Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rechlin said:

Agreed, but unfortunately the bus route serving Memorial Park is so infrequent (every half hour) that it's not worth it for many to bother.

I went by bike, and while the bike valet system was great, there was so much pedestrian traffic before that point thay it wasn't really an ideal mode. Good problem to have, though!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rechlin said:

Agreed, but unfortunately the bus route serving Memorial Park is so infrequent (every half hour) that it's not worth it for many to bother.

A group of us took route 20 to the event today. It was standing room only heading out of downtown :). Pretty packed on the way back too...Picked up probably 10-12 riders on our way into DT at the end of the event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Great event they knocked it out the park with this park! I think they should make this a yearly event it was fun!

Nom Mi Street did unbelievable business yesterday. All of the food trucks did really well, but it was really nice to see Nom Mi Street get the (linear) recognition it very much deserves.

• Like 3

parking wasn't bad. maybe we got there late, but it was around 11ish when we parked.

we parked over by the glades, found a spot immediately and walked over. 

they had parking shuttles, not sure where the preferred off site parking was though.

also, the wife will be happy when everything is green. I suspect most of the stuff they were able to plant was hit hard by the freeze, or hasn't gotten close to establishing yet. it'll be great to see it evolve.

image.png.422c1db4f88af3ce2ba46afcf42d8358.png

• Like 9

so yeah i rode my bike to meet a buddy coming from his home on his bike...

we get there and of course it's packed but so awesome....so we are just walking our bikes around...and about 40 minutes into walking around this guy, an event volunteer, stops us and goes..."HEY!!! HEY YOU! You cant have your bike in here!!!"...and we are like "what?!" again, we are walking our bikes and at this point trying to get to the prairie and land bridge...so we say "what are we supposed to do with the bikes" and he says "i don't know but you can't have them in here"...at this point a security guard must have overheard all this while we are walking away and i see him walk up to a different park volunteer and then walk over to us and say "hey we are glad you are here and want you to know there is a bike valet near the entrance." they were super nice btw...and so i walk back over to the original volunteer and say "hey just FYI, there is supposedly a bike valet and maybe you should have nicely told us that" and he says, "yeah i knew there was a bike valet area i just don't know where it is."

haha...oy. anyway, i did look more carefully at the signs that had all the rules and it did say that bikes were not permitted (just due to how crowded it was of course....) and i was super okay with that just thrown off by how rude that first guy was haha! BUT heck yeah this place is amazing...i love that we are so fortunate to have such an incredible place in our city that keeps getting better by the year. I am even more fortunate to be able to ride my bike here within 15 minutes with ease and enjoy any day i want! and i also agree, i would love to have a yearly anniversary event like this. It really does bring our city together! probably biking through there tonight after work! 🙂

Edited by gene
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, gene said:

so yeah i rode my bike to meet a buddy coming from his home on his bike...

we get there and of course it's packed but so awesome....so we are just walking our bikes around...and about 40 minutes into walking around this guy, an event volunteer, stops us and goes..."HEY!!! HEY YOU! You cant have your bike in here!!!"...and we are like "what?!" again, we are walking our bikes and at this point trying to get to the prairie and land bridge...so we say "what are we supposed to do with the bikes" and he says "i don't know but you can't have them in here"...at this point a security guard must have overheard all this while we are walking away and i see him walk up to a different park volunteer and then walk over to us and say "hey we are glad you are here and want you to know there is a bike valet near the entrance." they were super nice btw...and so i walk back over to the original volunteer and say "hey just FYI, there is supposedly a bike valet and maybe you should have nicely told us that" and he says, "yeah i knew there was a bike valet area i just don't know where it is."

haha...oy. anyway, i did look more carefully at the signs that had all the rules and it did say that bikes were not permitted (just due to how crowded it was of course....) and i was super okay with that just thrown off by how rude that first guy was haha! BUT heck yeah this place is amazing...i love that we are so fortunate to have such an incredible place in our city that keeps getting better by the year. I am even more fortunate to be able to ride my bike here within 15 minutes with ease and enjoy any day i want! and i also agree, i would love to have a yearly anniversary event like this. It really does bring our city together! probably biking through there tonight after work! 🙂

Yeah, I've noticed a general hostility towards bikes in Memorial Park (until now, only on the north side), and I can understand where it likely comes from. Bikes and moderately crowded pedestrian paths do not mix well. High-speed sport cyclists and well-used pedestrian paths even more so.

But the lack of decent bike access on the north side of Memorial Drive (or the land bridge) is definitely annoying especially since the south side "bike path" turns into a Houston-standard sidewalk after a while. 

I think connecting Buffalo Bayou park to Memorial via high quality paths (including at street level approach Shepherd from the west) should be the top priority, but adding a north-side commuter path through the park should be next on the list. There is plenty of room to keep bikes and pedestrians separate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Yeah, I've noticed a general hostility towards bikes in Memorial Park (until now, only on the north side), and I can understand where it likely comes from. Bikes and moderately crowded pedestrian paths do not mix well. High-speed sport cyclists and well-used pedestrian paths even more so.

But the lack of decent bike access on the north side of Memorial Drive (or the land bridge) is definitely annoying especially since the south side "bike path" turns into a Houston-standard sidewalk after a while. 

I think connecting Buffalo Bayou park to Memorial via high quality paths (including at street level approach Shepherd from the west) should be the top priority, but adding a north-side commuter path through the park should be next on the list. There is plenty of room to keep bikes and pedestrians separate.

yeah...and i am just on my cruiser/hybrid bike so i am not even one of the fast riders! thankfully i have a little bell and put it to good use as needed haha! and oh lord don't even get me started on the south little side sidewalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't believe they haven't done anything with that! 

• Like 1