Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

Picked up by the HBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/10/21/exclusivehouston-developer-aims-to-build.html

"The Houston real estate developer plans to partner with local entrepreneur Roberto Contreras on the Class A project, called Marlowe."

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2

From the Chronicle:

"A source said Davis’ site is near the House of Blues, which is at the east end of the Green Street development on Caroline between Dallas and Polk."

This would suggest he's looking to close on Block 276, based on the Downtown numbering map previously provided in this thread.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2010-04-07/Block_Numbering.pdf

• Like 1

From the Chronicle:

"A source said Davis’ site is near the House of Blues, which is at the east end of the Green Street development on Caroline between Dallas and Polk."

This would suggest he's looking to close on Block 276, based on the Downtown numbering map previously provided in this thread.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2010-04-07/Block_Numbering.pdf

block 276? i hope not.. those residents would have an excellent view of a power transformer sub station thingy next door...

could it be the vacant portion of block 275? the views wouldnt be much better for the short term, but at least there is hope the rental car place or whatever it is could eventually move.

Edited by cloud713

What building isn't going to have a good view of that?? lol

The city really needs come up with a plan to dress that with something interesting and contemporary it help cover it. I'm sure it would be an interesting challenge for any arch firm or design firm.

• Like 1

What building isn't going to have a good view of that?? lol

The city really needs come up with a plan to dress that with something interesting and contemporary it help cover it. I'm sure it would be an interesting challenge for any arch firm or design firm.

true.. i would be ecstatic if they just put alternating spaced decorative aluminum panels over the sides and top, kind of like the facade on Dymano Stadium or TDECU Stadium, to mask the power substation. it needs SOMETHING.

• Like 2

From the cryptic pieces of information we've been provided, my best guess:  the surface lot next to The Dirt Bar on Block 275, corner of Caroline and Polk, probably taking out the little car rental building, or whatever that tiny building is.

Another good candidate is the corner of Block 276 at Dallas and Austin.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

My guess is this is 275. This tower wont take up a full block. Which means there will be more interesting things that can develop >>> resulting in a more urban block.

Sounds like a win win.

I just hope there are columns and dragons everywhere.

From the cryptic pieces of information we've been provided, my best guess:  the surface lot next to The Dirt Bar on Block 275, corner of Caroline and Polk, probably taking out the little car rental building, or whatever that tiny building is.

Another good candidate is the corner of Block 276 at Dallas and Austin.

bingo.

• Like 4

so my second guess was right then? block 275, next to the hodge podge of single story buildings.. sweet. kind of kills any possibility of GreenStreet expanding another block but oh well. Midway can get creative and find a way to add in a residential component to their development somewhere im sure.

has Randy ever put GFR into any of his projects? since this is on the planned retail corridor this would obviously be a prime project to start implementing it.

Edited by cloud713

has Randy ever put GFR into any of his projects? since this is on the planned retail corridor this would obviously be a prime project to start implementing it.

In order to get DLI money, they would have to include mixed-use don't they?

• Like 1

I would imagine that the Mayor and her team require all new construction along the Dallas corridor to have retail.  I don't know which lot was sold, but i CAN rule out block 251.  I recently had the conversation with an anonymous source that the owner rejected an offer of $450/SF; which is unheard of for land sales.

• Like 1

You can see a differentiation in the pavement in the northwest quadrant of Block 276 which is probably the outline of the property being sold. This thing takes a big bite out of the heart of the hoped for retail district, and compromises whatever else could be put on that block, so here's hoping it will have a sumptuous GFR component, although that will probably be modest. The low buildings on the north side of Dallas St. going west should preserve a view corridor to the rest of downtown, although much of the view could be blocked by whatever eventually goes up on 275 immediately west.

Edited by H-Town Man