wxman

Fresh from the rumor mill:

It is my understanding that the shopping strip where Popeye's, Crabby Daddy's and others will be torn down in 2015 to make way for a high rise.

How do I know this? Well, my aunt got to chit chatting with one of the owners of a business in that strip center and they said that they were going to be moving soon to a new location because the landlord of that strip center is no longer signing long-term leases. They, the businesses, were notified a few weeks back that the center will be razed and replaced with a high rise office building.

I have nothing more on this but upon hearing it I had two immediate thoughts. 1: it couldn't be in a more awkward spot. 2. Traffic is already horrendous at the 45/Rayford intersection. It'll be a total cluster in that area if this is true. Seems like such a strange spot for a tower, yes?

• 5 months later...

presentation.pdf 

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/the-woodlands/eb-5-program-offers-options-for-local-business-ventures/

The Best Development Company is developing the Woodlands Gate project, a mixed-use development with 220 multifamily units and 17,000 square feet of retail space located along Hwy. 242 and FM 1488, said Jose Villamediana, BDC owner and Greater Houston Investment Center founder and principal. Villamediana said BDC is also developing three other future projects in The Woodlands area.

14969330433_d983474d38_b.jpg

15403475817_ab2722067b_b.jpg

15586819831_592c71c977_b.jpg

15589476355_57dc382986_b.jpg

15586819151_53e98fd98f_b.jpg

The more I think about this the more it irritates me. The first step in good development is site selection, and this is an absolutely terrible site. The brochure crows about this thing being pedestrian oriented, but where exactly are these pedestrians coming from? There is nothing even remotely pedestrian scaled for miles around this site. 

Now if it were actually in the Woodlands, particularly if it were connected to the riverwalk area and Market Street, then it could actually build off of existing complementary development and contribute to a walkable district.

As it stands, this is the pedestrian oriented equivalent of greenwashing. Just another place for people to drive to, walk around and shop, then drive home. 

I just looked at the map. This will be buried along the edge of The Woodlands in the woods at the corner of 242 and 1488. This won't be seen at all from 45 and will be pretty well hidden unless you intentially travel along 1488.

I thought somewhere I read that the retail center at the northeast corner of I-45 and Sawdust/Rayford was to be redeveloped as an office building, which the link shows. Perhaps the local community newspaper misquoted the gentleman. The article does discuss several different projects. The schematic clearly shows the development pictured above at 45 and Rayford where Crabby Daddy and Popeyes Chicken are currently. This location would really be the "gate" of The Woodlands. 242 and 1488 would be the "back door".

The same newspaper also has a story about the Camp Strake property and a Sam Houston State medical school by the way.

IntroducRon

to

the

Woodlands

Gate

EB-­‐5

Project

The

Woodlands

Gate

Project

will

develop,

construct,

and

convert

approximately

acres

of

real

property

located

at

Interstate

Highway

The

Woodlands,

Texas

into

a

square

foot

mixed-­‐use

commercial

project

containing

neighborhood

retail,

extended

stay

Hotel,

and

professional

office

space.

idk why the quote was pasted so weird, but it looks like this may actually be on i45, in which case this is a much better location. lol. Sparrow appears to be right that its planned for where the Crabby Daddy and all that is.

http://greaterhoustoninvestmentcenter.com/the-woodlands-gate/

• 3 weeks later...

This site says the developers have already found a tenant for the office portion:

http://www.penberaparis.com/ghic.cfm

The GHIC's first approved project --Woodlands Gate-- was submitted and approved with the regional center application, and consists of 220,000 square feet of commercial, class A office space, extended stay hotel, and retail shops along highway 1-45, at the entrance to The Woodlands and proximate to the new Exxon Mobil campus. The total project cost is $66.7 million. The project company is Best Development Company (BDC), The Woodlands. The major tenant will be Lukiven, International, one of the largest gas and oil equipment, supply and service providers in Latin America. PenberaParis owns the GHIC and acts as the General Partner to BDC projects.

So, it was said at the annual Economic Outlook Conference in February that an EB-5 development would be going in at Robinson Rd. and I-45; Woodlands Parkway turns into Robinson Road on the east side of I-45.  This would be in line with the sentence in the Penbera Paris notice that states: "The GHIC's first approved project --Woodlands Gate-- was submitted and approved with the regional center application, and consists of 220,000 square feet of commercial, class A office space, extended stay hotel, and retail shops along highway 1-45, at the entrance to The Woodlands and proximate to the new Exxon Mobil campus."  "....at the entrance to The Woodlands.." Being the key part of the statement.

My bad!!!  There's more than one.  Woodlands Gate looks like it is at 1488 and 242.

So, it was said at the annual Economic Outlook Conference in February that an EB-5 development would be going in at Robinson Rd. and I-45; Woodlands Parkway turns into Robinson Road on the east side of I-45.  This would be in line with the sentence in the Penbera Paris notice that states: "The GHIC's first approved project --Woodlands Gate-- was submitted and approved with the regional center application, and consists of 220,000 square feet of commercial, class A office space, extended stay hotel, and retail shops along highway 1-45, at the entrance to The Woodlands and proximate to the new Exxon Mobil campus."  "....at the entrance to The Woodlands.." Being the key part of the statement.

My bad!!!  There's more than one.  Woodlands Gate looks like it is at 1488 and 242.

The only place that 242 and 1488 intersect is at the back of The Woodlands. If that is indeed the location, that is nowhere near I-45. So something is off here. And what is the "entrance to The Woodlands?" Is it 1488 on I-45 south? Is it Rayford/Sawdust on I-45 north? Is it Robinson Rd. to the east at the beginning of The Woodlands Parkway? None of it makes sense to be honest with you.

I made a post in another thread about an office building to be erected at the corner of I-45 and Rayford. Crabby Daddy's along with Popeyes and all the other shops in that strip center got notices last year that that property is going to be razed to make room for a highrise. At the time, I didn't give it much thought. A year later, those businesses are still thriving. Since I now live in Florida (although I'm back in The Woodlands often) somebody should stop in to Popeyes or Crabby Daddy's for lunch one day and ask if they are indeed being forced to vacate soon. I'd be interested in knowing if something has changed or not.

Here's the thread I created back in April...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30183-rayford-highrise/

This article on "Woodlands Gatway Plaza" was posted back in April:

http://impactnews.com/blogs/the-woodlands-impacts/coming-soon%3A-woodlands-gateway-plaza/

If you think something doesn't add up, take a look at the company profile for the local office of Lukiven International. It sounds like a small outpost. Exactly how much office space are they taking? The most solid tenant in the place so far is Cambria Suites.

I'm still hoping this happens, but it sounds like early days...

• 3 months later...

Archived