• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only has Randall, made major changes to the facade and the use of materials, he's lost that beautifully sensitive curved glass wall.

It looks boxy, stiff and cluttered now. 

Randall never follows through in the execution of his projects.  I've yet to see a finished project that looked even close

to the renderings that were advertised. Just when I thought he'd raised the bar with this project and was finally  going to succeed, he tripped again.

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The areas where they have replaced glass with the solid facade materials are almost entirely bedrooms (and some bathrooms).  Maybe the market for all-glass bedrooms is not quite as large as originally imagined.

This is and interesting thought.

But, what if a purchaser (I.e. They already signed a contract for a unit based on the prior design) actually liked all the glass and only now finds out that their unit will not have all that glass.  I wonder if the purchaser can now back out of the contract?  I have no idea how these "pre-construction" contracts work.

Not buying the glass/bedroom excuse. Are there no bedrooms on the southern side of the building or upper floors? This is a cost-curtting measure pure and simple. Replace glass with cheaper EIFS and profits increase. It's his right to make more $ but it's my right to say it now looks solidly mediocre rather than potentially beautiful.

13 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Not buying the glass/bedroom excuse. Are there no bedrooms on the southern side of the building or upper floors? This is a cost-curtting measure pure and simple. Replace glass with cheaper EIFS and profits increase. It's his right to make more $ but it's my right to say it now looks solidly mediocre rather than potentially beautiful.

Yes there are bedrooms on the southern portion of the building's west wall, but as it happens, not nearly as many as on the northern portion; and there has also been some glass removed from the southern portions of the building, but as it happens, not as much... coincidence?.  But in any case, the theory that this may be in reaction to there not being as much market for all glass bedrooms as had been imagined is not suggesting that there is no market for all glass bedrooms.

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

This is and interesting thought.

But, what if a purchaser (I.e. They already signed a contract for a unit based on the prior design) actually liked all the glass and only now finds out that their unit will not have all that glass.  I wonder if the purchaser can now back out of the contract?  I have no idea how these "pre-construction" contracts work.

Excellent question.  I would think/hope there would be an opportunity to cancel (and get your deposit back) if there are significant design changes.  (Note to self for when I purchase a high-rise condo sometime down the road...)

52 minutes ago, SkylineView said:

Another week, no movement on site.  Forms still up from 20 days ago.

As explained above, there was a redesign, which means that there will be a slight drlay.

i still think this is cause for the collapse of the Houston economy and the death of a city. Everyone start gathering supplies, it's about to get all Fury Road up in this delicate flower.

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

As explained above, there was a redesign, which means that there will be a slight drlay.

i still think this is cause for the collapse of the Houston economy and the death of a city. Everyone start gathering supplies, it's about to get all Fury Road up in this delicate flower.

You will arrive at the gates of Arabella, shiny and chrome.

I'm going to be in the minority, but I don't hate it. It was handsome and now not quite so handsome, but in the end I don't know if I like it less than, say, the Sky Houses. They say humans feel twice as much pain with loss than they feel pleasure with gain, so I can understand why one would be upset with the "blah"-ization of the building, but my thoughts are still this: well, it's tall.

I'm sorry but once they are built there pretty much there forever, so I don't subscribe to the build baby build program. I would prefer quality design

and not this bait and switch method he tends to practice. I think he's really destroyed the integrity of the original design.

Look what we have on the east side of downtown now. The Embassy suites and the Hampton two unattractive buildings that don't pass muster.

keep-calm-you-just-got-punked.png

^^^ ok HAIF, i am now ready.  i am now ready for randall davis to just pop out of one of houston's famous wine bars to relay to all of us that we are being PUNKED!  yes, that's it... we are being PUNKED... right?  i for one, simply refuse to believe that good ole "tricky dick" randall has suddenly decided to pounce out of nowhere to bestow to this community

a brand new rendering / concept of his once gorgeous ARABELLA in all of her once striking glory, to a building that looks as though it's going through a constant metamorphosis.  i mean really!  this new concept reminds me of a transformer or a shapeshifter.  he took the once proud ASTORIA, and turned it into something akin to a light beamer straight to planet mars or even pluto.  now, he has taken the once beautiful dress / gown off of ARABELLA, and turned her into a cheaply dressed harlot!  randall, my pal, if you can see me.. if you can hear me.. i beg of you, please tell us that we are being PUNKED!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, H-TownChris2 said:

I have a pretty reliable source and they're still changing the design of the building due to financial problems, same happened with Astoria, what you guys seen up there isn't official yet. 

--400.png

^^^ well, if they keep having these financial difficulties as per their developments, then why for the love of GOD, do they keep on developing more projects?

pretty soon, beautiful ARABELLA... is going to end up resembling STEPHEN KING'S DARK TOWER.....

On 6/9/2016 at 0:04 PM, Houston19514 said:

Yes there are bedrooms on the southern portion of the building's west wall, but as it happens, not nearly as many as on the northern portion; and there has also been some glass removed from the southern portions of the building, but as it happens, not as much... coincidence?.  But in any case, the theory that this may be in reaction to there not being as much market for all glass bedrooms as had been imagined is not suggesting that there is no market for all glass bedrooms.

These units, like the Cosmo, will almost all have remote blinds.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the same update. You left out the photo of the exterior rendering that looks just like the original. So is the building proceeding as originally envisioned, despite rumors on this board? Or is RD really going to do a last minute swap and eliminate tons of windows?

Archived