Dakota79

Marlowe: 20-floors, Downtown Condo Tower

Sounds awesome! I hope it's on the South side of the park. That part of Downtown urgently needs some nice development.

• Like 1

I heard from a realtor friend that Randall has secured a site near Discovery Green for a 20+- story condo tower. Supposedly it is "sexy". We shall see.

Anyone heard anything?

"Sexy" in Randall Davis' terminology just means a ten-story half-naked statue in front. :P

The more "+" on the number of floors, the better. B)

• Like 1

I heard from a realtor friend that Randall has secured a site near Discovery Green for a 20+- story condo tower. Supposedly it is "sexy". We shall see.

Anyone heard anything?

I'd love for it to be on the Embassy Suites site.

• Like 3

This is incredible news! We've all been waiting for a condo tower to come downtown, and hopefully we're finally getting one  :)

Edited by fkp5

well, there is one thing that i can truly espouse about old randall davis... he does indeed have an unquenchable thirst for adventure....

• Like 3

This is correct. It is not on the embassy suite site but it is replacing a parking lot near there.

yes!  now you see there swtsig... you have me doing the EF HUTTON stop... look... and listen... thing again...

This is correct. It is not on the embassy suite site but it is replacing a parking lot near there.

I'm gonna call my shot - Block 251

If it's any of the blocks in front of the Toyota Center (251, 276, 291) then that is huge (for me anyways lol). Block 251 would be on the dallas street retail corridor thingy and a block that I believed that was rumored here for a possible W or Ritz hotel site, so idk about that one. But who knows??

Ive been told it's black and white and unlike anything Randall has done in the past. (That's a relief)

I'll believe it when I see it...

• Like 1

alessandra-dallas-west.jpg

hopefully his "sexy" inspiration shall stem from hotel alessandra.

what better inspiration than this...

• Like 2

Sources: It's Block 251. 102 stories with a W Hotel. Described as an even taller Sky House cause one can never have enough of that design in Downtown.

• Like 1

Ive been told it's black and white and unlike anything Randall has done in the past. (That's a relief)

Damn, someone else stole my pun... :angry:

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1

Damn, someone else stole my pun... :angry:

Get out of here with your puns! What do you think this is? Reddit?

• Like 5

Do you know what materials will be used? Will it be glass?

Do you know what materials will be used? Will it be glass?

I will ask. I can't imagine how it would be black and white.

• Like 1

I will ask. I can't imagine how it would be black and white.

I can ...if the Black & White exterior rumor is true, that sounds like The Titan.

titan-rocketship.jpg

• Like 1

I can ...if the Black & White exterior rumor is true, that sounds like The Titan.

titan-rocketship.jpg

I'd be okay with that as long as they improve the base.

• Like 2

Picked up by the HBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/10/21/exclusivehouston-developer-aims-to-build.html

"The Houston real estate developer plans to partner with local entrepreneur Roberto Contreras on the Class A project, called Marlowe."

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2

It says it will be on Avenida de las Americas, so does that mean it will go on the big lot next to the Marriott Marquis?

From the Chronicle:

"A source said Davis’ site is near the House of Blues, which is at the east end of the Green Street development on Caroline between Dallas and Polk."

This would suggest he's looking to close on Block 276, based on the Downtown numbering map previously provided in this thread.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2010-04-07/Block_Numbering.pdf

• Like 1

The Chron article says it will be next to the House of Blues. It seems we have conflicting information.

The Chron article says it will be next to the House of Blues. It seems we have conflicting information.

Yes, it will be close to GreenStreet.

It's good that it isn't the 251 block. If I remember from past planning schemes it's desired to turn 251 into a retail anchor. 276 would be good for residential.

From the Chronicle:

"A source said Davis’ site is near the House of Blues, which is at the east end of the Green Street development on Caroline between Dallas and Polk."

This would suggest he's looking to close on Block 276, based on the Downtown numbering map previously provided in this thread.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2010-04-07/Block_Numbering.pdf

block 276? i hope not.. those residents would have an excellent view of a power transformer sub station thingy next door...

could it be the vacant portion of block 275? the views wouldnt be much better for the short term, but at least there is hope the rental car place or whatever it is could eventually move.

Edited by cloud713

What building isn't going to have a good view of that?? lol

The city really needs come up with a plan to dress that with something interesting and contemporary it help cover it. I'm sure it would be an interesting challenge for any arch firm or design firm.

• Like 1

What building isn't going to have a good view of that?? lol

The city really needs come up with a plan to dress that with something interesting and contemporary it help cover it. I'm sure it would be an interesting challenge for any arch firm or design firm.

true.. i would be ecstatic if they just put alternating spaced decorative aluminum panels over the sides and top, kind of like the facade on Dymano Stadium or TDECU Stadium, to mask the power substation. it needs SOMETHING.

• Like 2

Less than half an acre? So it's. It an entire

Block.

Less than half an acre? So it's. It an entire

Block.

A downtown block comes in just under an acre and a half.

From the cryptic pieces of information we've been provided, my best guess:  the surface lot next to The Dirt Bar on Block 275, corner of Caroline and Polk, probably taking out the little car rental building, or whatever that tiny building is.

Another good candidate is the corner of Block 276 at Dallas and Austin.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

My guess is this is 275. This tower wont take up a full block. Which means there will be more interesting things that can develop >>> resulting in a more urban block.

Sounds like a win win.

I just hope there are columns and dragons everywhere.