City Of Houston Public Library Card Campaign Kickoff

trymahjong

Houston Public Library Card Campaign Kickoff and Festivities

September 13 and 17, 2014

Join Houston Public Library as we celebrate the launch of our new MY Link Library Card! Sign up for a MY Link Library Card at any of these fun festivities for a chance to win an iPad Mini!

Celebrating MY Link to the World

Saturday, September 13, 2014 | 11 AM - 3 PM

H-E-B Montrose Market | 1701 W. Alabama St., Houston, TX 77098

Activities including storytelling, face painting, yoga, 3-D printing demonstrations, local food trucks, music, art, and, of course, a chance for you to sign up for your MY Link Library Card.

HPL Location Celebrations

Saturday, September 13, 2014 | 1 PM - 4 PM

Visit an HPL location near you between 1 PM - 4 PM to sign up for a new MY Link Library Card and receive a celebratory cookie and, for your little ones, balloons (while supplies last)! Visit www.houstonlibrary.org/mylink for a list of scheduled activities and events.

This one has a hidden rfid that is read by sensors the city has secretly installed all over town so it can track us all. :ph34r:

You'll be fine as long as you wear a wax paper hat whenever the card is on you. You may ask, "why not a tin foil hat?" Well, the tin foil industry wants you to think that tin foil blocks trackers, but it reality just makes their pockets fatter and the signals stronger! :lol:

You'll be fine as long as you wear a wax paper hat whenever the card is on you. You may ask, "why not a tin foil hat?" Well, the tin foil industry wants you to think that tin foil blocks trackers, but it reality just makes their pockets fatter and the signals stronger! :lol:

That's just a vicious rumor put out by the wax paper industry.  :P

Okay, jokesters...listen up! When I visited a branch of the HPL yesterday, I asked about the new cards. It seems they work just like the old cards, except they have new color and graphics and are paid for by HEB. I didn't examine them closely, but you can bet they have an HEB logo somewhere on them. Apparently, the launch of these was scheduled just after the start of the school year to promote reading/library use AND the grocery chain's involvement in education.

I still have my Power Card from 1999. It looks like it'll eventually become inactive and I'll have to get the My Link card.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/Get-a-new-library-card-watch-your-overdue-fines-5746668.php

I was wondering about that. I just renewed my Power Card several months ago. I'm not too inclined to replace it with the new card until I have to. After reading that article, if the only difference with the new cards is the account number and the goal is to get better usage data via the new account numbers, I think they need some new IT consultants. 

I was wondering about that. I just renewed my Power Card several months ago. I'm not too inclined to replace it with the new card until I have to. After reading that article, if the only difference with the new cards is the account number and the goal is to get better usage data via the new account numbers, I think they need some new IT consultants.

I still have a Power Card too. I use to read the Chron archives, mostly.

• The title was changed to City Of Houston Public Library Card Campaign Kickoff

Archived