Sign in to follow this  
Sky-guy

Apples New iPhones and the new Apple Watch

Earlier today, Apple announced its two new iPhones, the iPhone 6 (4.7 Inch screen) and the iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inch screen) as well as the new apple watch. What are you alls thoughts on this?

I'll stick with my Galaxy S5, thanks.

My htc one has IR blaster, NFC(google wallet).... yayaya all the stuff the iphone is barely getting now. 

iphone is too limited in terms of piracy for me. no torrents, no NES or SNES emulators. Can they even read SD Cards yet?

No SD cards for iPhones. I can expand my S5 to 128GB for the price of the microSD card, about $100. The 32GB card I currently use was under $20.

I will be upgrading my iPhone 5....not sure about the watch yet, will have to check that out a bit more before deciding.....love the new style and size of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8 is a nice evolution (I have been using the developer version for a few months now)....the integration with OS X is slick.  The new ApplePay is a nice addition also....

I think I am going to order one when they are released, only thing is I don't like the size of the iPhone 6 Plus and feel like I would be missing out with some features if I don't get it, which sucks.

I have a Note 3 for my work phone, but would like to have another personal iPhone. I just don't need a phone as big as the Note 3.

I think I am going to order one when they are released, only thing is I don't like the size of the iPhone 6 Plus and feel like I would be missing out with some features if I don't get it, which sucks.

I have a Note 3 for my work phone, but would like to have another personal iPhone. I just don't need a phone as big as the Note 3.

The only things the 6+ has over the 6 are bigger battery, higher resolution/larger screen, and image stabilization (all good things for sure)....I haven't been able to find any other differences, if there are, please correct me because Im still debating which one to pick also (Im leaning towards the 6 because of the size)

Edited by HoustonMidtown

The only things the 6+ has over the 6 are bigger battery, higher resolution/larger screen, and image stabilization (all good things for sure)....I haven't been able to find any other differences, if there are, please correct me because Im still debating which one to pick also (Im leaning towards the 6 because of the size)

The 6 Plus also has some features in the messaging app that are not available on the 6 (user avatars and a split-pane display in the summary view). It also supports a landscape-mode home screen. 

I have a 2-year-old 5, so I'll probably upgrade to the 6. The 6 Plus is nice but it's bigger than I'd prefer to carry around. It's too bad they didn't incorporate OIS on the 6, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.  

Don't really have any interest in the Apple Watch at all, but I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to check one out in person. 

LOL - it goes back and forth like that every time a new device is released...

Yep - it's the mobile-device version of the endless "Mac vs. PC vs. Linux" debates that used to be unavoidable in tech circles. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to OSes - in our household, all our desktops and laptops are running Win7 and our primary mobile devices are running iOS, but I've also got a Kindle Fire and a Chromebook. 

Honestly, I think I am going to stick with just the 4.7 inch iPhone. I believe that the added Image Stabilization is because the phone is so large that it is harder to take still pictures compared to a smaller phone. At least that is my personal experience with the Note 3.

The Plus does have better battery life due to the bigger battery. And from what I can tell, the higher resolution of the screens is also needed due to screen size, but my feeling is if you lay them side by side you wouldn't even be able to notice the difference in clarity.

One thing I do like about the Plus though is the landscape mode and how it takes advantage of screen real-estate. But I don't know if that is worth it to me. I will have to wait for more reviews to come out personally. 

I, personally don't think that the phone is such a big deal, i mean it's the same upgrades that apple has released in past iPhones, Bigger size, better battery, etc. i think the new Apple Watch is much more interesting.

Why do android users get so defensive when apple announces a new phone? My personal phone is apple but my work phone is a galaxy, and there is NO difference other than screen size.

• Like 1

I'm probably going for the 6+ to replace my 4s.  Originally I was a bit put off by the size, but then I measured it out and found that it's roughly the size of a checkbook (remember those?) and close enough to the weight of the current unit that I likely won't notice it - if anything, since it's thinner it'll probably ride in my pocket better than the 4s.  I end up getting mail attachments frequently, so the extra real estate will be useful.  My office is very Mac centric and I've tired of feeding my inner geek incessantly, so the integration with OSX is more important to me than the bells and whistles of an Android device.  My retreat from the bleeding edge also means that I'm going to wait until after Halloween to get one.

It would be amusing, though, if I could find something or another that would call up a blinking green c: prompt on a black screen.

Edited by mollusk

Why do android users get so defensive when apple announces a new phone? My personal phone is apple but my work phone is a galaxy, and there is NO difference other than screen size.

I wouldn't say defensive... just tired of Apple taking advantage of people by offering tech that's been around for years at $$$ prices.

I wouldn't say defensive... just tired of Apple taking advantage of people by offering tech that's been around for years at $$$ prices.

That argument has been around for years...last time I checked high-end Android phones were same price as iPhones...

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Androids don't force you into an ecosystem controlled by the vendor. I prefer the freedom to choose for myself how my phone best works for me.

Edited by Ross

Androids don't force you into an ecosystem controlled by the vendor. I prefer the freedom to choose for myself how my phone best works for me.

That's definitely a plus for some users.....

I'm in the opposite boat, I had a Nexus for personal and an iPhone 5 for work use (recently moved my personal number to google voice and forward it to my work phone so I pay nothing for phone service). The only reason the iPhone is nice is the tie in to the Exchange Server/address book/calendar, that work takes care of. Of course I could do all this stuff manually with my android, but the interface wasn't as good. And if they chose to, it would be just as good on Android with the servers set up correctly. Personally I would pick android over iOS any day. And I'm not anti-Mac or anything, i love MacOS (over Windows). But iPhone doesn't allow any flexibility or user control. Say I want to add a personal MP3 to my phone. Or a ring tone. The number of steps on the iPhone and the tools you have to use are a pain (for me). I also love widgets and customizing my home screen. Also google now is really nice. Say i search for something in google or on maps, its all integrated to my Android already. I can use the google search app for iPhone, but then if I want to share a webpage I have no options. I have to open in Safari to give me direct access to my messages or email to share anything. Such a pain.. But its free for me so I should stop complaining.

My iPhone 5 is only a couple of years old, so I'll wait a while to upgrade.  I'm curious to see if the mobile payments take off.  I do like the idea of payment modes other than credit cards which are obviously easy to hack.  

My iPhone 5 is only a couple of years old, so I'll wait a while to upgrade. 

For anyone that has an iPhone 5 that's in the same age range, it would be worthwhile to check the serial number at the following link. Apple is replacing the batteries at no charge for certain serial numbers that were sold between September 2012 and January 2013:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

I had ordered both my own and my wife's phone almost as soon as they were available (we were still using 3-year-old 3GSes at the time), and sure enough, when I checked the serials, both of our phones were eligible for this program. I made an appointment at the Highland Village Apple Store last week and had mine replaced, It took about an hour. Note that you'll need to do a full backup of the phone beforehand, as they will erase all data and settings prior to performing the service. 

It seems like the long-term battery lifecycle is really the Achilles heel for iPhones - the one in my 5 had definitely started to show its age, sometimes requiring me to charge it 2-3 times a day when I used to be able to get by with a single daily charge when it was new (as expected, the new battery has fixed this problem). And my 3GS had taken to going from a 30-50% charge to randomly shutting down and forcing me to plug the phone into a power source before it would even turn on again.  

I'm probably going for the 6+ to replace my 4s.  Originally I was a bit put off by the size, but then I measured it out and found that it's roughly the size of a checkbook (remember those?) and close enough to the weight of the current unit that I likely won't notice it - if anything, since it's thinner it'll probably ride in my pocket better than the 4s.  I end up getting mail attachments frequently, so the extra real estate will be useful.  My office is very Mac centric and I've tired of feeding my inner geek incessantly, so the integration with OSX is more important to me than the bells and whistles of an Android device.  My retreat from the bleeding edge also means that I'm going to wait until after Halloween to get one.

It would be amusing, though, if I could find something or another that would call up a blinking green c: prompt on a black screen.

You need this...

http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/

• Like 1

^^^ oooooohhhhhhhh... t-t-t-t-t-too cool-ool-ool.  

MaxheadroomMpegMan.jpg

(sigh...) and we still whine about how slow our connection is...

• Like 2

(sigh...) and we still whine about how slow our connection is...

Remember the good old days (wow, I sound old)....when you got the AOL upgrade from 2400 to 9600 baud and it was the best thing ever !!   And the screeches while it was connecting.....and then the waiting to hear  "You've Got Mail" !!

Edited by HoustonMidtown

iPhone is to Android like Rolex is to Fossil. Both have really great products, but the reason I stick with my iPhone and soon to be IPhone 6 is that while Android provides the freedom of unlimited choices, those often new experiences are untested and unstable. I don't think it's a secret to anyone with an Apple product that these services aren't revolutionary when ported to the iPhone's, we just understand that Apple figures them out in a way that makes them more refined and natural.

Not to say the freedom of Android isn't good, I loved my S4 and being able to customize it, but after awhile Id just rather pay a company to make it nice and clean for me, as well as making it "fashionable" which is a choice I choose to make damnit, I'm well aware of how it sounds.

• Like 2

New iPhones went on sale today at Apple Stores. Predictably, people started lining up well in advance for the big event - Channel 13 had a piece on their website earlier today that indicated Apple diehards had been lined up at the Highland Village store for the past three days. 

Who are these mysterious creatures that willingly spend days in line instead of preordering online?

Earlier today, Apple announced its two new iPhones, the iPhone 6 (4.7 Inch screen) and the iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inch screen) as well as the new apple watch. What are you alls thoughts on this?

I currently have the iPhone 6s Plus and absolutely love it.  I've had it for about two months now and have had no issues.  My favorite thing about it is the camera.  This thing is really something nice.  Plus the preview that's built into moving photos now is definitely a bonus! Fingerprint technology is a huge upgrade as well.

• Like 1

I currently have the iPhone 6s Plus and absolutely love it.  I've had it for about two months now and have had no issues.  My favorite thing about it is the camera.  This thing is really something nice.  Plus the preview that's built into moving photos now is definitely a bonus! Fingerprint technology is a huge upgrade as well.

I also purchased the 6s this past October, and coming from an iPhone 5s, I am extremely pleased with it. Rumor has it that the next Samsung phone will include a similar pressure-sensitive display. 

I also purchased the 6s this past October, and coming from an iPhone 5s, I am extremely pleased with it. Rumor has it that the next Samsung phone will include a similar pressure-sensitive display. 

I went from a three-year-old 5 to a 6s, so the jump in performance was pretty significant. I got it directly from Apple through their new iPhone Upgrade Program, where you essentially are leasing the phone from Apple until it's paid off after two years and you own it outright, but you have the option of upgrading to a new phone every year if you choose to do so. AppleCare+ is also bundled into the cost of the phone. Since carriers have moved away from subsidizing handsets in exchange for service contracts, it pays to check out your options when it comes time for a new phone. 

The 6s is the best phone I've ever used, but I'd still like to see more processor horsepower. I'd gladly trade some battery life for more speed in rendering complex webpages. 

iPhone is to Android like Rolex is to Fossil. Both have really great products, but the reason I stick with my iPhone and soon to be IPhone 6 is that while Android provides the freedom of unlimited choices, those often new experiences are untested and unstable. I don't think it's a secret to anyone with an Apple product that these services aren't revolutionary when ported to the iPhone's, we just understand that Apple figures them out in a way that makes them more refined and natural.

Not to say the freedom of Android isn't good, I loved my S4 and being able to customize it, but after awhile Id just rather pay a company to make it nice and clean for me, as well as making it "fashionable" which is a choice I choose to make damnit, I'm well aware of how it sounds.

this is a bad analogy ... or is it?

in that a Rolex doesn't necessarily do well what it was designed to do (keep time), and as such, it is more of a status symbol due to its high price.

a fossil is utilitarian and keeps time well, and due to the price, is accessible to (almost) anyone.

although, I'd say android is more like a swatch, in that it's accessible to anyone, keeps excellent time, and is easy to be customized in a multitude of ways.

Well, I think it is but I see a clear, and common narrative in our comments; we are clearly both somewhat biased. If you use the comparison that the iPhone is like a Rolex, and that a Rolex doesn't do its job well, then I assume you mean the iPhone doesn't do its job well.

All fair points, but we're biased.

Also I wrote that over a year ago and don't remember any of it. So to answer your question....eh?