Any Family-Owned Grocers?

If you want to get at it technically HEB is a family owned grocery--Charles Butt owns the whole company. So if you're going to count Food Fair and Food Town, which are owned by Grocer's Supply, you most certainly should include HEB.

KG Food Center on Tierwester at Mount Pleasant, owned by the same Korean family since the 1960's.  The mother has been up front at the cash register for the last 50+ years, with one son alongside her, and another son who runs the meat counter.  

Unfortunately I think it'll likely be killed off by the new Pyburns coming on Scott Street.

KG Food Center on Tierwester at Mount Pleasant, owned by the same Korean family since the 1960's.  The mother has been up front at the cash register for the last 50+ years, with one son alongside her, and another son who runs the meat counter.  

Unfortunately I think it'll likely be killed off by the new Pyburns coming on Scott Street.

That's sure not very far away.  But looking at it on street view it looks like it's not much bigger than a convenience store so I guess it doesn't qualify as a 'supermarket' for the purposes of defining a food desert.

Maybe they can adjust their merchandise line to compete.  Pyburn's on S. Fondren is too far from me to be a regular stop but I go from time to time for items only they carry.  Biggest negative for me is the produce selection is limited and not very good looking.

If you want to get at it technically HEB is a family owned grocery--Charles Butt owns the whole company. So if you're going to count Food Fair and Food Town, which are owned by Grocer's Supply, you most certainly should include HEB.

Very true. I once asked my sister in-law, who worked in the HEB home office, why they had to move from Coprus Christi to San Antonio back in the late 80's. She stated flatly that "because Charles Butt wanted to move, and what Charles wants, Charles gets!". Conversation over.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived