23 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

They must be using some different tools than the concrete cutting going on at the Sears in Midtown...

If its tilt wall (which is an assumption) then they wouldn't have the problem of all the rebar/ reinforcing nets like at the sears right?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Luminare said:

If its tilt wall (which is an assumption) then they wouldn't have the problem of all the rebar/ reinforcing nets like at the sears right?

Not sure, I would think tilt wall has rebar in it as well? I suspect that if someone wanted to make a clean cut then there's a way to do it, rebar or not. The fact that the cuts on the Sears building were so ragged makes me think that all the concrete is going to come off those beams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Not sure, I would think tilt wall has rebar in it as well? I suspect that if someone wanted to make a clean cut then there's a way to do it, rebar or not. The fact that the cuts on the Sears building were so ragged makes me think that all the concrete is going to come off those beams.

I have no clue either. The make up of the walls are clearly different. The old wall at the Ion is a cast in place with a lot of rebar and this one seems to be tilt with minimal rebar necessary. I'm working on a job where they did a clean cut on an existing building a long way back where you can see the rebar, and its only a couple decades younger than the old Sears building.

I'm wondering if they initially were doing exploratory demo and then just decided to take it down all the way to beam?

On 10/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, H-Town Man said:

They must be using some different tools than the concrete cutting going on at the Sears in Midtown...

ha, I took a look at the photos of sears. Interesting demo technique. But it should be noted these are quite different structures. Sears appears to be a structural concrete frame. With Sears I'm not sure what their end goal is there, but they may be performing more drastic modifications to the frame system which is precipitating the need to have a more "ugly demo".

For this structure, This is definitely tilt-wall. I can't tell if these particular ones are load bearing. (i'll check next time I ride by). But generally the demo procedure is "saw cut" through the wall and push! One good thing this contractor has done is not over cut at the corners of the opening... so kudos to them for doing that. I would expect some sort of steel lintel  to be attached on the inside face/jamb at some point. Generally when I detail post-installed tilt wall openings, I have them install the steel prior to performing demolition.

CC @Luminare Tilt walls do have reinforcement, though traditionally less congested then your typical reinforced concrete beam. I've provided a photo from one of my old projects where we repaired a tiltwall. This is the reinforcement that is typical of Tiltwalls. 

image.png.0d18a8ff170aae4ce32ca58b8799ab7c.png

Edited by Purdueenginerd
Typo
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

ha, I took a look at the photos of sears. Interesting demo technique. But it should be noted these are quite different structures. Sears appears to be a structural concrete frame. With Sears I'm not sure what their end goal is there, but they may be performing more drastic modifications to the frame system which is precipitating the need to have a more "ugly demo".

For this structure, This is definitely tilt-wall. I can't tell if these particular ones are load bearing. (i'll check next time I ride by). But generally the demo procedure is "saw cut" through the wall and push! One good thing this contractor has done is not over cut at the corners of the opening... so kudos to them for doing that. I would expect some sort of steel lintel  to be attached on the inside face/jamb at some point. Generally when I detail post-installed tilt wall openings, I have them install the steel prior to performing demolition.

CC @Luminare Tilt walls do have reinforcement, though traditionally less congested then your typical reinforced concrete beam. I've provided a photo from one of my old projects where we repaired a tiltwall. This is the reinforcement that is typical of Tiltwalls. 

image.png.0d18a8ff170aae4ce32ca58b8799ab7c.png

This is what I thought, but couldn't prove substantially. That was a quick ninja response!

Its been interesting watching the demo because I haven't really seen demo with intent to preserve that intense before. I know on the project I was mentioning above that architecturally if you are going to poke holes into a facade that is concrete then most times it just makes sense to demo the whole wall and refill back in. It is interesting to see how rigid the Sears structure is to be taking such a beating.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luminare said:

This is what I thought, but couldn't prove substantially. That was a quick ninja response!

Its been interesting watching the demo because I haven't really seen demo with intent to preserve that intense before. I know on the project I was mentioning above that architecturally if you are going to poke holes into a facade that is concrete then most times it just makes sense to demo the whole wall and refill back in. It is interesting to see how rigid the Sears structure is to be taking such a beating.

I'll concede that looking at Sears photos, that demo does seem more invasive than I would picture for a renovation project . A few things on Sears Im seeing based on the demo. 

It looks like a solid wall was demolished at sears. Other than the lateral system(loads that go left to right, like wind), theres nothing that indicates to me that its part of the gravity system(loads that go down, and hopefully not up). If its part of the lateral system, they're modifiying the lateral system of an existing old building. I'll put this bluntly, doing this sucks, is difficult and expensive and is very invasive to the existing structural systems. Generally on renovation projects youre not required to modify the existing lateral system to modern code provisions unless certain provisions are crossed. Changing a building from Risk Category II to Risk Category III is a good example. Another one is "enlarging" the building wind profile. 
The other thing I noticed at sears is they appear to have completely removed the roof framing. I dont know their end goal here so Im in pure speculation mode. They could be replacing it. Why would use replace it you ask? Roof framing are typically designed for relatively light loads. If the Architect wanted a green roof, or another occupied floor, demoing that roof structure may have precipitated just simply replacing the framing up there. The other item they could be doing is... simply never replacing it. This has the added benefit of reducing the wind profile of the building. Regardless, I think its important to note that whatever they're doing to sears, at least to me, seems significantly larger in scope that this MKT project... as far as demo goes. We also have a secondary portion that here on MKT: the structure is exposed, and will likely remain exposed. Thats less likely for sears. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 2

Duw3g90.jpg

1 week update. So the tilt walls are clearly load bearing. They've installed shoring, with structural steel (a little surprising) with cribbing down to the slab on grade. Doesnt look tied down for uplift which irks me a little bit, but I digress. It could be theyre planning on performing select demolition at the roof in these locations. 

• Like 7

Another tenant for M•K•T has been announced for the Radom Capital development.: Da Gama Canteen

This is the redevelopment of the Shepherd 10 Business Park at 600 N Shepherd Dr.

From Houston Chronicle this morning:

Rishi Hospitality, the owner of Oporto Fooding House and Wine in Midtown, will introduce a new concept in M-K-T, an upcoming mixed-use project at 600 N. Shepherd in the Heights. Owned and operated by husband and wife team and Heights residents Chefs Rick and Shiva Di Virgilio, Rishi Hospitality plans to open da Gama canteen, a Euro-Indian influenced café and bar, in fall 2020. The 3,251-square-foot restaurant will be the evolution of Oporto Café and The Queen Vic pub & kitchen on Richmond Avenue, which closed this year and last. The restaurant, inspired by Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama’s spice route, will have a modern decor with Indian art and design elements. Brittney Freed and Linda Rubiola of Shop Cos. represented the developers, Radom Capital and Triten Real Estate Partners. Hannah Tosch of Colliers International represented Rishi Hospitality.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Euro-Indian-cafe-coming-to-14554523.php

More from Houston Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/24/another-restaurant-tenant-signs-on-for-massive.html

From CultureMap:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-25-19-da-gama-cantine-new-restaurant-wine-bar-the-heights-mkt-development-shiva-rick-di-virgilio-radom-capital/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

whats the significance of Rowdy?  I see his graffiti everywhere all over the city... Even written with a sharpie on traffic signage. 

Maybe it's the next Fight Club? It's incredibly hard to figure out of it's a group of people or one person.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to M•K•T, The Standard in The Heights
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oil and gas co. inks lease in massive mixed-use underway in the Heights 

A rendering of M-K-T, a mixed-use development that Radom Capital and Triten Real Estate Partners are developing.

pulsinelli-olivia1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Olivia Pulsinelli  – Assistant managing editor, Houston Business Journal 
12 hours ago

Houston-based XCL Resources LLC is the latest office tenant announced for M-K-T, a massive mixed-use development underway in the Heights.

XCL, a private upstream oil and gas company, will move into a 16,328-square-foot space in M-K-T this fall, according to a press release from JLL. XCL currently is located in Montrose, at 3217 Montrose Blvd., suite 200. It's backed by equity commitments from EnCap Investments LP, Rice Investment Group, private investors and the XCL Resources management team.

NAI Partners’ Griff Bandy represented XCL Resources in its M-K-T lease, while JLL’s Russell Hodges, Bubba Harkins and Jenny Mueller represented the landlord. M-K-T is a joint venture of Houston-based Triten Real Estate Partners, Houston-based Radom Capital LLC and Boston-based Long Wharf Capital.

“XCL Resources was focused on finding non-traditional office space that balanced productivity and collaboration while encouraging a healthy lifestyle,” XCL CEO Gray Lisenby said in the release. “With access to local trails, restaurants and easy commuting, M-K-T is a natural fit for us, and we’re excited to make the move later this year.”

With financing from Long Wharf, Radom and Triten are developing the 12-acre site at North Shepherd Street and 6th and 7th Streets. M-K-T was designed by acclaimed Austin-based architect Michael Hsu, who recently opened an office in Houston. Houston-based Method Architecture is the architect of record, and SWA Group is the landscape architect. 

More than 200,000 square feet of industrial buildings are being redeveloped into a mixed-use project that will contain 100,000 square feet of creative office space and 100,000 square feet of chef-driven restaurants, first-to-market retailers and studio fitness concepts. The transformation is about halfway complete, per JLL's release.

Office spaces will feature 10- to 20-foot exposed ceilings with the option to install internal stairwells leading to mezzanine spaces as well as stained concrete floors, exposed beams, private outdoor spaces, and large windows and skylights.

Among the approximately 30 restaurant, retail, and health and fitness options, some previously announced tenants include:

Miller Grossbard Advisors was the first office tenant announced for the space. The Houston-based accounting firm was founded 28 years ago and specializes in advising clients on tax, accounting and business advisory issues. The firm is currently located at 2204 Louisiana St. in Midtown. The company will relocate in the second quarter of 2020 to the mixed-use development, where it is leasing 14,000 square feet of Class A office space.

• Like 7