Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

I would have thought they would demo it for the new building but someone else said it was staying up. Seems weird they would leave it up for a coffee shop as there is one next to Reserve bar.

Unless it has changed, If you look at the plans for the Marlow, there is a "jog" in the building that seems to "jog around" the ticketmaster building.  That little jog seems to be why the pool is on the North side of the building rather than the South.  Not eanough room?

so, I do think that the little building is staying.   My gut tells me that the owner was not the same as the lot owner.

16 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I've been wondering the same thing about the sales center. This building has a tiny footprint. 

Love that. Hope they build 8 more of them on that block.

More likely, the block will have a highrise and the residents of the Marlowe who face east will be able to pass biscuits out their window to the occupants of the tower next door.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 4

On July 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

More likely, the block will have a highrise and the residents of the Marlowe who face east will be able to pass biscuits out their window to the occupants of the tower next door.

Thats nothing new. Look at the Texaco renovation for instance. The future tower/garage will block the view of many north side apartments. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hines' downtown apartment tower might have the same issue when El Big Bad is someday torn down for a tower.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went by the other day and there was nothing on the site. I also saw a sign in their pre leasing office that said they were gone, but if you needed to speak with someone and they gave a phone number.

My gut tells me that this project has come to a sad end. I hope that I'm wrong but if this looked like most of his other finished projects maybe its a relief for the east side of downtown. There's enough stucco on the east side of downtown already.

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

I went by the other day and there was nothing on the site. I also saw a sign in their pre leasing office that said they were gone, but if you needed to speak with someone and they gave a phone number.

My gut tells me that this project has come to a sad end. I hope that I'm wrong but if this looked like most of his other finished projects maybe its a relief for the east side of downtown. There's enough stucco on the east side of downtown already.

^^^ @bobruss the SUPER BOWL is coming fast and that particular street is essential.  maybe they have decided to hold off until the SB is over......

On August 26, 2016 at 0:08 PM, bobruss said:

Ran into a worker inside the perimeter fence. Asked him if it was dead. He said flatly no, held up a few weeks because of permits and would resume next week. 

Office looks dead despite the "we'll be back shortly" sign lol. Not sure what to believe at this point. 

• Like 4

i remember reading this on some post a while ago

saying that this tower, if successful, could trigger the construction of new condo towers downtown

i hope that happens, with foreign investors and domestic investors starting a nice boom downtown

• Like 2

9 hours ago, htownboy said:

i remember reading this on some post a while ago

saying that this tower, if successful, could trigger the construction of new condo towers downtown

i hope that happens, with foreign investors and domestic investors starting a nice boom downtown

I agree with you.  However, I think that there may be one other avenue for condos downtown.....

i think that many of the new apartment towers being built will be converted at some point to condos.  My gut tells me that One Park Place may convert after about, what, another 5 years?  That would mean 10 years of leasing (and making a nice profit) then convert and make another nice profit on the sale.

does anyone know the answer?  I have been told numerous times by Houstonians that OPP was originally designed as condos but they didn't sell so Finger went the apartment route.  True?  False?