Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

Wow, is it just me, or did anyone else give little chance of this breaking ground? The promotional stuff seemed kind of goofy, which made me think it was just a ploy. 

This would be the first new condo development in downtown proper that I'm aware of. I believe all the other residential projects are for lease only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

You're wrong (but not far off).  Downtown has:

1) new construction rental towers ( skyhouse I and OPP) and old ones like Houston House

2) pending rehab 'd building rentals (Texaco)

3) new construction towers pending  for lease (catalyst, market square, aris, skyhouse II) and non-towers for lease (334 etc)

4) rehab' buildings that are condos (loft style-- many on or near main) as well as the rice hotel and

5) commerce towers which is a rehab building to resi condos.  There is also the condos at the top of the four seasons.

yourare correct, I think, that this will be the first, "out of the ground" new condo building in downtown.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

So does this take up a half or quarter block. It looks like Dirt Bar is staying. Just happened to be in the general vicinity on Dallas a few blocks East of Main and it's really looking good. Can't wait till its landscaped with new signage. The new lighting  looks nice. Having this condo right next door will help entice more retail in the area. I 

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

So does this take up a half or quarter block. It looks like Dirt Bar is staying. Just happened to be in the general vicinity on Dallas a few blocks East of Main and it's really looking good. Can't wait till its landscaped with new signage. The new lighting  looks nice. Having this condo right next door will help entice more retail in the area. I 

About a quarter block.  Dirt bar is staying so, the condo pool will be a few stories above the dirt bar.  The little black ticket master building (now the sales office) is also not part of the footprint, I am told.  The condo jogs around it.

• Like 1

Cosmopolitan, Astoria, and Arabella have something in common, which I'm hoping this will too. They all get out of the ground, then next door another tower threatens their view. 

He builds first, sells the units, and wipes his hands clean. Fingers crossed the remainder of the surface lot sees something else. Even though there's not much of a view that direction anyways.

15 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Cosmopolitan, Astoria, and Arabella have something in common, which I'm hoping this will too. They all get out of the ground, then next door another tower threatens their view. 

He builds first, sells the units, and wipes his hands clean. Fingers crossed the remainder of the surface lot sees something else. Even though there's not much of a view that direction anyways.

Where were you drinking tonight?

58 minutes ago, Triton said:

Were some of the comments deleted here or am I in the wrong thread? Didn't somebody here say the design completely changed?

Wrong thread. I believe you're thinking about the Arabella (a.k.a. Dúmpsterella) which did have small (and trashy) tweak to it's design. 

:)

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Where were you drinking tonight?

Drinking at 0900? Of course! What planet do

you live on? :rolleyes:

Seriously he gets out of the ground, once all the units are sold, news breaks of a tower next door, tenants get angry. Arabella hasn't completed yet, but we all know something is cooking on the lot facing the loop. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Drinking at 0900? Of course! What planet do

you live on? :rolleyes:

Seriously he gets out of the ground, once all the units are sold, news breaks of a tower next door, tenants get angry. Arabella hasn't completed yet, but we all know something is cooking on the lot facing the loop. 

The west side of this tower should have protected views for a while. I think you'd be crazy to buy something on the east side. 

According to the Chronicle, the Marlowe is only half sold

"We're almost half sold and we obtained favorable financing that's just hard to walk away from," Davis said of the new project, Marlowe. "We feel like the market will be healed in the next 18 months or so and we'll be delivering product shortly thereafter."

"We only need 95 customers in city of 4 million people," he said.

I didn't realize there were so few units - makes sense when I look at the floor plans.  

Also another article at HBJ - seems to have the same information

• Like 2