Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

Yeah as mentioned in my earlier post, the change to the 2.8 to 3 mile path was happening and is now finished and man it looks good! I cannot wait to see the lake and entertainment feature in that area (where the old portion of that east part of the path was and has now extended... I know they are working on this and wonder if there is any indication anywhere as to when that part will be completed...i am excited about it and hoping it will be like a closer to my home version of Discovery Green with movies and music and events etc...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While driving yesterday I saw that they are already building the mound for the land bridge. There was a poster that said it will be ready by 2022.

@Urbannizer can we move this whole thing to "Going Up". This park project is so huge. I don't see why it should be relegated to sub-forum. I feel we should have more eyes and ears on this one.

• Like 5

New article:

https://houston.innovationmap.com/memorial-park-conservancy-plans-to-deliver-its-first-project-of-its-master-plan-redevelopment-in-2020-2638503081.html

It doesn't mention it but the first phase opening by next year i believe will also be the area that they will offer live music and movies outdoors similar to what Discovery Green has...i know that was in an article i read at one time.

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So excited about the Eastern Glades project opening next year in the pic above... I really am hoping this does things similar to Discovery Green in the sense that it will have cool events, movie nights and concerts etc...

I love that about DG and think it would be even better in this setting. Plus it would be 10 minute bike ride for me! :)

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

On 5/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, Luminare said:

While driving yesterday I saw that they are already building the mound for the land bridge. There was a poster that said it will be ready by 2022.

@Urbannizer can we move this whole thing to "Going Up". This park project is so huge. I don't see why it should be relegated to sub-forum. I feel we should have more eyes and ears on this one.

@Urbannizer @Triton @editor Pretty please...again? haha.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

They should put some rough-hewed stone on that bridge and give it a Central Park look.

It might begin to look like some of these landscaped pools that you see that never come off looking real, but something out of a theme park landscaping. I would prefer that they not try and make it Central Park II. We don't have any natural rock outcroppings and it would tend to make it unrealistic.

Let's stick to our areas terrain and landscaping and keep it in our areas natural setting. I would prefer that they take out any trees and bushes that are not indigenous to the area while they're at it. As pretty as Tallow trees are they are not from around here and tend to take over and use up lots of water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skyboxdweller said:

You would think that this would be an ideal time to run a two-lane Bus Rapid Transit through the park connecting with the Uptown line at Post Oak .  The mentality is still very car oriented and is already outdated from a regional transportation perspective.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

The plan is to run BRT on I-10. Running it on Memorial would probably slow it down a bit, but it would allow for stations closer to actual homes and businesses. Now they are far enough apart that there's a genuine argument for running both of course. 

Would definitely be slower as BRT on I-10 is planned to run on elevated two-way HOV, with one stop at Shepherd. 

Also, I've definitely been a little frustrated with the Memorial Park people. They've changed the plans to replace all of the softball fields and will be keeping 2/3 in place now. Minor to the plan as a whole, but still, frustrating!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bobruss said:

It might begin to look like some of these landscaped pools that you see that never come off looking real, but something out of a theme park landscaping. I would prefer that they not try and make it Central Park II. We don't have any natural rock outcroppings and it would tend to make it unrealistic.

Let's stick to our areas terrain and landscaping and keep it in our areas natural setting. I would prefer that they take out any trees and bushes that are not indigenous to the area while they're at it. As pretty as Tallow trees are they are not from around here and tend to take over and use up lots of water.

Fair point, but we don't have any cement outcroppings in our landscape either. There is good limestone in Fayette County an hour or so away.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toopicky said:

You should try visiting the Houston Zoo .... they have done an AMAZING job with "rock" outcroppings (walls) in the new displays designed to look like those in the animals' natural surroundings. That isn't the same look as coastal Texas of course (as we don't have any outcrops) but when done right look VERY REALISTIC and adds a nice visual change in this flat swampscape we live on. There is a reason why the higher end master planned communities now often include rocky crags with waterfalls ... people like them, enough so to pay extra to live there.

I'd pay extra not to live in a neighborhood with waterfalls and rocks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toopicky said:

You should try visiting the Houston Zoo .... they have done an AMAZING job with "rock" outcroppings (walls) in the new displays designed to look like those in the animals' natural surroundings. That isn't the same look as coastal Texas of course (as we don't have any outcrops) but when done right look VERY REALISTIC and adds a nice visual change in this flat swampscape we live on. There is a reason why the higher end master planned communities now often include rocky crags with waterfalls ... people like them, enough so to pay extra to live there.

I have been to the zoo recently and toured the Gorilla habitat. I know they can create very life like stone walls. 

My whole point is they are trying to create a Houston coastal plains landscape. It's natural order. I just don't think they need to add fake stones to this park. 

You said it yourself they were trying to recreate the animals natural habitat. If people want to live in neighborhoods adorned with waterfalls and rocky crags that fine. I have no problem with it. I just want Memorial park to retain its natural habitats and surroundings, as much as possible.

• Like 5

Press Release:

Good news for the Memorial Park Master Plan.

Tilman Fertitta has graciously donated all materials carefully and lovingly disassembled from his beloved Rainforest Cafe locations that have unfortunately closed across the country including the hugely popular yet sadly now defunct Houston Galleria location. 

The hyper realistic rock walls made of superior high grade styrofoam as well as the masterfully and skillfully created life like creations of the toucans, monkeys, elephants, cougars and more will all adorn the gateways to what some are calling the underground passages to wonder aka "land bridges". Installation will begin immediately and a parade will be coinciding with the Astros World Series Victory Parade. 

www.houstonpress.com/rainforestmagiccomestomemorial

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, wilcal said:

Also, I've definitely been a little frustrated with the Memorial Park people. They've changed the plans to replace all of the softball fields and will be keeping 2/3 in place now. Minor to the plan as a whole, but still, frustrating!

Can you give us a little more information?  It is not clear what your issue is and what changes you are saying they have made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bobruss said:

The plan includes removing invasive trees and plants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Can you give us a little more information?  It is not clear what your issue is and what changes you are saying they have made.

The TLDR is that there are four larger softball/kickball fields: 2-5

4/5 are going away.

They were going to combine 2-5 together into circular complex. 

Existing: 

jpuWlQV.png

Master plan:

4gPSuYw.jpg

You can see how the entry road was going to completely change.

Basically, I was asking if we were going to be completely field-less at some point while construction took place, but then they told me that 2 and 3 wouldn't be moving at all anymore. So who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1