Marlowe: Condominium High-Rise At 1211 Caroline St.

Dakota79

Something that everyone should consider when comparing the two projects is the fact that in either of these luxury or semi luxury units most of these residents will be getting in their cars and driving anywhere they need to go. I bet very few of the people who already

live in high rise units in the Uptown or downtown walk to many events. Its unfortunate but its not in our culture to walk when we can

just get in our cars. I know this is wrong and we have to change this mindset, but reality is none of the high rises are really that

close for most wealthy people to walk around Post Oak or San Felipe in their Manola Blancs and Gucci's. Sorry but it just doesn't

happen. The only people I ever see out on the sidewalks in Uptown/Galleria for the most part are people walking to the bus stops or asking for change at the intersections. Its the way the parking lots eat up so much space between one retail space after another. Our system is built for the automobile and until hat changes it will remain a society driven by cars.

Don't get me wrong but a perfect example is all of our stadiums are covered and rarely open unless its a perfect cool day.

The fans complain if its not closed.

I really wish it was different like in Midtown where there is a conscientious effort underway to make it a more cohesive living working playing environment that emphasizes walking.

• Like 1

Something that everyone should consider when comparing the two projects is the fact that in either of these luxury or semi luxury units most of these residents will be getting in their cars and driving anywhere they need to go. I bet very few of the people who already

live in high rise units in the Uptown or downtown walk to many events. Its unfortunate but its not in our culture to walk when we can

just get in our cars. I know this is wrong and we have to change this mindset, but reality is none of the high rises are really that

close for most wealthy people to walk around Post Oak or San Felipe in their Manola Blancs and Gucci's. Sorry but it just doesn't

happen. The only people I ever see out on the sidewalks in Uptown/Galleria for the most part are people walking to the bus stops or asking for change at the intersections. Its the way the parking lots eat up so much space between one retail space after another. Our system is built for the automobile and until hat changes it will remain a society driven by cars.

Don't get me wrong but a perfect example is all of our stadiums are covered and rarely open unless its a perfect cool day.

The fans complain if its not closed.

I really wish it was different like in Midtown where there is a conscientious effort underway to make it a more cohesive living working playing environment that emphasizes walking.

I really think the complaint about the climate is getting old. I do agree with you though 100%. The culture is changing in certain areas of the city. Mainly in the older parts of the city, like from downtown to the TMC. Most of that area is completely walkable. My gf and I walk that area all the time. With the changes being made to Post Oak, I think the area will become way more walkable. 

• Like 1

This is why, when people joke or argue about GFR, in new projects downtown, I can't understand why people think its funny.

If the retail spaces aren't planned when the apartments or buildings are built its much more difficult to come in later and try to add.

You have to have things to walk to relatively close to develop the type of culture we all want. You can't ask people to walk 4 blocks

between stores or service oriented establishments. Once you have areas in place that develop this way you start seeing much more pedestrian flow. Perfect example is the Post properties West main/Bagby area and the Ensemble theater rail stop with the burgeoning

neighborhood of residents, shops, clubs, theaters and restaurants. People enjoy walking in those types of areas. I walk all the time

and I'm 65. Granted on 100 degree days I'm staying inside. Its just not fun out there in the humidity unless you want to sweat.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Reserve 101 and Dirt Bar last night after walking over from the ballpark.  Talk about a great date, all the construction along the way to talk about. I have to say, location wise, Marlowe is spot on.  I stood outside Dirt smoking and watched all the upcoming shows scroll through the marquee at House of Blues and thought how cool would it be to live across from a successful Green Street and Shopping District. Nice enough looking building for me to want to live in. I think Randall Davis made a smart move on this one.  

Edited by adr
  • Like 6

I was at Reserve 101 and Dirt Bar last night after walking over from the ballpark. Talk about a great date, all the construction along the way to talk about. I have to say, location wise, Marlowe is spot on. I stood outside Dirt smoking and watched all the upcoming shows scroll through the marquee at House of Blues and thought how cool would it be to live across from a successful Green Street and Shopping District. Nice enough looking building for me to want to live in. I think Randall Davis made a smart move on this one.

It sounds dope though right? Damn, what it must be like to be in the 1%

If you're paying $2,800 in rent, PM me.

Their marketing angle strikes me as a bit cynical. "Spend $2,800 a month on my project, I've done the math, trust me".  Most anyone in a position to spend that kind of money does their own math or trusts someone who will do it for them.  If I recall correctly, his figures assume very little down and a high marginal tax rate to get a big net pop out of the mortgage interest tax deduction.  There aren't going to be too many folks that can swing that kind of payment that aren't already crowding the phase out of the deduction.

If you like it and you can afford it, more power to you, but this isn't the type of place for folks counting pennies.

What the marketing campaign is overlooking in its rent comparison is that a condo comes with a mortgage of $2,800 PLUS property taxes and any other additional costs (maintenance fees, insurance, etc.). Rent payments  is a simplified number.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31284-marlowe-20-floors-downtown-condo-tower/page-8

Math actually includes property tax and HOA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Randall Davis spokesman told me it starts either next month or the beginning of next year. I'm thinking the later.

Great news. I am excited for this. Hopefully this is the catapult for more development on the east side of downtown, specifically the retail that is supposed to come on Dallas St. Not to get too off topic, but any word in regards to that?

• Like 1