Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

Man, we always wanted a residential, hotel, and commercial component for GreenStreet. If it really is 275, The Marlowe coupled with The Alessandra will actually make it happen ...(kinda, but it's close enough)

Edited by tigereye

Breaking News! Swamplot has the first rendering for the building!

randall-davis-tower-proposal-revised.jpg

lol Of course this is just a joke, but to the guy that made this, brilliant!

Zeppelin Dirigibles!!! I sense a comeback. Screw trains, flying cars, etc. Highly explosive and extremely slow balloons are the future!  

• Like 3

I respect Randall Davis. His architecture is controversial, but I think it's good the we have the balance of styles. It seems he tries to give a classic vibe to his buildings. Some have turned out better than others.

That being said, I am excited to see what he comes up with. He has a vision that's his own. I just hope he maintains a consistent architectural theme.

• Like 1

$1,500.

I am actually quite surprised at how the price of rentals has moved in the last two years. It is still possible to find luxury apartments in reasonably new buildings in Fort Worth for under $2,000 a month for a two-bedroom, 1300 sf unit. The same building offered in Houston (by the same developer) can be over $2,500 a month. Supply has not kept up with demand, so it's a landlord's market. And it will probably remain that way for a few years, even with all the new construction coming to market.

Of course, if you're willing to live out in Katy, you might get a price break. A small one.

• Like 1

$1,500.

I am actually quite surprised at how the price of rentals has moved in the last two years. It is still possible to find luxury apartments in reasonably new buildings in Fort Worth for under $2,000 a month for a two-bedroom, 1300 sf unit. The same building offered in Houston (by the same developer) can be over $2,500 a month. Supply has not kept up with demand, so it's a landlord's market. And it will probably remain that way for a few years, even with all the new construction coming to market.

Of course, if you're willing to live out in Katy, you might get a price break. A small one.

http://www.m5250galleriahouston.com/p/apartments/floorplans_9899/houston-tx-77056/m5250-9899#k=11712

Edit: Click on the 8th page. 534sqft studio $1,675 per month.

Edited by Montrose1100

Pardon me for being out of the loop on this. I went to Randall davis's website and the architecture didnt seem too crazy to me. Can someone give me examples as to why his works are so loathed?

well, this is indeed a bit difficult to so casually explain my pal purdueenginerd.  i mean.. oh my, this is so very difficult... you see, we all love randall davis and his continuous thirst for adventure.  however, there are times when he announces a brand new edifice to be placed upon our fair city... the architecture seems to be a bit over the top.  or there is always something that seems amiss... whereby in scope and overall scale of the structure itself.

there may be loads of statues / gargoyles / king tut's / phoenix's ect..  i guess that what i'm trying so hard to articulate is that... whatever theme his current edifice is trying to convey... you just may acquire a theme overload to the extent that the completed rendering is somewhat difficult to imagine in the city of houston... or actually, anywhere upon this earth.

but hey, we do so love randy and his continuous thirst for adventure.  we are just continuously trying as per all of our might... to love his structures.  (did i do a decent job of explaining this?)

• Like 3

well, this is indeed a bit difficult to so casually explain my pal purdueenginerd. i mean.. oh my, this is so very difficult... you see, we all love randall davis and his continuous thirst for adventure. however, there are times when he announces a brand new edifice to be placed upon our fair city... the architecture seems to be a bit over the top. or there is always something that seems amiss... whereby in scope and overall scale of the structure itself.

there may be loads of statues / gargoyles / king tut's / phoenix's ect.. i guess that what i'm trying so hard to articulate is that... whatever theme his current edifice is trying to convey... you just may acquire a theme overload to the extent that the completed rendering is somewhat difficult to imagine in the city of houston... or actually, anywhere upon this earth.

but hey, we do so love randy and his continuous thirst for adventure. we are just continuously trying as per all of our might... to love his structures. (did i do a decent job of explaining this?)

I would say you did a perfect job. It's great that he has a vision and even competes it. We (IMHO) would rather the details emphasize quality rather than quantity.

And he never quite "finishes" them. That's my main gripe. Go by any of them. All the first ones are detailed on one or two sides and then look worse than our downtown jail on the other sides. (Forgetting that they can be seen from all 4 sides). And the Cosmopolitan needs a spire or something as it looks "lopped" off at the top. Still, they do provide infill and they do always find buyers. So who are we to judge?

• Like 3

It’s the textbook definition of gaudy. The Cosmopolitan has actually grown on me with the color choices of glass it looks very clean in the morning and afternoon light. The Parking garage podium it rests on is a different story. I guess they could be worse? Maybe he could have stuck with the beige stucco (faux-mediterranean), theme of 1200 Post Oak, the condo towers surrounding Uptown Park, the Hotel Granduca, and the Dominion on Post Oak that have beset our Uptown skyline in the early 2000′s.

The Renoir Lofts were executed nicely, but you can almost tell their budget fell short on the northern portion of the building. If you are going to do these grand designs, might as well stick to them on the entire project and not just a few sides or leave out the garage.

Just copied and pasted from SWAMPLOT. lazy

• Like 2

It should be encouraging affordable housing, not just high-end units that most people can't afford.

Affordable housing is directly north of downtown and there is still some on the east side, although you'll have to go further east. As far as affordable housing in the loop, I would prefer to see a greater interest in college housing along the rail. 

I like this initiative because it concentrates development, which is a big reason why Houston doesn't seem to have urban continuity but pockets. 

• 3 weeks later...