apparently the last place inside the loop with lightning bugs is the grassy area between the MKT trail and this development.  So... we're probably about to lose the last lightning bugs in the city.  that's a bummer. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, crock said:

apparently the last place inside the loop with lightning bugs is the grassy area between the MKT trail and this development.  So... we're probably about to lose the last lightning bugs in the city.  that's a bummer. 

Source?

I wonder what kind of habitat they need...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

Source?

I wonder what kind of habitat they need...

https://www.houstoniamag.com/travel-and-outdoors/2018/07/fireflies-houston-texas

Chris Garza, an applied ecologist on the Houston Arboretum’s Conservation Team, is hoping the park’s new savannah and prairie restoration will attract the Photinus pyralis, or common Eastern firefly. But for the past two years, he’s been pointing people to the stretch of overgrown wooded area behind Lawrence Park near the Heights Hike & Bike Trail.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The MKT Trail

Heights Hike-and-Bike Trail  

Built on top of a former Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad line, this path, also called the MKT Trail, connects the Heights to UH Downtown. Daily, hundreds of walkers, joggers, cyclists, and bike commuters take advantage of the vital shortcut the path offers between the East and West ends of the White Oak Bayou Greenway. But there are other reasons to appreciate it—fireflies near Lawrence Park, a safe walk home from Postino or Target, and an easy hop onto the Paul Carr Jogging Trail on Heights Boulevard among them.

6 minutes ago, Geographer said:

Urban living requires interesting places that people can walk to.  What parks, office, or retail will be available at this development?

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Geographer said:

Urban living requires interesting places that people can walk to.  What parks, office, or retail will be available at this development?

If you take the time to browse through the threads for these developments, you will find the answers to your questions!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/07/01/smartvault-lease-mkt-heights.html

Houston-based SmartVault, an online platform for managing and securely sharing files, will be a new tenant at M-K-T, a massive mixed-use development in the Heights.

The tech company has signed a lease for 8,500 square feet of office space and will relocate this fall, according to a press release.

In May 2019, the massive mixed-use development signed its first two tenants, Mendocino Farms Sandwich Market and Honeychild's Sweet Creams. The tenant list soon increased to include Burdlife, Elite Meals, Miller Grossbard Advisors, Da Gama Canteen, Rishi Hospitality, and XCL Resources LLC.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/27/21338064/la-la-land-kind-cafe-opening-houston-heights-mkt-building

A Very Charming Dallas Cafe Will Bring Its French Toast Lattes to Houston

La La Land, known for its creative drinks and a focus on hiring former foster kids, is headed to the Heights 

by Amy McCarthy  Jul 27, 2020, 9:00am CDT
57503060_262678571185155_780057679477971 La La Land Kind Cafe in Dallas  La La Land Kind Cafe/Facebook

La La Land Kind Cafe, a ridiculously charming coffee shop and cafe that hails from Dallas, has officially set its sights on Houston. 

Permits filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation indicate that construction is set to begin on La La Land Kind Cafe’s first Houston outpost at 600 North Shepherd Drive, inside the M-K-T Building, later this fall. The cafe will occupy 2,072 square feet, bringing a broad menu of coffee and tea drinks plus an important mission to Houston. 

The shop, which describes itself as “in the business of kindness,” is distinct in that it focuses on hiring adults who have aged out of foster care. After organizing a nonprofit to help foster teens who’ve aged out of the system, owner Francois Reihani realized that it was incredibly difficult for the kids he was working with to find employment. “Our youth could not get or maintain jobs, and without a job everything else would crumble,” a post to the shop’s website reads. “Employers were not willing to hire youth with no experience, or did not have the patience to teach them. If no one was going to hire our youth, we set out to do it ourselves.” 

In a recent interview, Reihani told the Dallas Morning News that he was looking to expand La La Land Cafe in a major way, with additional locations planned in Texas and beyond. The original outpost debuted in Dallas in 2019, and a second location just opened in the city’s Oak Lawn neighborhood on July 27. It’s also possible that Reihani already has multiple Houston outposts of La La Land Kind Cafe in the works. In early June, Reihani registered a limited liability corporation in the name of “La La Land TX 888 Westheimer LLC,” which could indicate plans to open in the forthcoming Montrose Collective development at — you guessed it! — 888 Westheimer Road. 

As far as the coffee is concerned, expect creative lattes in flavors like French toast, lavender-vanilla, and creme brulee. The Dallas shop also boasts a lengthy menu of matcha drinks, including a “flat green,” and cappucinos and cortados made with the bright green tea powder. La La Land Kind Cafe also serves pastries, toasts topped with avocado or honey and strawberries, and other light breakfast options. 

Construction on the Heights location of La La Land Kind Cafe is expected to be completed in early 2021. Stay tuned for more details on its arrival.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 5

On 7/28/2020 at 12:15 PM, Texasota said:

Their coffee/matcha/tea menu looks fine, but their food menu is pretty underwhelming. Pricing seems high too.

And that name. I hate that name so much.

I generally chill on my laptop at cafes around Houston, particularly before the pandemic. I don't care too much about the names but La La Land Kind has to be one of the worst names I've heard for a cafe. I mean, they may have the best coffee in the world, but I seriously don't want to tell anyone I'm going there.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...