Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

12 minutes ago, wilcal said:

The TLDR is that there are four larger softball/kickball fields: 2-5

4/5 are going away.

They were going to combine 2-5 together into circular complex. 

Existing: 

jpuWlQV.png

Master plan:

4gPSuYw.jpg

You can see how the entry road was going to completely change.

Basically, I was asking if we were going to be completely field-less at some point while construction took place, but then they told me that 2 and 3 wouldn't be moving at all anymore. So who knows. 

Even if that is so, why does that frustrate you?  What is the issue?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Even if that is so, why does that frustrate you?  What is the issue?

It's very difficult to get spots in one of the CoH softball leagues, and I would like a heads up if they are just going to spring it on us if softball at Memorial will be cancelled for however long so I can have alternatives either within the CoH leagues or one of the third party leagues. 

There are going to be dozens of teams looking for a new home even if only 2 fields are closed temporarily. 

9 minutes ago, wilcal said:

It's very difficult to get spots in one of the CoH softball leagues, and I would like a heads up if they are just going to spring it on us if softball at Memorial will be cancelled for however long so I can have alternatives either within the CoH leagues or one of the third party leagues. 

There are going to be dozens of teams looking for a new home even if only 2 fields are closed temporarily. 

So you're frustration is anticipatory...    There doesn't seem to be any reason to think they are going to close existing fields before opening new ones.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

So you're frustration is anticipatory...    There doesn't seem to be any reason to think they are going to close existing fields before opening new ones.

For sure, but they won't even tell me that, you know? 

Not to mention, I'm interested in the development timeline as a whole and what changes may be in store and that's rather opaque as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Posted in the Buffalo Bayou thread but meant to post here...

well, 3 months later...still wondering if there is any update on Eastern Glades opening...rode my bike nearby and to me it looks like it is ready and the fence should come down anytime but maybe they are waiting for when they can have some kind of celebratory grand opening? anyone know? 

i am just excited about having something similar to Discovery Green open close to me or at least hope it kind of turns into that...

and in turn i wonder if they will close the bike loop/picnic loop to use that for another purpose (i think it would be cool to turn that whole area into a bike park with the loop but then ramps and a course within the loop) or at least give it some revamping as it seriously needs some tlc, especially as far as the seating/tables go.

Edited by gene
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, gene said:

@nate4l1f3 !!! man thank you so much for sharing this!!! i am truly lucky to be able to ride my bike here...so thankful for that! can't wait to check it out in the next week or so when it opens!

I’m excited as well. Wish it was 40 degrees cooler then I’d really be excited!

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Those pics are awesome! I love how they're trying to recreate the native coastal prairie ecosystem, that's pretty damn unique for a "city" park, that I know of. Reminds me of the little slice of the Midtown park that attempts to recreate a bayou feeder stream.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yahooooooooooooooooooo! i will ride my bike by there today after work to go check it out....seriously so excited! thanks for the heads up and photos @EaDo Lou !

edited to say i went right after work last night on my bike (a short 12 minute ride if that!)...and dang it's beautiful!!! wasn't really crowded at all like i thought it might...love the little Live Oak Court Food Truck Park! the string lights hang above the area which will be so fun at night once this craziness is over and we can go back to actually going to fun events etc! Hines Lake is just the best...it adds sooooooo much to Memorial Park...even saw a handful of ducks and birds enjoying it!

They have this cool long wooden curved bench on the north side of the lake that for some reason was my favorite area...just seemed peaceful. the wooden walkways on the north end (near this bench area that start from Live Oak Court) were nice and quiet...they have these randomly placed extended parts that confuse me as maybe you are supposed to be able to bird watch or look a the trees haha...maybe its a good place to have a small blanket and relax in the shade? anyway...seriously, this place is beautiful and so excited it is now open. (oh and yep rode my bike a total of 4 hours so i could enjoy the park, then head downtown then back to watch the sunset on the east end of the park!...loved it!)

Edited by gene
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Y'all will love it!!! seriously, we are so lucky to have Memorial Park in general but now this too!? Bring a blanket for a picnic :) 

and the perfect time was 730p to 830p in my opinion... just the sunset then the lights in the park and Live Oak Court all lit up.. 

*sigh* haha! 

and @Naviguessor we had to have seen each other and didn't know it! you are right too...that green grass area...wowsa...

one note...visiting this park and then going to the picnic loop park it is such a drastic change...in my personal opinion the next thing should be giving the picnic loop park some major TLC...

there is something to be said for the "rustic charm" haha but come on now...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Avossos Funny you should mention that. I was thinking of Stanley Park while I was there, and that great restaurant. Memorial Park would benefit from such a place.  Good thought. 

@cloud713 those stubs are just a creative change in direction of the walk and provide a resting space that’s out of the traffic path, so to speak.  It’s a cool effect. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Thanks for all the pictures! I wonder if they plan on lengthening the boardwalk or if those stubs at the X are just design?

Based on what I can tell, they are more there for style rather than some future expansion.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Triton said:

Based on what I can tell, they are more there for style rather than some future expansion.

Yeah, finally went last night myself and walked in this area. The boardwalk in the wooded area is rather narrow, so I think these little stubs allow people to either take a break or step out of the main path so traffic can flow through.

• Like 2

It was a great experience visiting the park, I am excited for the Land Bridge and further improvements. Somewhat off topic but I only wish that Uptown had a smaller city park within as well as bordering Memorial Park. Great addition to Memorial Park though, I feel that this is now the heart of the park so to speak. 

• Like 8