s3mh

M•K•T, The Standard in The Heights | 600 N Shepherd Dr

The city is already planning to put in bike lanes on Shepherd and Durham. I don't know if they're planning on taking a car lane from each street or what, but even just taking each street down the 3 lanes would help.

The other thing that would really help? Lights at 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 30th streets. The biggest problem with this couplet is how difficult it is to cross.

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

The city is already planning to put in bike lanes on Shepherd and Durham. I don't know if they're planning on taking a car lane from each street or what, but even just taking each street down the 3 lanes would help.

The other thing that would really help? Lights at 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 30th streets. The biggest problem with this couplet is how difficult it is to cross.

If they add that many lights I can guarantee there will be at least one less car that ever goes down either street ;)

15 hours ago, Texasota said:

It's hard to cross because there are four lanes of one-way traffic, and the road design encourages people to drive way faster than the 35 mph speed limit. You're crossing what is effectively an 8-lane divided highway.

Sort of. Except there's an enormous median with grocery stores and stuff in the middle.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to see the number of car travel lanes cut down. I just think (regarding the road design) that a huge part of the problem is the distance between stop lights. People speed because the street is so wide AND because there's no reason to stop. 

20 hours ago, Angostura said:

Shep and Durham work OK if you're in a car. They kind of suck if you're not.

3-lane 2-way streets have almost the same carrying capacity as 4-lane 2-way streets, since they handle left turns more efficiently. (They're also a lot safer.)  Shepherd and Durham between 11th and 20th both carry less traffic than (3-lane) Studewood between 11th and White Oak. A 3-lane configuration would reduce travel speeds to a safer level, discourage cut-through traffic, and allow space for wider sidewalks or bike lanes. Reducing average travel speeds from 40 mph to 25 mph along this corridor would add all of 2 minutes to a trip from I-10 to 610.

According to the City of Houston Traffic Counts site, Shepherd between 11th and 20th carried 10,000 more cars per day than Studewood between 11th and White Oak. If you are biking, there are better streets than Shepherd and Durham a couple of blocks to the East. You would be insane to bike on Shepherd and Durham until the City gets around to redoing the pavement.

Right turns will back up the one lane and a turn lane you propose, since people can't seem to make a right turn without stopping in the middle of the turn.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Sort of. Except there's an enormous median with grocery stores and stuff in the middle.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to see the number of car travel lanes cut down. I just think (regarding the road design) that a huge part of the problem is the distance between stop lights. People speed because the street is so wide AND because there's no reason to stop. 

A light at 10th would be stupid. A better choice there would be an island that forces people to turn right from 10th onto Shepherd, not allowing them to cross over to Merchants Park and the stores. Otherwise, there are plenty of lights between 11th and 610. 

I spend more time driving on Shepherd and Durham than any other streets, and would hate to see any reductions in traffic flow.

20 minutes ago, Ross said:

According to the City of Houston Traffic Counts site, Shepherd between 11th and 20th carried 10,000 more cars per day than Studewood between 11th and White Oak.

Studewood @ 8th: 19,632. Shepherd @ 14th: 18,654. Studewood DOES see fewer cars north of 11th, but the point is that a 3-lane road configuration can carry similar levels of traffic to what Shepherd currently carries, and do so with much higher levels of pedestrian safety.

20 minutes ago, Ross said:

If you are biking, there are better streets than Shepherd and Durham a couple of blocks to the East.

Unless your destination is on Shepherd. Within a few years, Shepherd will have transformed into a series of used car lots into a pretty dense commercial (and residential) district. It has a better chance of thriving if people can navigate this area safely.

BTW, CoH will never make this change, because we value moving cars efficiently more than we value not killing pedestrians. I'm just trying to move the Overton window a little. (Though, one way to avoid killing pedestrians is to do everything possible to ensure we never have any.) 

26 minutes ago, Ross said:

You would be insane to bike on Shepherd and Durham until the City gets around to redoing the pavement.

On this, we agree.

• Like 2

Eh, I've actually biked more than a few times on Shepherd and (with a group) it can actually be pretty nice. Traffic gets pretty light north of I-10 at various times of day and you can easily take a whole, excessively wide lane quite comfortably.

36 minutes ago, Angostura said:

Studewood @ 8th: 19,632. Shepherd @ 14th: 18,654. Studewood DOES see fewer cars north of 11th, but the point is that a 3-lane road configuration can carry similar levels of traffic to what Shepherd currently carries, and do so with much higher levels of pedestrian safety.

Extracted today from the CoH site, averages for the year:

STREET NAME SEGMENT ADT YEAR
SHEPHERD N DURHAM TO W 34TH ST 47227 2018
SHEPHERD N KATY FWY TO W 11TH ST 34958 2018
SHEPHERD N KATY FWY TO W 11TH ST 33958 2018
SHEPHERD N LITTLE YORK TO NORTH FWY 20167 2018
SHEPHERD N PARKER TO LITTLE YORK 35175 2018
SHEPHERD N PINEMONT TO TIDWELL 31605 2018
SHEPHERD N TIDWELL TO W MONTGOMERY 30899 2018
SHEPHERD N W 11TH ST TO W 20TH ST 25355 2018
SHEPHERD N W 34TH ST TO W 43RD ST 46498 2018
SHEPHERD N W 34TH ST TO W 43RD ST 46498 2018
SHEPHERD N W 43RD ST TO PINEMONT 41366 2018
SHEPHERD N W MONTGOMERY TO PARKER 34891 2018

STUDEWOOD KATY FWY TO WHITE OAK 16654 2018
STUDEWOOD W 11TH ST TO N MAIN 9091 2018
STUDEWOOD WHITE OAK TO W 11TH ST 15158 2018

http://www.housingforhouston.com/media/54608/august 2018 board packet.pdf

The southern half of this property that is currently being prepped for construction is going to be the Standard in the Heights.  51% of the units will be reserved for low and moderate income residents.  This is in the Love Elementary school zone.  Love is chronically under enrolled.  So, no Briargrove freak out will happen with this project.   

• Like 3

Looks a little project-y. Just a little, though.

This is becoming an interesting little area. Michael Hsu is design the redevelopment of the warehouse on Shepherd at the hike and bike trail. He also did Heights Revival to the east. It might make sense to connect 6th Street through the retention pond at some point. Then the last couple warehouses at 6th and Waverley could give way to something with a little height (considering the views), maybe a mixed residential and office development.

• Like 1

I didn't see a drawing--only a photo of an existing HHA project used as artwork on the Report Cover. Is there a rendering? I would assume this would be a dense mid-rise or something similar like the one planned in Uptown a few years back.

• Like 1

https://tritenre.com/projects/swift

Triten Real Estate Partners purchased over four acres of land and three original buildings the Heights neighborhood of Houston. The buildings, first constructed in 1909, were formerly a meat packing and distribution facility for Swift & Company. The Swift site is immediately adjacent to Triten’s m-k-t Heights project and gives Triten 16.5 contiguous acres and over 2,000 linear feet of frontage along the Heights Hike and Bike Trail.

DJI_0230.jpg?crop=focalpoint&fit=crop&fp

DSC07827.jpg?fit=clip&h=1200&q=80&w=1680

DSC07838.jpg?fit=clip&h=1200&q=80&w=1680

DSC07839.jpg?fit=clip&h=1200&q=80&w=1680

DSC07886.jpg?fit=clip&h=1200&q=80&w=1680

• Like 9

Just noticed that John Deal's company acquired 600 W 6th back in 2015.  

That building would make an excellent techno club. Come on Houston lets make our own version of Berghain!

• Like 3

Living in central Austin, with my heart in Houston, I so desperately want to see a bigger version of graffiti park in Houston. Seeing this building makes me dream of it

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HoustonBoy said:

Living in central Austin, with my heart in Houston, I so desperately want to see a bigger version of graffiti park in Houston. Seeing this building makes me dream of it

The Silos out in 5th Ward has a lot of potential to be that + a great venue. Went to an event out there not long ago, and was like....Wow I had no idea we had something like that here. This space too has the potential to be that as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Luminare said:

The Silos out in 5th Ward has a lot of potential to be that + a great venue. Went to an event out there not long ago, and was like....Wow I had no idea we had something like that here. This space too has the potential to be that as well.

The Silos are a trip and a half. Used to know a guy who's parents owned it. 

At one point (not sure if this is still the case), this owner planned to re-purpose this as a boutique hotel. 

• Like 1

I did a video shoot at The Silos a couple of months ago. I felt like I was in a Mad Max dystopian world... lol

• Like 1

This project is huge, didn't realize they were all part of the same project.

Q8eyaAj.jpg

B9ILcAd.jpg

3JVFcke.jpg

• Like 5

there is an apt component to the mkt project behind the existing 5 story structure... not sure if that's what this is or not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, swtsig said:

there is an apt component to the mkt project behind the existing 5 story structure... not sure if that's what this is or not.

I noticed piers around the eastern and southern portion of the garage, I think it would be a wrap 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Because someone almost always asks to see what's behind the HBJ paywall. It also saves other people time. 

Edited by LBC2HTX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

pulsinelli-olivia*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Olivia Pulsinelli  – Senior web editor, Houston Business Journal 
May 21, 2019, 8:03am CDT Updated 5 hours ago

A mixed-use project repurposing more than 200,000 square feet of industrial buildings in the Heights has secured its first tenants.

Houston-based Radom Capital and Houston-based Triten Real Estate Partners are developing the 12-acre site at North Shepherd Street and 6th and 7th streets. 

Two restaurants have been confirmed for the development, dubbed M-K-T, while some other tenants are still being finalized, according to a press release. Shop Cos. is handling retail leasing for the project.

Leases signed, expected to open in late summer or early fall 2020:

• Mendocino Farms Sandwich Market, which plans to open its first Houston locations in Rice Village this summer, in Uptown Park this fall and at 609 Main downtown this winter, according to its website.
  • Honeychild's Sweet Creams, the first brick-and-mortar location of the Houston-based frozen custard company, which sells its products in various grocers, stores and farmers markets in the Houston area and Bellville, per its website. 

Per the release, "a national lifestyle-oriented concept featuring simple, seasonal healthy salad and grain bowls made from scratch using produce delivered that day" also signed a lease but has not been named.

Leases still being finalized:

• A locally operated ice house to anchor the south side of the property along the White Oak Bayou Trail. It will include a large patio, hammock grove, movie screen and a large outdoor game area.
  • Heights-based yoga studio, which also will operate a 70-foot yoga lawn along the trail.

Other types of tenants M-K-T expects to add include a local clothing boutique, a coffee shop and several retail and beauty concepts.

The Houston Business Journal has reached out to the developers for information about the brokers that represented Mendocino and Honeychild as well as the size of their leases. 

M-K-T will contain 100,000 square feet of creative office space and 100,000 square feet of chef-driven restaurants, first-to-market retailers and studio fitness concepts, HBJ previously reported. It also will feature an abundance of green space and a boardwalk-inspired gathering space around the Heights bike trails. Russell Hodges and Bubba Harkins with Chicago-based JLL's Houston office will handle the office leasing, HBJ reported in November. 

Boston-based Long Wharf Capital LLC is financing the project. Michael Hsu Office of Architecture designed the project, Houston-based Method Architecture is the architect of record, and SWA Group is the landscape architect. 

The project is about five times the size of Heights Mercantile, another mixed-use redevelopment from Radom Capital, Managing Principal Steve Radom told HBJ in November. The 40,000-square-foot Heights Mercantile delivered in 2017 and won a 2018 HBJ Landmark Award. It was sold in July 2018.

• Like 3

The "Future Apartment Development" looks to be where the the warehouse tromp l'oeil painted façade is currently. I'll be kinda sad to see that building go.

• Like 1

Personally I think it makes more sense to merge these topics into one consolidated thread since this whole thing is connected.  Similar to the BLVD Place thread that aggregated a few different buildings into one place for easy to follow updates.

• Like 9

Not to totally derail this topic but I really dislike the many “address only” titled topics. They are completely useless and rarely read on my part. Names of businesses and/or developments need to be included in the title if there is to also be an address. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't know what anything was if it was addresses only. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, intencity77 said:

Not to totally derail this topic but I really dislike the many “address only” titled topics. They are completely useless and rarely read on my part. Names of businesses and/or developments need to be included in the title if there is to also be an address. 

This isn’t twitter but I wish I could retweet this! I’ve mentioned this exact point before. This is what makes up the Heights sub-forum.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Urbannizer @intencity77 @jmitch94 @nate4l1f3 @CrockpotandGravel

Two things can be true at the same time.

I agree that people do respond more to development titles than address numbers, but Crock is right that threads do tend to die off or are hard to find without an address in the title. Lets just make both happen at once. Example:

(address in question) - (development in question)

(whatever the address is for this) - MKT New Retail; Apartments

Both sides win in this situation.

If things need to be updated, such as project info, or if the developer changes the official address then the mods can fix it.

I also think it would be nice if there was a third identifier. Example:

(address in question) - (development in question) - (project phase in question)

(whatever the address is for this) - MKT New Retail; Apartments - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

@editor any opinion on this?

To everyone else, just zip it. This is why I don't go on Reddit anymore because I see stuff like this? Are we Reddit now? Why are we hanging out dirty laundry in what is the online equivalent to the town square?  When slinging mud at someone beware that you are going to get dirty as well, so I don't recommend it.

EDIT:

So Crock. If you put the address then put the development name.

For others if you put the development name then put the address in.

If you only know the address or just the development name then (at) someone and they can help out.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I’m just here for the memes thx

come in lenny von dohlen GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Jokes aside i have no beef with anyone here. We’re all passionate about our city and that’s what makes the contributors here so special.  If I had to rely on the Chronicle for all my news and updates then I would be begging for threads with only addresses in them, so thanks to all for your postings, pics and even gifs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I don't because I don't think this is part of The MKT.

I'm looking in the county records and this isn't connected to any of the developers of M-K-T.

Standard in the Heights at 601 W 6th or 612 Waverly St isn't part of M-K-T.

So please, @Urbannizer unmerge.  

The apartments under construction are not a part of the MKT.  different developer.  Ojala out of dallas, not radom.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, Urbannizer said:

It's a group of developers working together, similar to Studemont Junction (same with BLVD Place as well).

Triten Real Estate, Radom Capital for the retail portion and Block Companies for the multifamily side.

Technically, Studemont junction was a land deal put together by Kaplan, subdivided and selling sites to building developers and users.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Evil Developer said:

The apartments under construction are not a part of the MKT.  different developer.  Ojala out of dallas, not radom.

Technically, Studemont junction was a land deal put together by Kaplan, subdivided and selling sites to building developers and users.

Yeah, I see a 80' gap between the two projects when I ride by. This made me think they aren't connected.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, Luminare said:

@Urbannizer @intencity77 @jmitch94 @nate4l1f3 @CrockpotandGravel

Two things can be true at the same time.

I agree that people do respond more to development titles than address numbers, but Crock is right that threads do tend to die off or are hard to find without an address in the title. Lets just make both happen at once. Example:

(address in question) - (development in question)

(whatever the address is for this) - MKT New Retail; Apartments

Both sides win in this situation.

If things need to be updated, such as project info, or if the developer changes the official address then the mods can fix it.

I also think it would be nice if there was a third identifier. Example:

(address in question) - (development in question) - (project phase in question)

(whatever the address is for this) - MKT New Retail; Apartments - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

@editor any opinion on this?

To everyone else, just zip it. This is why I don't go on Reddit anymore because I see stuff like this? Are we Reddit now? Why are we hanging out dirty laundry in what is the online equivalent to the town square?  When slinging mud at someone beware that you are going to get dirty as well, so I don't recommend it.

EDIT:

So Crock. If you put the address then put the development name.

For others if you put the development name then put the address in.

If you only know the address or just the development name then (at) someone and they can help out.

My preference is that it would be something like Common Name [- Development] (address) — status

Example: Frobozz Tower - Zorktown Acres (42 White Mailbox Dr) — Under construction

Example: Frotz Building (10704 Aragain Falls Rd) — Topped out

If you guys want to take that and run with it, that's fine by me.  But in no way is this an edict.  I'd rather people do what makes sense for the building.  The most important part is to communicate, and help people find what they need.

• Like 4

Only project I came across where workers were working on Fathers Day.

i1b661L.jpg

PcQrw7H.jpg

krBkCgF.jpg

• Like 7