell would drive away customers and make us all sick.  i am going to contact hpd tomorrow and ask about an officer or two making a walk through - in the weeks i have been there i have never once seen a cop set foot in the park.  i'll also call the mayors office and inquire about the enforcement of the ordinance designed to stop the bums from sleeping in the park since it presents a public health hazard.  i visited with merchants, many who are becoming discouraged and thinking of dropping out and told them i was going to look into getting these problems addressed.  i asked them to try and hang in there, because right now there is a good variety of things being sold and i really think this market idea could catch on.

a bigger problem is getting some foot traffic down there.  yesterday there was an education forum at the convention center and an outdoor concert by the theater district, but market square traffic was slow all day.  many people are angry that the city wants $1.50 per hour for meter parking, but there is $2 all day parking in the lot across the street.  people on this board have so many creative, good ideas that i would be interested in getting more perspective on whether you think market square can survive.  one idea i had was extending it to include friday afternoon, when so many people are downtown.  there is already a wide variety of good food, great live music and everything from a massage therapist to a carpenter who makes custom cabinets, along with the art and jewelry.  the bums have got to go, the grass has got to be maintained doggy free but what else can be done?

deb martin

it's after reading postings like this, that i wish our city 'leadership' were actively participating on this board. if we want our downtown area to truly revitalize, then the city needs to take an active role - this is sad.

deb, i hope your message is read by many - and i would urge you to email all council members and the mayor's office with this data.

I get the feeling that either City Hall or HPD (or both) will say something to the effect of, "Well, we have a specific personnel budget for weekend patrol and we have to prioritize where we place officers and the areas they control."

And that's fine but I would think that one or two officers doing a 20-30 minute walk through early on Saturdays would help with something as potentially beneficial as the Market Square Market.

And while I did see a pretty good amount of foot traffic DT this past weekend, Deb is right in that only a small percentage (maybe 10-20%) seemed to be moving near the Market Square Area.

Maybe if the Chronicle or one of the local TV stations could point out the concerns shared by Deb and other MSq vendors, it would embarrass the likes of Jordy Tollet or Harold Hurt (not that I'm blaming them personally) and prompt someone in a position of authority to put forth the extra effort to help the area become a more desirable locale overall.

(i would like to share a very encouraging development to the downtown dilemma of market square. this morning i faxed a letter to mayor white and all members of city council, detailing the problems of market square market, and already have rec'd several phone calls along with this email. as soon as i learn what measures will be taken i will post an update, and i appreciate the input, suggestions and ideas of all who replied. deb martin)

Thank you for contacting the office of Houston City Council Member Shelley Sekula-Gibbs regarding the enforcement of ordinances. I will make sure that the Council Member reviews your e-mail. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions at all. My number is: 713-247-2005.

Again, thank you for taking the time to e-mail our office regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Jose Pulido

Agenda Director

City of Houston

Council Member Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, M.D.

At-Large, Position 3

Direct: 713-247-2956

Main: 713-247-2005

Fax: 713-247-2648

deb,

i checked out this market on saturday morning becuase i remebered your post last week. i really enjoyed the market and plan to go back. i met dave and he said he is planning on getting some flyers together to promote the market. the vendors said traffic is slow. i really have not seen a very organized marketing effort by dave and the market. i live in the museum district and work in east downtown and had never heard of this market until reading your post.

i would suggest contacting the downtown district about help with security and bums. www.downtowndistrict.org their is also a heritage/historical society downtown that has some public money and could probably help.

good luck,

dream

I have been telling everyone I know about this (even though I havent been myself yet) and no one has had any clue this was going on. Everyone seems to get excited about it I will have to follow up and see if anyone has actually gone.

These stories about the dog owners and bums just get me all worked up. I really hope something is resolved soon. Maybe get a work detail from the local jail to come spiff it up in the morning. :)

I have been a vendor at the Market Square Market the last two weekends and have taken a considerable loss. Unfortunately, I won't be back until I see a good effort to advertise and market the Market Square Market. Most of the vendors that I have talked with are equally upset over a lack of promoting the Market, and are pulling out as well. I hate to see this happen but I do feel the same pain. Dave, no offense, but you must promote thru community awareness, over the air and in print, also the masses aren't really coming down to see garage sale type vendors. Check out Debs advice with Historical Society maybe funds could help advertise. The Market should #1 reflect a great deal more consumables (downtown residents have a limited area shopping), #2 along with local artisans. As for the dog owners, no poop signs, a strolling police officer and a few tickets handed out, would probably solve that. I was very excited to see the idea of Market Square Market come to life, and I hope I see a large effort made to keep it from dying.

Forgive my language, but why the hell do we have all of these organization supposedly promoting downtown if NOT ONE of them can do a damned thing to promote or assist something like this in any way. Where are all of those people in their little pastel outfits who are supposed to be keeping downtown clean? Why aren't they over there cleaning up after the dogs, if the police cannot enforce the laws?

Just for starters, we have the

Downtown Entertainment District

Houston Downtown Management District

Central Houston Inc.

Houston Downtown Alliance

Downtown Midtown Resdidents Association

not to mention the city of Houston itself.

None of their websites are kept up to date. If one wants to find out what is going on in downtown Houston, they are worthless. I find nothing about the Market Square Market, OR Party on the Plaza, OR Main Event. How sad is it that nobody on this board knows whether Party on the Plaza or Main Event still exists? AND nobody knows how to find out.

Just a quick example: The Downtown Entertainment District Alliance has a banner headline on the front page of their website announcing the St Patrick's Parade March 12 and the St. Patrick's Day Festival March 17!! If one clicks on "calendar" one is taken to another page that announces the SAME TWO LONG-PAST EVENTS! I can find NOTHING about Party on the Plaza. Nothing about the Main Event. Sheesh.

AN UPDATE ON MY COMPLAINT TO CITY COUNCIL RE: MARKET SQUARE

i don't wish to bore anyone with this, so i'll just post again with the final outcome.

this was the most promising response i have received. (deb martin)

to: Allen.Baquet@CityofHouston.net

Allen, it sounds like there is a lack of police presence in downtown on the weekend to enforce ordinances. CM Ellis is requesting that HPD investigate this complaint and provide a response to our office and Ms. Martin. Her contact info is listed below.

Thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Anna Sedillo

Office of Council Member Mark Ellis

cc: deborahmartin3@aol.com

it's still on. there are some vendors who have been coming since it started back in feb who have not made anything and are dropping out, but there are new vendors each week. last week a few came by just to check it out and signed up so there should be plenty to buy at the market - it's customers we're a little short on. i am very encouraged by the swift and positive response to my complaints about the dogs and hobo's, and remain optimistic about market square market. of course i'm just doing it for fun to spend time with my dad - if i was trying to make a living out there i might also think of packing it in. i'm planning on talking to the vendors on saturday to let them know the city is taking the problems seriously, which should help business pick up. to prove to them that our concerns have not fallen on deaf ears, i'll distribute copies of the email i got this morning from the main street market square redevelopment authority:

deb martin

Ms. Martin,

My name is Ralph De Leon and I work for the Main Street Market Square

Redevelopment Authority.

Your email regarding a recent experience at the Market Square Market reached

me earlier this week and I in turn forwarded it to the Operations Division

of the Houston Downtown Management District (HDMD). From there it was

forwarded to HPD Assistant Chief Mary Lentschke, her email reply to Mr.

Chuck Jackson of HDMD is attached.

Collectively, we thank you for initiating the correspondence. Your comments

helped everyone.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future if we can be of

additional assistance to you.

Regards.

Ralph

Ralph De Leon - Assistant Director

Main Street Market Square Redevelopment Authority

Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Number 3 - City of Houston

909 Fannin, Suite 1650

Houston, Texas 77010

Telephone: 713-650-3830

Fax: 713-650-1484

Email: ralph@mainstreettirz.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:19 AM

To: Ralph De Leon

Cc: Barry Mandel (E-mail); Scott Finke

Subject: Fw: Fw: need help with park

Fast response. Please let me know if this continues to be a problem.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Lentschke, Mary - HPD" <Mary.Lentschke@CityofHouston.net>

To: <chuck@downtowndistrict.org>

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:23 PM

Subject: Re: Fw: need help with park

> Chuck,

>

> I have already instructed Lt. Reuterman to assign 2 officers each Saturday

> to

> monitor the location. I also instructed him to ensure that the officers

> assigned to the area are familiar with animal related ordinances. I will

> update you each week on any actions taken at the location.

>

> Mary

>

> >>> Chuck Jackson 4/12/2005 2:16:51 PM >>>

> Just when you thought you'd seen everything....

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Ralph De Leon

> To: Barry Mandel ; Chuck Jackson

> Cc: Guy Hagstette

> Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 1:55 PM

> Subject: FW: need help with park

>

> Barry and Chuck,

> - FYI -

>

> Ralph De Leon - Assistant Director

> Main Street Market Square Redevelopment Authority

> Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Number 3 - City of Houston

> 909 Fannin, Suite 1650

> Houston, Texas 77010

> Telephone: 713-650-3830

> Fax: 713-650-1484

> Email: ralph@mainstreettirz.com

>

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Vicki Rivers [mailto:vicki@mainstreettirz.com]

> Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:40 AM

> To: ralph@mainstreettirz.com

> Subject: Fw: need help with park

>

> See what you can do, if anything to help this person.

Archived