Can the Boom Continue?

Haha... well there was another thread somewhere on this forum a few months back where people thought the boom would last forever. That this was the new normal. Even without the fall in oil prices, this could have been seen a mile away. It's basic economics... . Based on the internal data I've seen, I think there will be a shift more towards buying rather than renting. As lending continues to improve, it just doesn't make sense to rent for $3600 a month when monthly payments for a mortgage will hover not too far from that number. Not worried about a crash but this market will not be as red hot going into 2016 (yes, 2016).

this has been happening for a few months. i mentioned probably two months ago that the spigot for multifamily equity had already begun to dry up with condo seeing an uptick. and this was before the drastic decline in oil prices.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some projects will get delayed and more houses will get built, probably out in the suburbs. Rents on apartments will go down. Driving will be cheaper so we can do more. Oil and gas will keep flowing. Not too bad for a correction.

And layoffs

HBJ has a different take on all this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/11/21/report-houston-apartment-rents-will-continue-to.html

According to Transwestern, vacancies are down to 9%, and rents are way up. This might be the big reason Class A's are more vacant than B and C properties.

The absorption rate is still 20,000 units a year, so that would take care of everything either under construction or proposed in two years.

20,000 is less than 24,000 that are expected to open.

24000 under construction and need for 19000 next year it says. The article doesn't state the 24000 will be complete next year. A good deal of them won't be ready for a few more years, no?

Very correct. Many of the high rise apartments will take awhile (years to complete) I think we will be right on line to meet demand.

Haha... well there was another thread somewhere on this forum a few months back where people thought the boom would last forever. That this was the new normal. Even without the fall in oil prices, this could have been seen a mile away. It's basic economics... . Based on the internal data I've seen, I think there will be a shift more towards buying rather than renting. As lending continues to improve, it just doesn't make sense to rent for $3600 a month when monthly payments for a mortgage will hover not too far from that number. Not worried about a crash but this market will not be as red hot going into 2016 (yes, 2016).

They aren't going to have enough single family homes to meet the demand. Houston needs to find residences for 125,000 or 150,000 people a year. We're on a pace to build 28,000 single family and 24,000 multifamily units this year, yet the supply of houses on the market continues to shrink.

And who wants to commute in from Brookshire?

Are you hoping for a drastic downturn so you can afford to move out of your parents house?

I haven't lived with my parents in 12 years

it's pretty peculiar to see the hard-on you get spinning every bit of Houston news in a negative light.

It's not negative it's just predictive analysis. Please stop being a homer you are the Matt Bullard of haif.

There's also this

Houston has one of the most overvalued housing markets in the country, according to a national real estate website

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/10/houston-may-be-headed-toward-a-housing-bubble.html?s=image_gallery

Houston is at the bottom of the list at +8% vs fundamentals.  Austin is at +19%.  I think we can wait this one out.

Railed by who? It was a fair discussion until a couple of childish posts.

You mean like this one?

Please stop being a homer you are the Matt Bullard of haif.

On haif you are offended by any uneducated comment made against Houston

fify. coincidentally you seem to make the brunt of those comments. i've made plenty of OBJECTIVELY negative comments towards Houston.

here's a little exercise for you - name one positive thing about Houston.

fify. coincidentally you seem to make the brunt of those comments. i've made plenty of OBJECTIVELY negative comments towards Houston.

here's a little exercise for you - name one positive thing about Houston.

You want one positive thing about Houston?

Thanks to Transwestern, Delta Associates, the George Mason University Center for Regional Analysis, and the B.E.A., we can take a closer look.

== Hou-Galv core industries 2013  (last completed yr)  as percent of gross regional product ==

Energy/Tech/FIRE & Transport/Warehousing/Trade & Manufacturing:  77%

Education/Health/Gov't:  11%

Non-core Industries:  7%

Construction:  5%

== Hou-Galv core industries 2008   as percent of gross regional product ==

Energy/Tech/FIRE & Transport/Warehousing/Trade & Manufacturing:  50%

Non-core Industries:  29%

Education/Health/Gov't:  12%

Construction:  9%

That doesn't bark like diversification to me.  Granted, the dollar lost value between the 2008 dollars that recorded $269 billion in gross regional product and the 2013 dollars that chalked up $468 billion, but not many of us look under the hood of those pretty Gross Metropolitan Product statistics.  Our nominal growth rate is not going to continue, and when that becomes evident, we're not going to look like such a haven for slower, other city regions' investment capital, and the virtuous circle of optimism will unravel.

I dare not bring the chickenhawks fluttering out by comparing to sibling city regions, but here are links to  2013  and to  2008  from the same data sources, for the curious.

Archived