Maybe I am posting this in the wrong section, but I live in Meyerland and I have often wondered why we do not have a Super Walmart in the SW Houston/Meyerland area. We have a normal Walmart off of South Post Oak and 610 (which is always REALLY crowded), but not a Super WM. Anyone else think there needs to be one?

• Like 1

I've been in there once, creeped me out. I think the Target in Meyerland will hurt it some more.

The South Post Oak corridor should see some revitalization whent he tollway is finished. Many people have bough old homes in the Westbury area and have to go to this Wal-mart or Meyerland Target.

I agree - that walmart is scuzzy. There is already a "Neighborhood WalMart" on Hillcroft just south of S. Braeswood which is the grocery store Walmart only without the regular merchandise. That store does a good business and is (so far) in much better shape than the regular store in Meyer Park. So why would Walmart want to put in groceries at Meyer Park? They'd be competing with themselves by expanding a store which has rapidly gone downhill since it opened.

Depending on where you live in Meyerland, that Walmart grocery store is probably almost as close to you as the Meyer Park store. Plus, the new Target, although it's not a super Target, does have a lot of groceries. It looked to me like they pretty much had everything except meat and produce. They had frozen foods, non-perishables and even a partial dairy dept.

Who knows, Wal-Mart might consolidate their two stores into one in the future.  But the neighborhood one I didn't know about.  Seems Wal-mart will save cost by leaving them both alone.

I sorta doubt they'll consolidate. The big store in Meyer Park has been there for several years. They just opened the Neighborhood store about a year or two ago, so I'm guessing they did a study to see where the best place for a grocery store would be.

In fact, it IS a much better location for a grocery store. Their only competition for the Nbhd store is the HEB (formerly Pantry so very small) at the corner of S. Braeswood & Chimney Rock. That Walmart has pretty much sewed up that area. Whereas if they were to expand the MeyerPark WalMart, they'd be in direct competition with the already existing Randalls & Kroger which are right there at that spot.

The only potential threat to the Nbhd store is if any other grocery store were ever to open in the now-defunct location of Albertsons on S. Braeswood & Fondren. But that location has not been successful in the past -- just that one mile between Hillcroft & Fondren represents a great difference in neighborhood, from large single family homes on both sides of Hillcroft, to a slew of apartments along Fondren which have not held up well to the test of time.

I HATE going to that little bitty crowded Walmart in Meyerland. The only thing pretty in that area is the Lake and the ducks (and expensive apartments across the street. The lanes in Walmart are crowded and hard to find anything.

I love my Super Walmart I go to on Kirkwood! :P

My pet peeve is Target on Wilcrest but I have mentioned that too many times before.

If you want to put dumpy stores next to each other:

Target on Wilcrest

Walmart in Meyerland

I just think Target on Wilcrest needs to knock down half its strip center. We don't need a Ross, Paylis Royal (however you spell it), Keep Petco too, I like them!!! (keep the Carnival shoes, they got some good prices!!) .

I HATE going to that little bitty crowded Walmart in Meyerland.

It's actually in Meyer Park (not Meyerland). Those are two separate and distinct centers -- the new Target is in Meyerland and that whole center has been revitalized and is wonderful. Meyer Park on the other hand, with the crummy WalMart, has not kept up its initial promise. It has sort of gone downhill a bit. Although they did remodel that Randall's recently, I don't have high hopes for Randall's long term future in Houston.

Don't forget Belden's at N. Braeswood & Chimney Rock. Or is that considered too upscale, and thus not in direct competition with Wally World? Granted, Belden's everyday prices are a bit on the high side (think: Randall's), though they have good specials that you don't need a card to take advantage of.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much competition Belden's represents for WalMart -- I think it's a different kind of store. You don't need a card at the HEB or Walmart either -- that's a Randall's/Krogers gimmick. I can't imagine that anyone who would regularly shop at Walmart would switch to regularly doing all their grocery shopping at Belden's. I do go to Belden's occasionally for specific things but in general, their prices are much higher.

Don't forget the Super Target on Main at OST.

We usually shop at the Krogers on OST at Cambridge, but you can find some deals on groceries at Super Target as well.

It's amazing the variation in prices at those two stores. Somedays you can find an item in one store for half the price of the other. Target's Archer Farms brand actually makes some good food...some of their frozen foods are excellent and CHEAP. Their pizzas in particular, are the best frozen pizzas I've ever had, and half the price of the "premium" brands.

As for the Meyer Park Wal-Mart, my wife and I went there Sunday to pick up a few things...but we found that most of the items we needed were cheaper at Super Target (the rest of the items were equally priced at both stores). I was surprised that the Target was cheaper than Wal-Mart.

I usually am not too bothered by these things, but that Meyer Park Wal-Mart IS extremely crowded everytime I shop there. On Sunday I drove up and down 5 parking aisles before I found a single parking spot. Not a "decent" parking spot, but ANY parking spot. Then once inside the store...let's just say it's a freakin' zoo.

The Walmart on Dunvale is the same way. And sometimes I feel like I left the USA when going there.

The one time I went to the Meyer Park Wal-Mart I was disgusted by the workers and the attitudes of the customers. This isn't similar to other Wal-Marts I've been. I haven't been to a Wal-Mart in over two years and it's NOT by choice, it's just because the nearest ones to where I'm at in Cottage Grove (TC-Jester at I-10) is either the neighborhood one on Long Point at Wirt or the Meyer Park Wal-Mart. I end up just going to Kroger for Groceries on 11th and Target at San Felipe for other items. That'll change when the Sawyer Village Target opens next year.

y'now:

Beldens has some VERY good hebrew national salami! But I found it at HEB at times! :9 (and now it comes Cotto Salami!! Hallujah!

That Dunvale and feeling like you left the U.S. (LMAO!!! TOO FUNNY!!)

i get Meyer Park/Meyerland mixed up b/c I don't live around the area but I am familiar with it.

Every senior citizen in the Meyer area (better? ;)) goes to Casa Ole' over there!! The seniors don't need Margarita nite thurs!! Can't they just go play Bingo or something! :P (BTW I am kidding!)

y'now:

Beldens has some VERY good hebrew national salami! But I found it at HEB at times! :9 (and now it comes Cotto Salami!! Hallujah!

That Dunvale and feeling like you left the U.S. (LMAO!!! TOO FUNNY!!)

i get Meyer Park/Meyerland mixed up b/c  I don't live around the area but I am familiar with it.

Every senior citizen in the Meyer area (better? ;)) goes to Casa Ole' over there!! The seniors don't need Margarita nite thurs!! Can't they just go play Bingo or something! :P (BTW I am kidding!)

Yeah! Belden's has a lot of Kosher foods, and that HEB started carrying a lot too but it's sort of catch as catch can with HEB.

I think a lot of people get the Meyers mixed up. :)

MeyerLand is the former mall on Beechnut & 610, built in 1958 (?)

Meyer Park is the strip center on W. Belfort & 610 which contains the Randalls & Wal Mart and it was developed in the 80s I think.

But Meyer Area will do fine! :P

I never go to that Casa Ole! There is (or was) a Chinese buffet in that same strip as Casa Ole which was wonderful when it first opened, but went downhill so I haven't been there in a long time now.

Insofar as that HEB can carry a lot of anything--it's teeny-tiny.  Not much of an exaggeration to say that there are some aisles in that store where two carts cannot pass.

Yeah, I agree, it's a tiny store. But just after Albertson's closed up HEB went full force with the kosher foods at that location. They devoted quite a bit of space to it, hoping to attract shoppers who formerly went to Albertson's specifically for their kosher foods.

That amount of kosher foods dwindled significantly after a while although they do still carry quite a bit percentagewise in relationship to the size of that store.

I like the HEB near me. Its BIG!! (Kirkwood/Westheimer). I hate the Randalls though on Wilcrest. Its big and confusing (and expensive)

If I need kosher, I'll head to that HEB on Kirkwood. I have only been in the Beldons a couple times and the HEB across the street I don't like. Its too tiny.

I remember I Went into Seller Brothers near Stella Link one time. I wear a backpack purse and they wouldn't allow me to carry the purse inside the store! (not that it was an actual size backpack!)

that Seller Bro. is NASTY!

I went to that Chinese Resturant once and well never really went back. I started going to this place called, "Panda Express" near Walmart (on Richmond going toward Kirkwood) -in the strip center

$5.50 -lunch (combo order before 4) you get a won ton soup, egg roll, dinner and a cookie, NOT a bad deal! for $12 (food for 2 people) even better. The people are nice there too! :-D

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, I thought my husband and I were the only ones who hated the Wal-Mart in Meyer Park. We avoid that store at all costs. Merchandise is strewn all over the floor, especially during holidays and back-to-school. The staff is rude, surly, incompetent, defiant, apathetic and....did I say rude? Many times we left baskets of goods because one or two check-outs were open for dozens of customers. Praise be to Target in Meyerland Plaza! They're friendly, helpful, cheerful and - gasp :o - will even ask if they can help you! Unbelievable. Even more amazing, they have people standing at the check-outs to tell you when the next cashier is available to help move shoppers through the line. What is UP with that? Courtesy and professionalism at a discount store? What will they think of next......

I'm ready to walk out of Super Walmart @ Kirkwood...they are acting like the Walmart at Meyerland. don't give a sh** to what I treat the customer like type of attitude. unfornately I can't say the same for the Target on Wilcrest. I absoutely HATE that store! I walk out of there everytime. good luck finding help.

Can someone tell me what happened to the Borders at Meyerland? I thought it was doing SO WELL!!!

I sorta doubt they'll consolidate. The big store in Meyer Park has been there for several years. They just opened the Neighborhood store about a year or two ago, so I'm guessing they did a study to see where the best place for a grocery store would be.

In fact, it IS a much better location for a grocery store. Their only competition for the Nbhd store is the HEB (formerly Pantry so very small) at the corner of S. Braeswood & Chimney Rock. That Walmart has pretty much sewed up that area. Whereas if they were to expand the MeyerPark WalMart, they'd be in direct competition with the already existing Randalls & Kroger which are right there at that spot.

The only potential threat to the Nbhd store is if any other grocery store were ever to open in the now-defunct location of Albertsons on S. Braeswood & Fondren. But that location has not been successful in the past -- just that one mile between Hillcroft & Fondren represents a great difference in neighborhood, from large single family homes on both sides of Hillcroft, to a slew of apartments along Fondren which have not held up well to the test of time.

The Neighborhood Mkt on Hillcroft was formerly a Rice Epicurean and before that a regular Rice; that's been a long established location for a grocery store. That Neighborhood Mkt is much nicer than the one on S. Gessner @ W. Bellfort which was built from the ground up. Both seem to do a lot of business.

There used to be a Jumbo across Fondren from the defunct Albertson's that failed and nothing in that center has ever done well, for some reason. Sure looks like there'd be enough population. There are big apartment complexes up and down Fondren and in behind Fondren Middle School, but the neighborhood further west on Braeswood, Braeburn Valley, is much like Meyerland and Maplewood in character, just a few years newer. The Albertson's was probably too big for the neighborhood, though, and I frequently encountered service problems. There'd be long lines at only a couple of registers, other employees and managers walking back and forth, and they'd never open another register.

Re: the Walmart at Meyer Park. I only went one time and thought maybe I'd caught them on a bad day. It's interesting to read all the comments from others on how nasty that store is. My impression is that there's not room for a Super WM there; I hope that's true so they'll have to move if they want to expand. I guess they like the location just off the Loop.

My 2 cents on this thread.

The Walmart on Dunvale is an ADVENTURE. Yes you do feel you have left the USA when you go there. I have seen some very bizzare things in that store. Once much like that episode of Seinfeld I saw a woman in the store wear a bra as a top with some jeans like it was nothing. Everyone was looking at her (well the women rolled their eyes) and I'll admit to looking as well.

The Walmart on S. post oak is horrible excet of this Asian guy that is a cashier in the express lane where they sell the cigs. He seems very professional and polite so I've always windered why he has stayed there so long. The guy behaves like a doctor or engineer; go there and you will get what I mean. Him aside the whole store is a POS.

The parking lot is the worst. I just park my car way far away where the trees are in the lot. As you walk up to the store you see complete idiots wait on a space when there is an open one just 3 cars down. The drivers also love to play that loud music with their windows down to impress the girls and pick them up. If you are shopping walmart and doing that sort of thing you are not going to impress anyone with half a brain.

Inside the items are cluttered together and they lack a proper inventory. Even the checkout lanes are all clumped up and many times the customers do not use deodorant and IT IS NASTY! They sell that stuff like 75 feet from the registers and it costs about $3. Why do people not use deodorant?

Anyway, Target that opened up on Meyerland I thought would be great but I am dissapointed because they have a very limited stock of items and variety. The store is clean and their customers much more civilized than Walmart. I like their photo lab and how quick the service is there.

I really wish it was like it had been like 6 years ago when the place where Walmart sits was a hill that people shot golf balls on, the Target was a VERY SLEEPY K mart hardly anyone went to, and the movie theater was still there in Meyerland.

Circuit City and Pier 1 in Meyerland do not seem to be doing that much business. I highly doubt they will stay there a long time. The vacant spots in Meyerland are begging for a Subway franchisee to lease. The Chick Filet is always packed at lunch with 8 cars in the drive thru at all times. If a Subway opened in that mall next to Pier 1 with good signage on Beechnut it is a gold mine.

I don't understand why people have to stand around at the Walmart/Meyerland. (out front) I mean they just loiter. My best place to park in that area is at the "Luby's". I mean the Walmart area has a pretty pond with ducks and this ugly Walmart. I went in there and its a madhouse. I mean the aisles are EXTREMELY narrow and there is never anything in stock as someone mentioned.

As far as Circuit City...even if it wasn't there, I have walked out of that store alot too. The one on Hwy 6 (Circuit City) is SO dark I keep thinking their closed and everything is pushed in the back (along with no help).

They need a Petco/Petsmart out near Meyerland. Chik Fil A may be packed but their quick and the owner is VERY friendly (inside) .

:)

I didn't even know Pier 1 was open!

Weird thing about the Halllmark is I went in one day and a lady who worked there asked me if I went to "Herod" elementry school. I did go to that school and she remembered my teachers AND myself! That is bizarre!! LOL but cool!

They need a Petco/Petsmart out near Meyerland.

There's one in the shopping center on Kirby across from Reliant Stadium. The Petsmart replaced the old KMart there (next to Fiesta, same parking lot as Antone's).

There's also a Petsmart on the West Loop between Fournace and Westpark.

Either one of those are easily less than 5 minutes from Meyerland.

"I found out they aren't closed but must be leasing half their store to another company. Because I saw people walk in and out of there...but yet there is a big "FOR LEASE" sign on the side of the building. Weird!"

It looks like there finally will be some use for the old Planet Music site..

Now I'm awaiting for someone to take the old Media Play spot at Meyer Park.

The sign on Borders says 27,000 sf for lease.  Is that the size of the little area where you take the escalators to, but is blocked off right now (I can't think of another way to describe it).  Does anyone know how big Borders is?

You mean the window space squeezed next to the escalators?

Now I'm awaiting for someone to take the old Media Play spot at Meyer Park.

That old Media Play spot in Meyer Park started out as PharMor. Media play lasted about 5 minutes in the grand scheme of things. And that very large spot has been empty ever since. How many years has it been?

That empty spot, the rundown condition of the Walmart and the deterioration of the AMC movie theatre have contributed greatly to the decline of Meyer Park. When that movie theatre opened, it was the largest in Texas (or something like that) and was very nice. But as soon as stadium seating came into the picture, it was done for.

The amazing thing is that the houses in the neighborhood directly south of the center (Willow Meadows), although old (mid-century), have held up their value very well and continue to gain in value. I can't figure out why that center has gone down and why that one piece of it has remained empty for so long.