Dallas Skyline just voted best in World?

JasnoDTX

Uh Okay. I love my city but.......say wha????

Well, anyways if they love it now. Just wait a couple of years.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/entertainment/2014/09/10/dallas-voted-best-skyline/15371031/

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-international-skyline/

Wait a couple years?   Because the addition of a few 20'ish story buildings in Uptown is going to improve the skyline significantly?

Not all preference, I don't imagine;  if you take the half a dozen major buildings on the skyline of each American downtown (this is a USAToday polling, after all), and try drawing them on napkins, Dallas has just about the most imageable collection of caricatures.  

Try it.  At the level of a silhouette -- which doesn't mean they're more fun to look at in person, or even that they have a great effect collectively, although neither does it mean that they're less fun to see, nor that they have a poorer architectural effect -- Dallas towers tend to outpunch the other American cities'...

In beer terms, it's a matter of being drinkable without being largely bland.  A small skyline can easily outpunch a larger one if you care more about visual interest than overall impact.  Meanwhile, when you have a bunch of gridded boxes, like downtown Houston's, one has to be a beer person in order to really appreciate it (if aesthetic restraint is a hoppier flavor than one to chug-a-lug). 

But this thread is fairly enlightening about how quickly people presume ulterior motives and/or a "right mind" being disregarded.

Yes this is a joke. The poll was made up of people from Dallas and has only been talked about in Dallas media. No one in their right mind would pick Dallas over NYC, Hong Kong, etc.

ya i noticed that 2 of the 3 "experts" were both Dallas residents... lol

i'm not bashing the fact that they have a recognizable skyline, either. nor am i saying i hate it. but best in the world? it's not even best in the state. and st. louis over honk kong????? wtf.

bias! just another example of press manipulation to shed light on big d.  best skyline in the WORLD?  is that a real story?  dubai is fantastic.  hong kong is fantastic.  shanghai.  chicago.....all, ten times better than dallas.  did they have a hit series for world wide recognition, no.  recognition is not "the best".  that's like saying the kardashians are the best characters on tv.

i call BS.

bias! just another example of press manipulation to shed light on big d.  best skyline in the WORLD?  is that a real story?  dubai is fantastic.  hong kong is fantastic.  shanghai.  chicago.....all, ten times better than dallas.  did they have a hit series for world wide recognition, no.  recognition is not "the best".  that's like saying the kardashians are the best characters on tv.

i call BS.

I agree 100% with this. The fact that they said "Because of the TV show" made me SMH with embarrassment! We don't have a massive skyline but we do have some very recognizable buildings which I love... But putting Dallas as number one is just strange. Top 20 for sure though.

BTW your analogy of the Kardashians is perfect. I HATE the KARDASHIANS and any related offspring with a passion! (tv wise)

No city on the list, least of all Dallas, is the point, but rather the question of what makes a memorable ensemble.  Saint Louis is like Pavarotti backed by a high school gifted and talented chorale.  But HK is a YouTube crowdsourced symphony with no Pavarotti there at all  --  Foster's, Pei's and Pelli's work there pales compared to Saarinen's Missouri gem.  So if you want to experience artistry writ large, where do you go?

Like it or not, the charismatic opera stars in our skyline are Heritage Plaza and Philip Johnson's trio.  Not exactly artistry writ large.

Perhaps it's the irresistible allure of Mr. Microphone.  OTOH, I still think "WTF?????" every time I see the RKO Radio Pictures setup that got pasted on top of the otherwise agreeable Bauhaus box that is Renaissance Tower (aka Ewing Oil), even though it's been there for nearly 30 years.

200px-RKO_Radio_Pictures_logo.jpg

LOL! I literally busted out laughing at the picture comparing Hong Kong to Dallas. #Hilarious                                                                                                                                                                                           

Hong_Kong_Skyline_Restitch_-_Dec_2007.jp

Hong Kong #8

Dallas_skyline_from_Jefferson_Viaduct.jp

Dallas #1?

Since the Dallas skyline is bland, has little visual interest and makes a rather insignificant impact I can only presume that the USA Today voters got a hold of some VERY bad beer with very high alcohol content. 

:lol:

No. Of course that pic is the weakest angle of downtown. Any other angle would totally whoop HK. duh

While Dallas isn't #1 (and that angle is pretty weak), Hong Kong isn't necessarily good either, because you're basically going "quantity over quality" with a bunch of bland similar-looking towers (seriously, there almost appears to be pairs every one).

Hong_Kong_Island_Skyline_2009.jpg

Frankly, any skyline with an ugly, er, erection like that needs to be knocked down several notches.  :lol:

Archived