lockmat

Randall Davis 99-unit Arabella, 33-floors (Westcreek) 4521 San Felipe

On 9/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

Did anybody else notice the top floor is a different shade of glass? Could have been the weather?

It has been like that since it was installed. Haven't been able able to figure out why. It annoys me to look at so I was hoping there was a logical explanation.

3 hours ago, thatguysly said:

It has been like that since it was installed. Haven't been able able to figure out why. It annoys me to look at so I was hoping there was a logical explanation.

Probably the most logical explanation knowing RD is that they ran out of glass when they got to the top floor and so had to order more, but couldn't get the same shade and were too unprofessional to care.

Thats right. And they probably don't even realize that most of the floors don't line up properly either. Some stick out, some retract. WTF is wrong with RD anyway?!?!

On 9/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, SkylineView said:

New lighting... and it pops!  Photo doesn't do it justice.

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SkylineView/media/image1_zpszkzmwigv.jpeg.html

I can't get content to post properly on the site... if you can pull this out of purgatory and into the thread, please do. 

Pic by me.

*like* pretty cool angle

21 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

What’s up with the brown/gray paint on the side? Must be temporary 

They do multiple layers of this stucco whatever finish. There are different colors until they hit the final coat. The same thing happened on their other projects.

my muse A***** took a picture of Arabella tonight from the memorial park area. It has blue and green LED lighting....  I was actually impressed with RD's work on this one

and for the record, the mural inside of Marlowe doesn't suck- it's better than that cartoon of Lightinin that is across the street... lol

This one looks great and unique coming up 610 from the south. I still like the top half better but in the end this turned out great. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 5:03 PM, Naviguessor said:

You’re photos can be a little like a “Where’s Waldo” challenge 

Thought of you for this one

7asfhXz.jpg

1 hour ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Is it considered taboo to like this tower? :lol:

Its grown on me lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Is it considered taboo to like this tower? :lol:

All things considered. Better than what was there before. I think we can all agree that Contemporary RD is better RD. Definitely not post-modern faux classicist willy-nilly RD, yuck.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

I don’t understand why they didn’t paint it a dark grey/blue to match the windows closer. There wouldn’t be such an obnoxious color difference with the glass and with the wall. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Palms went in

KU5SCPy.jpg

The building somehow has the mystique of a tower in a large metropolis in Latin America, India or Africa for some reason

• Like 3

On 1/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, HoustonBoy said:

I don’t understand why they didn’t paint it a dark grey/blue to match the windows closer. There wouldn’t be such an obnoxious color difference with the glass and with the wall. 

This thing and the Tilman Hotel are a blight on the skyline. Coming up from Bellaire you can’t take your eyes off how out of place these two are. I want to say they belong in Vegas or Tampa, but I don’t think they’d pass there. Like a giant white and opposable brown thumb with equally bad proportions/symmetry. I thought we had turned the page from the Montebellos & 1200 Post Oaks. Even the stale apartment towers going up Downtown are good at being bland. They easily blend in and could be over shadowed by a building with a sprinkle of imagination.

Not these two... like driving down a fresh 20 lane highway. No amount of tint on your sunglasses can help.

BF over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1