Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

7 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Will I still be able to see 👀 the trail joggers 🍭when driving down memorial? Looks like the trail will be pushed back. 

Hopefully it is. It's terrifying being right up on memorial drive with nothing separating you from cars going 50+ but a small curb. I always worry that someone is going to be texting, try to change lanes and pop a car over the curb and turn me into hamburger meat. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 8

I used to skip the Memorial Drive section for that very reason. Back when I ran a lot, I'd run semi-circles from light to light multiple times. Besides my fear of cars jumping, during jogging rush hour, I was always afraid I'd watch someone fall/get bumped into the street on the "hill" section by the ditch. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

Finally, that rail corridor is seeing some good work done. Imagine how much traffic a bike trail there would get, directly connecting Memorial Park to Westheimer and Richmond?

Looking at the satellite view it looks like that trail could go all the way to the Brays Bayou Greenway and beyond.  That would be a major connector in the trails system.  Does anyone know if there are plans to do that?

• Like 5

On 10/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, jmitch94 said:

Hopefully it is. It's terrifying being right up on memorial drive with nothing separating you from cars going 50+ but a small curb. I always worry that someone is going to be texting, try to change lanes and pop a car over the curb and turn me into hamburger meat. 

Hmmm never really thought about that. Has that actually ever happened though?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Hmmm never really thought about that. Has that actually ever happened though?

Cars jumping curbs and killing pedestrians on sidewalks is a common occurrence throughout the age of the automobile. Also happened with horse-drawn carriages, probably more often. I am not sure if it has happened on Memorial Drive, but would not be surprised. Just about every bizarre thing you can think of has happened in Houston.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JBTX said:

It's been a while since we talked about the hike and bike trails, but...the fence on the west side of Jensen is now open. Looks like the new bike route through clayton homes to the downtown trailheads and out to the East End is open.

Where is this? Is this the right thread?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

interesting that you say that...

i had mentioned above, yes it is new BUT my first thought which i forgot to express previously is why didn't they have this facing east and west not north and south...

as you come up on this in either direction TRAVELING east/west you just see a skinny block of concrete and you have to turn your head to look at it as you pass by to see what in the heck it is...and on top of that, the "Memorial Park" blends in with the monument since its all the same color (just etched in)...

i think it would have looked a bit better and been more of a statement turned the other way to actually face you as you drive into Memorial Park...but yep still like it...just hope they eventually do some sort of landscaping on the median or around the monument...

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

Even if that monument isn't actually used for anything it's still quite a nice touch. It's things like that which will give the park a kind of timeless feel. It will still be there 100 years from now, assuming someone doesn't get in a wreck and a dump truck hits it next week.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Even if that monument isn't actually used for anything it's still quite a nice touch. It's things like that which will give the park a kind of timeless feel. It will still be there 100 years from now, assuming someone doesn't get in a wreck and a dump truck hits it next week.

I was thinking the same thing but more likely from a drunk driver. They need to add some huge rocks on either side of it to protect it.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, M@tt said:

Feel like this is a dumb question, but they are aware Memorial Park floods. 

Is that even a question? 

I'm quite sure that they now how memorial park floods more that anybody else of the planet.  

Edited by Naviguessor
another thought
  • Like 7