The Montrose At Buffalo Bayou: Multifamily At 1320 Montrose Blvd.

fernz

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard rumors of this last month, but was never able to verify. We asked a manager there and he denied it (but did say he had heard the rumors).

Hollywood chinese is closing as well right? And I saw a sign that Little Bigs was moving?

Adding residential is great, but not at the expense of losing retail when there are still plenty of empty lots in the area.

I had heard rumors of this last month, but was never able to verify. We asked a manager there and he denied it (but did say he had heard the rumors).

Hollywood chinese is closing as well right? And I saw a sign that Little Bigs was moving?

Adding residential is great, but not at the expense of losing retail when there are still plenty of empty lots in the area.

Neartown / Montrose is going up! ^^^

Hopefully these structures will have retail as a component of their buildings.

I see "multi-story" but no necessarily highrise as the plan. My guess is another one of the many 4-5 story apartments going up all over town. Is the lot (including parking) big enough for something like that? I can't picture 1308 Cantina in my mind.

It is a big lot. It could be whatever

Edit: some howeowner has said via swamplot said the whole block to Gray (including Gibbs) will be demolished.

Edited by Avossos

M.e.h.  - I still miss El Jaliciense (aka Jollyscience).  Tiempo 1308 never was divey enough for me.

The late, lamented savior of many a drunk, impoverished student. Where else could you get a burrito the size of your head and still have change left over from a fiver?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is that the view of the front or back? It looks like that would be more the back side of the building since it would make more sense to have cars exit onto Marconi St. and not Montrose!

I do agree with Howard that it's a little on the basic side. Nothing really pops out in terms of the architecture, but it's the right size and proportion for what is needed in the area and the first buildings that do go up in this area are going to be basic because they are the first entry into this kind of market for this area. Not bad and it's a good start for mid-rises which will probably be popping all over montrose soon.

• Like 1

I thought a burrito the size of your head was an attraction to stoners. :P

Drunk, impoverished student and stoner are not mutually exclusive.   ;)   Nevertheless, those burritos the size of your head for next to nothing were still killer long after I left my student days (or at least the actual going to a school days).

Edited by mollusk

I kind of like it's bland simplicity. It's not shooting for some fake turret or stucco Mediterranean look, it just looks modern and simple. Not pretending to be something it's not. I assume the Ivy wall is covering the garage which is nice.

I agree that the building sorta sees itself as something that is past the faux styles of which are the norm, but it doesn't really identity with the nature and culture of the area. It doesn't have to be super wacky or anything, but a diversity in color and material should be a must in this area of town! It would certainly make it more distinctive. I mean I know we are in a very conservativist attitude when it comes to architecture of late in america, but I can never understand how that helps better market a building. "Hey you want to live in a building that is the same as everyone else, with the same amenities, and counter tops, etc.....then come live here!" It just leaves you scratching your head.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1