Collision Cultural Center

HTexas

There's some variance signs "Collision Cultural Center" posted on three sides of streets bordering Tuam @ Baldwin, Drew between Helena and Baldwin, and Tuam between Helena and Baldwin. The signs state "Cultural Colision Center". There are some old buildings on the property which is next to a Mercedes repair shop. Anyone have any info on what's going on? Looks like it is temporarily being used as parking by the bar across the street.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that the property was bought by Thomas Will Robinson and his goal was to build an Art Car Garage there, along with an art gallery, perhaps a restaurant and yoga space. Very ambitious project. Going to level most but not all of the buildings and rebuild. Would be tremendous addition to the neighborhood.

"Existing building structure will have an independent metal structure topped with synthetic wood and a metal guardrail

system around its upper perimeter. Mechanically fixed to the deck structure will be a metal frame and roof canopy

assembly that will have solar panels mounted flat to the top plain of the canopy with 6x mechanically fixed, demechanized automobile shells as art/signage on the deck below the solar roof canopy assembly."

• 2 months later...

I'd be super excited if this happens. I live a couple blocks West on Drew, and walk past this every day two and from the light rail/bus. I had been wondering about that sign for months, then one day a little before Halloween there was a guy out front of the space on Drew (they were setting up the existing garage/warehouse structure for what looked like a bangin Halloween party), and he explained the above to me. I vaguely remember bar or cafe from our conversation (not restaurant), but things sounded very much up in the air.

Does anyone else miss the great street art that had been on the Drew side of thtat building? It was a black and white portrait done in what I guessed was spray paint, but with amazing detail. I don't know exactly what it was a portrait of (and it's been down for at least 6 months now, if not a year), but it always reminded me of a portrait of Desiderius Erasmus I remember from my Euro history class (something like this: http://www.notablebiographies.com/images/uewb_04_img0263.jpg )

I enjoyed it every day, particularly days with a lot of light. The guy I chatted with told me they had to take the whole exterior off that wall, because the city deemed it unsafe, so that's what happened to the portrait. With that gone and the Midtown Community Garden gone, I've lost the two highlights of my walk. The only interesting thing now is the demo/rebuild on that old long-term-care hospital property on Drew between Albany & Helena. Feels like that work has moved pretty quickly.

• 6 months later...

I'd be super excited if this happens. I live a couple blocks West on Drew, and walk past this every day two and from the light rail/bus. I had been wondering about that sign for months, then one day a little before Halloween there was a guy out front of the space on Drew (they were setting up the existing garage/warehouse structure for what looked like a bangin Halloween party), and he explained the above to me. I vaguely remember bar or cafe from our conversation (not restaurant), but things sounded very much up in the air.

Does anyone else miss the great street art that had been on the Drew side of thtat building? It was a black and white portrait done in what I guessed was spray paint, but with amazing detail. I don't know exactly what it was a portrait of (and it's been down for at least 6 months now, if not a year), but it always reminded me of a portrait of Desiderius Erasmus I remember from my Euro history class (something like this: http://www.notablebiographies.com/images/uewb_04_img0263.jpg )

I enjoyed it every day, particularly days with a lot of light. The guy I chatted with told me they had to take the whole exterior off that wall, because the city deemed it unsafe, so that's what happened to the portrait. With that gone and the Midtown Community Garden gone, I've lost the two highlights of my walk. The only interesting thing now is the demo/rebuild on that old long-term-care hospital property on Drew between Albany & Helena. Feels like that work has moved pretty quickly.

I was thinking about "street art"

Maybe that's what the MMD will be giving the residents with the new "light up" --M sign at Bagby and Elgin?

• The title was changed to Collision Cultural Center

Archived