• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly empty, maybe. But it will form part of the skyline. And it's not as though one empty tower will impact retail development in this area.

Mostly empty, maybe. But it will form part of the skyline. And it's not as though one empty tower will impact retail development in this area.

Personally, I like it.  It will be interesting to watch the sales competition between this one and The Wilshire nearby, which while nice also, will have a much more conventional facade.  Quite a few wealthy folks from Mexico buy high-rise condos in this area and I wonder if they would have a preference for this less conventional (for Houston) kind of design.  

Ultimately, if I were to purchase in any such place, I'd be more concerned about the interior layouts, quality of construction, and access ... rather than how cool it looked on the outside.  

Blue LED lighting will go up the side of the V on the north face of the tower, according to this article. the other 2/3rds+ of the property is under negotiations for a "high end retail development".. and the facade has a Richard Meier treatment according to Davis.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/04/27/private-terrace-top-pools-planned-for-new-galleria.html

Perhaps Arábella’s most striking feature will be its facade, which features 10-foot-tall sections of fritted glass with white dots that resemble clouds in the sky, Davis said. The idea was popularized by architect Richard Meier’s high-rise projects in New York City, Davis added. On the north side of the building, Davis is planning a thin blue LED lighting that runs along the edge of the building.

The Houston real estate developer has partnered with local entrepreneur Roberto Contreras on the Class A project, which will be located on about 0.57 acres near Westcreek Lane and San Felipe Street. The balance of the 1.8-acre parcel, which Randall Davis Co. purchased in the third quarter of 2014, is under negotiations with an undisclosed third party for a high-end retail project, Davis said.

you can actually see the blue LED lighting glowing in this picture. wraps around the side of the base/over the entrance facade, and appears to wrap around to the eastern face of the roof.

I'm interested to hear more about this "high end retail project" on the remaining 1.2 acres. i guess that will go between the tower and the target parking lot, facing San Felipe?

arabella-final-rgb*600.jpg

^^^ should randall davis actually pull this off, as his magnificent / enthusiastic plans are now indicating... ARABELLA, could possibly become the best and most luxurious condominium tower constructed in houston.  am i correct?  can anyone possibly point out a better high end luxury tower, with all of the amenities / details as this prospective edifice?  anyone?  

hard to hate anything about this.. its the iconic signature design we all wanted for Westcreek. a Richard Meier-esque fritted glass facade, straight out of NYC. LED lighting down the side, a la International Tower. and a high-end retail center coming at the foot of the tower, so both ends of Westcreek are bookended with ritzy shopping options. thank you Randy!

attn HAIF!  can someone out there please please please appease me?  where oh where oh where, is my god for saken W HOTEL?  you know, now, that they are thinking about tearing down the old sakowitz building downtown, wouldn't that particular block be absolutely perfect for a high end hotel brand such as W / RITZ CARLTON?  where is my W HOTEL......

Nice catch Lockmat, but I think it's just a reverse of the western face. The flat portion of the facade will be to the south (on the east face), wifh the balconies staggered on the north side.

edit, just got on the computer to check it out on a bigger screen. i feel like my theory is definitely correct in that it is the same facade, just flipped. i thought i saw staggered balconies on the north east when i drove by, and it looks that way from the picture of the model.

wait. there is a picture in Urbs original post. facing the southeast side.. somehow we both missed it. i dig it. slight change up on the south face from the V up the side of the north side, but i think the east face is basically the same design.

hr3586913-11.jpg

I know this is a Randall Davis project, but lets give this guy some credit. If he can pull this off, I will have the up most respect for him. Houston lacks high end development and is now getting the attention it deserves. For other projects like The Marlowe, and The Windsor. I have no doubt in my mind that both those towers will break ground here very soon.

Archived