Houston Tower Pinnacle: 9-Block, 500-Story Downtown Skyscraper

lockmat

Wiki says bank of the southwest tower was only planned for 82 stories.

This NYT article says this would have been 500. Seems like it was more of a dream than real plan.

Have we discussed this before? Sorry if we have.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/05/weekinreview/why-a-taller-skyscraper-because-it-s-not-there.html

Quote:

At a symposium on tall buildings last year, teams of architects and engineers discussed other hypothetical projects, such as a 210-story building in Chicago, a 500-story building covering nine blocks in downtown Houston and three 200- story towers in New York that would connect with and brace each other.

I know the bank of the southwest tower was a real competition, which I think helmut jahn won.

The economy went south and the tower went away. I remember the article in fact I still have it. It was more a discussion about

What it would take to buils tower that tall. I think it was more of a charette type of study if I remember. I'll need to go through my collection of old news articles about architecture I saved.

I know the bank of the southwest tower was a real competition, which I think helmut jahn won.

The economy went south and the tower went away. I remember the article about the 500 story structure. I think I still have it. It was more a discussion about what it would take to build a tower that tall. I think it was more of a charette type of study if I remember. I'll need to go through my collection of old news articles about architecture I saved. It was never meant as a real project for Houston.

I think it also discussed Frank Lloyd Wrights mile high tower.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't find it creepy, I think it reminds us just how long Trump has been the assertive businessman that he still is.

He may not be a people person but his business acumen and work ethics are more than well-honed at this point.

What was Hillary doing in '84? Shining shoes?

18 hours ago, SirJac said:

I don't find it creepy, I think it reminds us just how long Trump has been the assertive businessman that he still is.

He may not be a people person but his business acumen and work ethics are more than well-honed at this point.

What was Hillary doing in '84? Shining shoes?

"Creepy" is not the word I used. I don't think anything positive or negative about his placement in the article, just kind of crazy that it's a 30 year old article and he is still (moreso) very present.

(And she was the first lady of Arkansas)

My bad corbs, you used the word eerie. And compared to what Hillary was doing back then, the article just accentuates how much more involved and transparent Trump has been in business affairs

It all kind of makes you sit back and wonder about how much Trump really knows.

6 hours ago, SirJac said:

My bad corbs, you used the word eerie. And compared to what Hillary was doing back then, the article just accentuates how much more involved and transparent Trump has been in business affairs

It all kind of makes you sit back and wonder about how much Trump really knows.

Please keep the politics in the Politics subforum. 

• The title was changed to Houston Tower Pinnacle: 9-Block, 500-Story Downtown Skyscraper

Archived