Lyft vs. Uberx, my thoughts

Slick Vik

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The background checks for drivers sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't quite understand the need for medical exams.

I have used Uber to get to the airport and had a positive experience. The private cars are definitely cleaner and nicer than most of the cabs in this city. 

The background checks for drivers sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't quite understand the need for medical exams.

I think it's a liability issue. They won't want someone who is more likely to get ill behind the wheel and cause an accident. At the dealership where I used to work, they recently let go of one of the drivers who picked up and delivered clients' cars because he was on so many medications for his diabetes and other ailments. I guess they thought he would be a risk behind the wheel. I think his age (mid 70s) in addition to the health troubles had something to do with it.

I think it's a matter of ass-covering for all parties involved. If there's an incident involving Lyft/Uber cars and a lawsuit develops that won't be immediately thrown out by any sane judge, then whatever city that let Lyft/Uber cars run will be involved. Why take the risk?

Lyft is leaving because they don't want to submit their drivers to fingerprint background checks. I won't miss them.

You will once uber raises prices.

I think it's a matter of ass-covering for all parties involved. If there's an incident involving Lyft/Uber cars and a lawsuit develops that won't be immediately thrown out by any sane judge, then whatever city that let Lyft/Uber cars run will be involved. Why take the risk?

Different cities are handling the situation differently you can't throw them in the same boat.

I think it's a liability issue. They won't want someone who is more likely to get ill behind the wheel and cause an accident. At the dealership where I used to work, they recently let go of one of the drivers who picked up and delivered clients' cars because he was on so many medications for his diabetes and other ailments. I guess they thought he would be a risk behind the wheel. I think his age (mid 70s) in addition to the health troubles had something to do with it.

It's all about barriers to entry. This was an underhanded victory for the taxi lobby.

You will once uber raises prices.

No I won't. Uber is already below the market taxi rate because they wanted to be competitive against Yellow Cab. City Council has legalized this new form of business, and if Uber prices too high another company is free to come in and compete with them. Uber doesn't have the market cornered on this. This isn't a monopoly type environment where one company completely owns the idea.

Besides, if Lyft isn't willing to take reasonable measures to ensure that their drivers don't have background problems, then I don't want them operating as a transportation service in this city. Not at any price.

No I won't. Uber is already below the market taxi rate because they wanted to be competitive against Yellow Cab. City Council has legalized this new form of business, and if Uber prices too high another company is free to come in and compete with them. Uber doesn't have the market cornered on this. This isn't a monopoly type environment where one company completely owns the idea.

Besides, if Lyft isn't willing to take reasonable measures to ensure that their drivers don't have background problems, then I don't want them operating as a transportation service in this city. Not at any price.

A very good point.  Maybe some entrepreneurial souls will start up homegrown versions here and elsewhere if Uber is successful.

Uber has the market cornered without a rival they can raise the price and still be cheaper than cabs. Lyft is a small company and the absurd rules city council passed are basically barriers for entry and hoops to jump through for part time drivers. It was a victory for the taxi Lobby as of now there are 63 licensed drivers. This was simply bribery why would the city pass these rules when taxpayers have to pay $500,000 to institute them?

Uber has the market cornered without a rival they can raise the price and still be cheaper than cabs. Lyft is a small company and the absurd rules city council passed are basically barriers for entry and hoops to jump through for part time drivers. It was a victory for the taxi Lobby as of now there are 63 licensed drivers. This was simply bribery why would the city pass these rules when taxpayers have to pay $500,000 to institute them?

Do Uber and Lyft not have to abide by the same rules?  Is it not a level playing field between the two services?

They are a different industry, peer to peer ride sharing.

I need a ride, I call for a ride, I get a ride, I pay for a ride...sounds pretty similar to a taxi service.

That wasn't my point, though.  Lyft and Uber are doing the same thing and have the same set of rules applied to them.  Lyft doesn't like the rules and is leaving the market.

I need a ride, I call for a ride, I get a ride, I pay for a ride...sounds pretty similar to a taxi service.

That wasn't my point, though. Lyft and Uber are doing the same thing and have the same set of rules applied to them. Lyft doesn't like the rules and is leaving the market.

Except taxi isn't a peer to peer market it's an industry that requires its drivers to pay outrageous license fees and for the car itself just to join. Whereas uber you can use your own and it's online only, no "call". The cartel doesn't want anyone coming into their zone.

Lyft is 80% smaller than uber

Except taxi isn't a peer to peer market it's an industry that requires its drivers to pay outrageous license fees and for the car itself just to join. Whereas uber you can use your own and it's online only, no "call". The cartel doesn't want anyone coming into their zone.

Lyft is 80% smaller than uber

It's a different business model for the same industry.  Taxi companies will adjust or lose.  My guess is that they will adjust.  So you have at least two competitors in the same market, three if Lyft happens to also be there and maybe more if it turns out to be profitable.  Should be a net benefit for consumers in both cost and service.

They absolutely do not have the market cornered. There's nothing proprietary about any of this. Any company can rip them off, and there's plenty of examples popping up. Uber and Lyft's services were not even legal until the regulation changes, so to say that the legalization of their services was a victory for taxis is ridiculous.

Driving someone somewhere in a car gives you an immense amount of power over them. Public transportation services should be operated by trustworthy people. A fingerprint background check is not an unreasonable ask of someone who wants to provide transportation in our city.

My point is uber has a lot of room to raise price without lyft being there. It's about half price of taxis right now so in that space they could raise 50% and still be cheaper than taxis

Not really. I still find plenty of people out there who do not know what Uber is. Look around the entire country and I think you'll find cheap Uber prices, at least not during Primetime surge hours.

They absolutely do not have the market cornered. There's nothing proprietary about any of this. Any company can rip them off, and there's plenty of examples popping up. Uber and Lyft's services were not even legal until the regulation changes, so to say that the legalization of their services was a victory for taxis is ridiculous.

Driving someone somewhere in a car gives you an immense amount of power over them. Public transportation services should be operated by trustworthy people. A fingerprint background check is not an unreasonable ask of someone who wants to provide transportation in our city.

You don't understand. It's not just fingerprints it's five different things the city wanted that was the equivalent of jumping through hoops of Fire. Check Austin's rules and compare and you will see what I mean.

Archived