The Hamilton Apartments At 1800 St. Joseph Pkwy.

MarathonMan

definitely the most disappointing one of the bunch and I think it only got approval because this is right next to the highway....what a bummer.

totally disagree. this looks good. better than i expected. certainly better than the ones going up on N Memorial Way

• Like 3

Oh the gall, no, the nerve, to question this exquisite design. Blasphemous for me to even criticize a potential development on an architecture forum that....you know discusses architecture! I'm sorry I ask just a little bit more than standard or even in most cases sub-par. I'm not even asking everything to be a "work of art" or "work of masterpiece" that would be absurd, but what I do like to see is genuine design effort. Even if it comes out looking like complete crap at least you know that they took everything into consideration from site, to street level, to it's environment, to it's proximity to everything else, etc... because sometimes in architecture things just don't work out, but that's ok....it has to be from a good effort though. This isn't any of that and the fact that it's praised is hilarious when there are many just like this. The idea that this building can be built in downtown when there are others like it outside of town gives that area a distinction that it isn't unique, it isn't an area worth doing something different, and it means that anything can be built in downtown. That anything could apply for this residential incentive and it will pass. That's quite troubling and actually quite revealing. It means a lack of a standard for what downtown should be, and what should be in downtown.

Some here like to criticize finances that of which we have no possible investment in (unless it's a gov. project). Some here like to criticize the political aspects of such projects which we can only ever know maybe a small percentage of to the point it shouldn't be worth our time. I like to be critical of architecture. It's the one thing that we as bystanders have the opportunity to invest in because architecture is a shared experience and it's something that is looked upon by everyone and therefore can be properly analysed/critique because its right in front of us. It's something that we can effect and in some cases control. It's something we can focus and influence.

Is this building awful...no. Is it lazy...YES!

Just because something is being built downtown doesn't mean it should automatically in peoples brains register as something of distinction or good design.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

Agreed this is a bonus spin guys - don't be that guy.

Chi-Char's rules to not be an a$$hat

1. Every project does not need GFR

2. Who are you? Put up your own money vs being an armchair qb.

3. Everything needs to be saved. Why? In other big cities they don't lament about a shit building like Houston Club being torn down. I cheer the Angel bros yellow iron chomping that steel as we all should. Bigger, Newer, Better.

4. Enjoy the boom. Remember what you used to get excited about 5 years ago. Guys this is a boom town - exciting times quit trying to get in the conductors seat and sit back and enjoy. Time had told us it will be 20 years until this MAY happen again.

I ride my bike past this area every day - the area is straight out of season 5 walking dead - the fact that some would argue against this being a huge WIN just shows me and the reasonable majority here at HAIF ; that you are a bunch of complainers.

Bottom line this is a cherry - enjoy it and it will hopefully move "the walkers" elsewhere.

Question for everyone who liked this post... I don't really need to hear Chi-Char's opinion on it... but what kind of architecture forum do you imagine existing with this kind of logic?

"Guys this is a boom town...quit trying to get in the conductor's seat and sit back and enjoy." Translation: Don't critique anything that gets proposed or built, other than to say, "Gosh, it's great! I'm so lucky I live in a boom town!"

"Who are you? Put up your own money vs being an armchair qb" Translation: I feel threatened by people discussing architecture on the internet. I need to protect the developers who are endangered by internet commenters.

Seriously, I want to hear your thoughts - those of you who liked this post - what do you want this forum to be, other than mindless developer cheerleading and drooling over construction cranes?

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

Question for everyone who liked this post... I don't really need to hear Chi-Char's opinion on it... but what kind of architecture forum do you imagine existing with this kind of logic?

"Guys this is a boom town...quit trying to get in the conductor's seat and sit back and enjoy." Translation: Don't critique anything that gets proposed or built, other than to say, "Gosh, it's great! I'm so lucky I live in a boom town!"

"Who are you? Put up your own money vs being an armchair qb" Translation: I feel threatened by people discussing architecture on the internet. I need to protect the developers who are endangered by internet commenters.

Seriously, I want to hear your thoughts - those of you who liked this post - what do you want this forum to be, other than mindless developer cheerleading and drooling over construction cranes?

This type of thinking from one poster will result in the kind of forum that has a variety of opinions, none of which will be forced on anyone. I can appreciate a post that offers some perspective to the micro analysis. I also appreciate it when posts have some entertainment value. Ergo, I clicked the like button. Sorry if that makes me literally Hitler.

This type of thinking from one poster will result in the kind of forum that has a variety of opinions, none of which will be forced on anyone. I can appreciate a post that offers some perspective to the micro analysis. I also appreciate it when posts have some entertainment value. Ergo, I clicked the like button. Sorry if that makes me literally Hitler.

No, I don't think so Alec - if everyone who doesn't put up their own money is told "who are you?", it won't result in a variety of opinions, just grovelling approval for whatever is built.

I said I wanted to hear your thoughts, not that you were "literally Hitler."

Edited by H-Town Man

You want the opinion of those that you just called drooling mindless cheerleaders?

You want the opinion of those that you just called drooling mindless cheerleaders?

Need to read more carefully. I did not call anyone that. I asked the people who liked his post to explain how this logic can lead to anything other than development cheerleading and drooling over cranes. Do you understand the difference?

Edited by H-Town Man

Need to read more carefully. I did not call anyone that. I asked the people who liked his post to explain how this logic does not lead to anything other than development cheerleading and drooling over cranes. Do you understand the difference?

Ok, so their logic leads to mindless drooling cheerleading yet those who like discussing things in such a manner are not themselves mindless drooling cheerleaders?

If you see a difference, more power to you. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

Ok, so their logic leads to mindless drooling cheerleading yet those who like discussing things in such a manner are not themselves mindless drooling cheerleaders?

If you see a difference, more power to you. 

I find it ironic that you are defending a guy who began his post by calling everyone who didn't follow his rules an "a$$hat." If you're going to get all upset about tone, why not call it both ways?

Secondly, I said that his logic leads to developer cheerleading and drooling over cranes. Those are two things. I didn't combine them to say "drooling cheerleaders." And I stand by my statement. If we can't discuss and critique  architecture on here without being shamed for not having the money of a developer, then we are pretty much only allowed to applaud and cheer, and get excited over cranes.

Think of what you're defending. People are trying to discuss architecture, and are being told to shut up if you aren't rich. Do you think you're on the right side of this argument?

• Like 1

The problem is people are looking at this development with a broad frame that includes other developments in downtown. Combined with everything else it makes this development look better than it is because it's just another building filling up a vacant lot. That's not the goal of the topic though! The topic discusses this development within this particular context and the point I was making before is that it's a disappoint. For something that is in downtown it should be something more unique even if it's next to a freeway. It's lazy, cookie-cutter, and bland compared to other developments going up in downtown. Bottom line is that this isn't something that should be in downtown. Maybe Midtown or neartown, but not Downtown.

@avossos I completely understand that people aren't going to have the same opinions as me, but architecture asks for more depth in terms of ones opinion, and 'I'm just pleased it's brick' just doesn't go very far.

@Alec I rather have quality options over simply a 'variety' of options.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

The problem is people are looking at this development with a broad frame that includes other developments in downtown. Combined with everything else it makes this development look better than it is because it's just another building filling up a vacant lot. That's not the goal of the topic though! The topic discusses this development within this particular context and the point I was making before is that it's a disappoint. For something that is in downtown it should be something more unique even if it's next to a freeway. It's lazy, cookie-cutter, and bland compared to other developments going up in downtown. Bottom line is that this isn't something that should be in downtown. Maybe Midtown or neartown, but not Downtown.

@avossos I completely understand that people aren't going to have the same opinions as me, but architecture asks for more depth in terms of ones opinion, and 'I'm just pleased it's brick' just doesn't go very far.

@Alec I rather have quality options over simply a 'variety' of options.

I do have to disagree with you, in that while this may be downtown, it's at a freeway intersection bordering a neighborhood of very low income, and so it's hard to expect the kind of investment that quality architecture usually requires (e.g. paying for a unique design). And as lazy, cookie cutter designs go, it isn't bad. Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

I do have to disagree with you, in that while this may be downtown, it's at a freeway intersection bordering a neighborhood of very low income, and so it's hard to expect the kind of investment that quality architecture usually requires.

You are coming up to the age old question of can there be quality architecture at low cost and even in the most inconvenient of circumstances? I say yes, and there is plenty of precedent to back up my argument. Sure they won't have granite counter tops, or a luxury pool, but that's because that's not what makes something architecture! I see places like these as a architectural challenge not an inconvenience. This exact kind of thinking is why this thread has gone down this direction from the very beginning :P

The root of the problem is that peoples expectations for a site like this are so astronomically low that anything will do! This induces a mindset where mediocrity is fine because it's miles ahead of where it was before which is not fine. I could also counter that we have skyscrapers next to very busy, unappealing highways. Most architecture of significance in this city is within a 5min walking distance of a highway! I think you might want to reevaluate that statement as it really doesn't hold up at all.

You are coming up to the age old question of can there be quality architecture at low cost and even in the most inconvenient of circumstances? I say yes, and there is plenty of precedent to back up my argument. Sure they won't have granite counter tops, or a luxury pool, but that's because that's not what makes something architecture! I see places like these as a architectural challenge not an inconvenience. This exact kind of thinking is why this thread has gone down this direction from the very beginning :P

The root of the problem is that peoples expectations for a site like this are so astronomically low that anything will do! This induces a mindset where mediocrity is fine because it's miles ahead of where it was before which is not fine. I could also counter that we have skyscrapers next to very busy, unappealing highways. Most architecture of significance in this city is within a 5min walking distance of a highway! I think you might want to reevaluate that statement as it really doesn't hold up at all.

you get what you pay for

- God

I find it ironic that you are defending a guy who began his post by calling everyone who didn't follow his rules an "a$$hat." If you're going to get all upset about tone, why not call it both ways?

Secondly, I said that his logic leads to developer cheerleading and drooling over cranes. Those are two things. I didn't combine them to say "drooling cheerleaders." And I stand by my statement. If we can't discuss and critique  architecture on here without being shamed for not having the money of a developer, then we are pretty much only allowed to applaud and cheer, and get excited over cranes.

Think of what you're defending. People are trying to discuss architecture, and are being told to shut up if you aren't rich. Do you think you're on the right side of this argument?

I wasn't defending anyone, more commenting on your particular approach to the debate. I did not notice the "a$$hat" comment. That's pointlessly lowbrow.

Your distinction of who is drooling over what and who is cheerleading for whom doesn't really change what I take from your reply, it is that you caricature other people's opinions as "cheerleading" and "drooling" (separated that for you), while being indignant about not having your opinion respected. If you wish to split that hair to prove me wrong in your head, that is up to you, as is any shame you feel for someone thinking your opinion isn't worth much. 

I'm not sure what side of what argument you think I'm on. I do think that people with skin in the game consider far more than people on the internet have to, so I will give them more credit, but this place is made for opinions. That other people have some that disagree with yours does not equate with being told to shut up. Where are you getting that, from someone that called you a name?

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

I wasn't defending anyone, more commenting on your particular approach to the debate. I did not notice the "a$$hat" comment. That's pointlessly lowbrow.

Your distinction of who is drooling over what and who is cheerleading for whom doesn't really change what I take from your reply, it is that you caricature other people's opinions as "cheerleading" and "drooling" (separated that for you), while being indignant about not having your opinion respected. If you wish to split that hair to prove me wrong in your head, that is up to you, as is any shame you feel for someone thinking your opinion isn't worth much. 

I'm not sure what side of what argument you think I'm on. I do think that people with skin in the game consider far more than people on the internet have to, so I will give them more credit, but this place is made for opinions. That other people have some that disagree with yours does not equate with being told to shut up. Where are you getting that, from someone that called you a name?

I think you should go back and read my initial post in the context of the post it was in response to. It should be pretty clear that I am defending the right of people to post opinions on here, not attacking it. The only thing I'm attacking is the notion that people who aren't wealthy enough to be developers should not critique architecture. Unless you agree with that view, I don't see why we're arguing.

For the record, I have no problem with people who simply enjoy watching development, as long as they have no problem with some of us critiquing architecture. This should be evident in my past compliments of your work.

There can be quality architecture at low cost, but nothing is as cheap as pulling a stock design out of a drawer, which seems to be what the developers did here. I didn't say anything about granite counter tops.

And no, I don't think I need to reevaluate my statement about the freeway intersection. The freeway ramps tower above the proposed building. They are detrimental to it in a way that is not comparable to building a skyscraper next to a freeway. If you want to convince me of your case, show me an example of distinguished residential architecture built in the shadow of freeway flyovers. That will give us a good basis for comparison.

First I like to drink beer with my friends and get home and poke the bear "I.E." Talk smack on haif.

I love this site and value the different opinions of everyone.

There are a lot of as$hats but that was a low blow. I live in Midtown and start my bike rides in this area and I was coming from a place where anything would be better than what's there now. NOTHING

I want to squeeze every bit of juice from this boom like everyone here but this Developement just struck me as great. So bottom line I like to drink - your not all as$hats ( fav word of mine). I haven't had any beer tonight. It's 9 degrees in Chicago BTW and can't wait to get back to Htown!

cheers:)

• Like 7

First I like to drink beer with my friends and get home and poke the bear "I.E." Talk smack on haif.

There are a lot of as$hats but that was a low blow. I live in Midtown and start my bike rides in this area and I was coming from a place where anything would be better than what's there now. NOTHING

I want to squeeze every bit of juice from this boom like everyone here but this Developement just struck me as great. So bottom line I like to drink - your not all as$hats ( fav word of mine). I haven't had any beer tonight. It's 9 degrees in Chicago BTW and can't wait to get back to Htown!

You got drunk and caused a meltdown on HAIF. Well done. 10/10 would recommend doing again.

• Like 2

Works for me. :)