Sign in to follow this  
s3mh

Heights Central Station - Mixed-Use Development of Yale St Post Office

17 hours ago, s3mh said:

This is not on the agenda.  They must have gotten an earful and went back to the drawing board.

How do you know? Are you opening a second location here? ;)

4 hours ago, Triton said:

How do you know? Are you opening a second location here? ;)

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_hahc.html

Public information plus a very reasonable supposition.  The application was posted earlier this month, but taken down before the HAHC action reports came out.  You generally do not pull down your application if you get a big thumbs up from HAHC.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, s3mh said:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_hahc.html

Public information plus a very reasonable supposition.  The application was posted earlier this month, but taken down before the HAHC action reports came out.  You generally do not pull down your application if you get a big thumbs up from HAHC.  

Ah ok... I was honestly just hoping you were going to say yes. haha Heard there was a planned coffee shop here.

The developer is floating a re-design with all the retail fronting 11th st with parking in the rear.  Big changes to the facade as well.  I cannot get pictures from Nextdoor to load on here.  Sorry.

• Like 2

Revised Plans for Heights Central Station, Heights Blvd. at 11th St., Houston Heights

If you did not click on the swamplot story, here is the rendering for the coffee shop.  Very nice.  Looks like a little train depot.  Now the "Heights Station" name actually works.  Be sure to email HAHC when this gets back on the agenda and let them know your thoughts on the revised design.  

• Like 1

Much better but the architectural design doesn't match the neighborhood at all. Wish they'd update it to more closely resemble the Lola strip center across the street - that would help tie it in in a more timeless fashion.

I'm not sure I agree. The Lola strip mall is cool, but it's not really representative of the Heights. The rendering indicates that this will be painted brick, and the general massing and window openings are pretty similar to the traditional retail buildings on 11th, 19th etc. The only out-of-place element is the painted aluminum, but I'm not sure that particularly bothers me.

Having the building front the street is a total game changer for this development.  Well done.

That looks phenomenal. If it ends up anything close to that, I think a lot of people will be happy.

Yale from 5th to 12th could become a pretty interesting corridor. There's a lot of existing and upcoming zero- or low-setback construction. I'd actually like to see more street parking on Yale, making it effectively a 2-lane street, to make the pedestrian experience seem a little safer.

Edited by Angostura
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Texasota said:

Huh. Each new set of imagery looks better. I find this highly suspicious. 

Pish.  Still no Audis in the renderings - although maybe that's in homage to the Heights's blue collar to middle class roots. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

Yale from 5th to 12th could become a pretty interesting corridor. There's a lot of existing and upcoming zero- or low-setback construction. I'd actually like to see more street parking on Yale, making it effectively a 2-lane street, to make the pedestrian experience seem a little safer.

i completely agree...maybe have it no parking during peak traffic times, like some streets in downtown,  no parking from 7-9 am and 4-6 pm, but otherwise allow on-street parking, like they used to on Yale.

• Like 2

Ready for this one to go up, happy to see things happening. I do miss my PO box being there. The 19th street office is so inconvenient. 

• Like 1

if any of you fine folks on the HAIF want to see it up close, we are planning a 'topping out party' for early March. 

email me your info (Name, position/employer if you are in the RE industry) to get an invite.

• Like 4

Pretty excited about this spot. Really happy with the design and street frontage. Also looking forward to not needing to go into the Galleria for Dish Society.  :)

I'd like to attend the topping out party, but I'm not in the RE industry. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 3:42 PM, Visitor said:

Pretty excited about this spot. Really happy with the design and street frontage. Also looking forward to not needing to go into the Galleria for Dish Society.  :)

I'd like to attend the topping out party, but I'm not in the RE industry. 

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Damn I'd like to go but I'm also not in the RE industry. 

I didn't read the invite as limited to RE business folks only, just to provide your employer if you are.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2018 at 8:38 PM, Ross said:

I didn't read the invite as limited to RE business folks only, just to provide your employer if you are.

yeah that's what i meant.  if you aren't in the industry, and want to attend for your own knowledge, then your employer is less important, but you are still welcome.

Can I bring Newquest so they can see how to properly do Urban Development? ;) (salty about "Washington Central")

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, Visitor said:

Can I bring Newquest so they can see how to properly do Urban Development? ;) (salty about "Washington Central")

lol, sure!  

FYI, Kolache Shoppe is open, Shine in the Heights (hair salon) is open, Dish is softly open (not full schedule yet), and i believe Tiff's Treats is ready to slang cookies as of this week...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Evil Developer said:

FYI, Kolache Shoppe is open

I've been waiting for this ever since hearing a rumor (now confirmed on the menu) about the magic words "Pinkerton's Brisket, Egg, Cheddar, and Jalapeño".

Permit filed for a juice bar last week... The permit filings show Just Juice It as the name. Appears to be a brand from Baltimore.

image.png.a97199deb9a9e12528b6fad1fe194b44.png

image.png.542d8d319865faa2a828ef869737f6da.png