Lot At Commerce St. And La Branch St.

houstontexasjack

I think that land is owned by the City of Houston/Buffalo Bayou Partnership and is planned to be used to widen Buffalo Bayou (flood control) and develop the BBP's Commerce Street Promenade park.  I doubt it's actually for sale.  Interestingly, Cushman & Wakefield and those particular individual brokers represented the sellers when the city bought the land.  Is the sign perhaps still there from before that transaction?  (Realtors don't mind their sign staying on a property... anything that can get the phone ringing...)

Again, the jail(s) locations REALLY put a damper on the Buffalo Bayou redo.  Imagine if those were empty lots!  A shame.  Truly a shame.  We are at the earliest 20 years away from seeing these terds being ground into dust and redeveloped into something worth a damn.  See - this is where lack of a cohesive city plan back in 1990something really screwed not 1, but 2 neighborhoods (I don't personally consider the area north of the Bayou to be a part of Downtown).  Maybe even three, since eventually these monstrosities will be demo'd and built anew some place else.

The jails in and of themselves should not cause any great damper on development.  The federal detention facility does not seem to bother anyone in its neighborhood.  Develop the area, and the jails can be largely unnoticed.

You think so?  I think they put a damper on the area.  Who would want to buy a home directly across from a jail?  A few people wouldn't mind - clearly - but the majority would rather not.

The point being was that the jails themselves are on prime, prime property.  They're large, ugly, and not neighbors one would wish to find down the way.

You think so?  I think they put a damper on the area.  Who would want to buy a home directly across from a jail?  A few people wouldn't mind - clearly - but the majority would rather not.

The point being was that the jails themselves are on prime, prime property.  They're large, ugly, and not neighbors one would wish to find down the way.

I don't know that anyone needs to build a home directly across from any of the jail buildings in order for the area to be developed. But for what it's worth, Keystone Lofts sit directly across the street from the federal jail.

I get the point that the jails are on what is now becoming prime property.  But waterfront property having been developed in a less than prime way is hardly unique to Houston.  Cities all over the place used to turn their backs on their waterfronts.   These jail buildings will make better neighbors for development than a lot of the industrial properties that have lined other cities' waterfronts.   They are relatively clean, innocuous buildings that will largely disappear into the background once the area around them is developed.

I don't know that anyone needs to build a home directly across from any of the jail buildings in order for the area to be developed. But for what it's worth, Keystone Lofts sit directly across the street from the federal jail.

I get the point that the jails are on what is now becoming prime property. But waterfront property having been developed in a less than prime way is hardly unique to Houston. Cities all over the place used to turn their backs on their waterfronts. These jail buildings will make better neighbors for development than a lot of the industrial properties that have lined other cities' waterfronts. They are relatively clean, innocuous buildings that will largely disappear into the background once the area around them is developed.

I kind of feel the same way. Fortunately they don't really look like jails..

I should note that townhomes sit right next to the Harris County Psychiatric Center (where the involuntarily committed are sent). The mere presence of a jail, which has a similarly negative connotation, would not appear to be a dealbreaker as far as development. I'd think we'd see more bayou development once other areas of Downtown get filled in.

I get the point that the jails are on what is now becoming prime property. But waterfront property having been developed in a less than prime way is hardly unique to Houston. Cities all over the place used to turn their backs on their waterfronts. These jail buildings will make better neighbors for development than a lot of the industrial properties that have lined other cities' waterfronts. They are relatively clean, innocuous buildings that will largely disappear into the background once the area around them is developed.

That is well said.

A jail is likely a better neighbor than a smelter.

As much as I think it has potential, I'm familiar with downtown Fort Worth, and despite the grand plans for the banks of the Trinity, Panther Island is still an open-air concert venue. The offices/retail/residential has yet to materialize.

And no one's thinking in terms of turning the power plant adjacent to North Main into a concert venue. At least not yet. 

• The title was changed to Lot At Commerce St. And La Branch St. Along Buffalo Bayou
  • The title was changed to Lot At Commerce St. And La Branch St.

Archived