half price books in the village used to be a bank.  it also has flooding issues when it sprinkles, and apparently there are certain creatures that visit from next door...(ewwww)!  the rent is really high, but it is their most profitable store in houston.

Part of it may have been a bank at one time, but the majority of the building's original use was as a department store. My mother who grew up near the area has verified this, and the original terrazzo entrance to the store confirms it. When going in the main entrance of Half Price Books you still walk over the original "Meyer Brothers - White House Store" terrazzo.

The Meyerpark area is in such decine because of the apartments on S. Post Oak past S. Willow and the slums that are right next to Westbury High on Gasmer and on Chimney Rock. The landlords don't seem to care about anything but making a buck so they probably lease to anyone with a pulse. Criminal history, imigration status, credit check are probably not done there.

In fact, I know many people who work in the apartment industry and in that area the city of Houston is leasing vacant units for 6 months and Reliant is throwing in 3 months of free power. The people in city shelters due to Katrina will be housed there and since the city is the leaseholder they can pretty much assign people to units as they see fit. Only if a person has a fellony can the apartment community have any input to stopping them.

I know a manager of some apartments in Westbury and she is very disturbed by this news. Small time crooks and people who are drug/alcohol addicts will be given a total pass. She says even if you smell weed on the person in question they can't do a thing unless he/she has a felony.

Meyerpark will further decline. About 10 years ago it used to be a great place but just last year an old Lady was shot and killed in the Randalls parking lot during a robbery. The Walmart greatly contributed to the decline of the center. It attracts riff raffs like bees are drawn to honey.

"The amazing thing is that the houses in the neighborhood directly south of the center (Willow Meadows), although old (mid-century), have held up their value very well and continue to gain in value. I can't figure out why that center has gone down and why that one piece of it has remained empty for so long."

It's because the people who go to Meyer Park come from other neigbborhoods.

Maybe we should rebuild the AMC with stadium seating.

Both in Pasadena and Atascocita, the new Super Wal-Mart was built almost within shouting distance of an old Wal-Mart which then closed down.

It doesn't seem to be their pattern to expand a building...rather they start a new one from scratch - this caused quite a bit of consternation in Atascocita as there were bunches of empty buildings and lots of trees being felled.

Also in Atascocita the small Wal-Mart neighborhood grocery store in Kingwood remained open.

• 1 month later...

It's not troubling at all.

No employer is requrired to provide benefits. Benefits are a way to entice someone to work for you.

Wal-Mart doesn't have a problem finding people to work for them.

I don't know why people get the perception that your employer to should pay for everything. And if you employer does, imagine if he would just not pay you and transfer those cost to your salary. You can get your own health care and retirment and do it better.

maybe people expect bigger and better things from wal-mart...who knows...

when i worked at the bookstore, they paid for all healthcare premiums, so free insurance was the key (of course the pay sucked). my current employer subsidizes a good amount of our premiums, so it isn't too bad...

but then again, i don't work for wal-mart either...

Edited by sevfiv

From the article:

"The memo acknowledged that Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, had to walk a fine line in restraining benefit costs because critics had attacked it for being stingy on wages and health coverage. Ms. Chambers, Wal-Mart's executive vice president for benefits, acknowledged that 46 percent of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million United States employees were uninsured or on Medicaid.

Under fire because less than 45 percent of its workers receive company health insurance, Wal-Mart announced a new plan on Monday that seeks to increase participation by allowing some employees to pay just $11 a month in premiums. Some health experts praised the plan for making coverage more affordable, but others criticized it, noting that full-time Wal-Mart employees, who earn on average around $17,500 a year, could face out-of-pocket expenses of $2,500 a year or more.

The theme throughout the memo was how to slow the increase in benefit costs without giving more ammunition to critics who contend that Wal-Mart's wages and benefits are dragging down those of other American workers."

A couple of questions:

How does the fact that 46% of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million U.S. employees are uninsured or on Medicaid stack up against other large retail corporations?

Why is allowing employees to pay just $11.00/month a sensible way to handle skyrocketing health costs? This doesn't seem realistic to me, and the figure of $2500.00/year for out-of-pocket does not seem unrealistic either. How does this compare to other corporations?

It will be interesting to follow this story, because as Wal-Mart leads, others will follow, good or bad.

Open question: Have any of you ever met and talked with any Wal-Mart employee who is happy with their job, their pay, their benefit package, their company? I haven't yet, still searching...

• 3 months later...
From the article:

"The memo acknowledged that Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, had to walk a fine line in restraining benefit costs because critics had attacked it for being stingy on wages and health coverage. Ms. Chambers, Wal-Mart's executive vice president for benefits, acknowledged that 46 percent of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million United States employees were uninsured or on Medicaid.

Under fire because less than 45 percent of its workers receive company health insurance, Wal-Mart announced a new plan on Monday that seeks to increase participation by allowing some employees to pay just $11 a month in premiums. Some health experts praised the plan for making coverage more affordable, but others criticized it, noting that full-time Wal-Mart employees, who earn on average around $17,500 a year, could face out-of-pocket expenses of $2,500 a year or more.

The theme throughout the memo was how to slow the increase in benefit costs without giving more ammunition to critics who contend that Wal-Mart's wages and benefits are dragging down those of other American workers."

A couple of questions:

How does the fact that 46% of the children of Wal-Mart's 1.33 million U.S. employees are uninsured or on Medicaid stack up against other large retail corporations?

Why is allowing employees to pay just $11.00/month a sensible way to handle skyrocketing health costs? This doesn't seem realistic to me, and the figure of $2500.00/year for out-of-pocket does not seem unrealistic either. How does this compare to other corporations?

It will be interesting to follow this story, because as Wal-Mart leads, others will follow, good or bad.

Open question: Have any of you ever met and talked with any Wal-Mart employee who is happy with their job, their pay, their benefit package, their company? I haven't yet, still searching...

My personal belief is that Wal-Mart will run out H.E.B. Pantry, Randall's, Fiesta, Kroger and all of the other stores in due time. Even pharmacies like Walgreen's, C.V.S., etc.

Well, that's certainly their goal, but, as critical as I am of Wal-Mart, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Certainly, Wal-Mart exerts a huge influence on other big retailers: they have to adapt in order to compete. HEB and Kroger are experimenting in some markets with larger-format stores: they're not quite as massive as Wal-Mart Supercenters, but they do offer a wider selection of general merchandise than traditional supermarkets. Kroger has also responded to pressure from Wal-Mart by lowering their prices.

At the same time, supermarket chains are concentrating more on niche marketing. HEB Central Market, Kroger Signature, Randall's Flagship (Safeway "Lifestyle")--these generally target more "upscale" shoppers and carry a selection of merchandise not found at Wal-Mart.

Obviously, smaller markets cannot sustain higher-end grocery stores, and that's why I think your observation is more true for smaller towns and cities than it is for major metropolitan areas. In these places, Wal-Mart will be (or already is) the only retailer of any consequence.

I know less about pharmacies than I do about grocery stores, but Walgreen's and CVS seem to be pretty healthy. These days, one can't swing one's proverbial dead cat without hitting a drug store.

I did say "in due time". I know that it won't happen overnight. I predict that in about five years, you'll see a lot of vacant boarded up buildings of what used to be Kroger, Randall's, Walgreen's, etc.

I did say "in due time". I know that it won't happen overnight. I predict that in about five years, you'll see a lot of vacant boarded up buildings of what used to be Kroger, Randall's, Walgreen's, etc.

Don't be so pessimistic. Just how many inner loopers like going to Wal-Mart?

After all, compare the Wal-Mart Meyer Park store to the Meyerland Target.

• 5 weeks later...
Maybe I am posting this in the wrong section, but I live in Meyerland and I have often wondered why we do not have a Super Walmart in the SW Houston/Meyerland area. We have a normal Walmart off of South Post Oak and 610 (which is always REALLY crowded), but not a Super WM. Anyone else think there needs to be one?
Wait for astroworld to be cleared out...

• 1 month later...

Updated 6:38 AM on Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Wal-Mart announces urban stores plan

Wire Report

WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to build more than 50 stores in urban areas over the next two years and, sounding more governmental than corporate, said it would also create programs to support small businesses - including its competitors - in the process.

The plan, announced Tuesday by chief executive H. Lee Scott, would be a major shift in strategy for the company, which became the nation's largest retailer by opening rural and suburban stores.

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/040506/bus...20060405042.php

The Wallyworld in Meyerland at S Post Oak des suck, always filthy crowded, and disorganized. So we usually now go to the new Targets (still crowded, but much friendlier and cleaner).

If we MUST go to a Wmart (ad, sale, etc), we usually drive down Airport to 59 (live near Hillcroft & Bellfort).

• 9 months later...
You can have the one they are throwing on top of us here in League City. They came into city government with grants and bought their way in... against popular opinion.

Now we will have one every 5 miles away in a 360* circle.

Heah TexasHome.....don't forget that League City allowed that Victory Lakes subdivision to go in on top of the existing Pecan Orchard subdivision.

• 5 weeks later...

hate to say it....but have you also noticed Wal-Mart doesn't really care to expand into minority areas....the Meyer Park store has no business not being a Supercenter since it's the only Wal-Mart close for people living along 610 from Meyer Park to Gulfgate and 3rd Ward, etc. Hence the large amount of crowds...

They opened one up in my old area off of 2234 and Independence in the 80s and did decent business but a few shoplifting incidents caused them to move to 59 South and West Airport in the 90s which eventually created the freestanding Wal-Mart building boom of the 90s.

Despite my old area never losing many residents, Wal-Mart has stayed only on Highway 6 and has yet to come back and will probably never....Home Depot has taken risks and came back but Wal-Mart won't

• 3 months later...
I didn't even know they were closing.

Me neither - until I drove by today and saw the "AMC" sign taken down and the words "theater closed" on the sign.

I can't say I am surprised that the AMC closed. The theater started losing patrons when Edwards opened. I remember when the screen had no picture and a technician had to fix it.

The AMC Meyer Park has CLOSED! It's toast, folks!

Wow, I hadn't heard they were closing either. I remember when that place first opened, it was a big deal because it was the only megaplex in the area. Eventually it started declining and wasn't maintained very well. I think the last time I was ever there was when they were screening a rerelease of THE WILD BUNCH about five years ago - for some reason, it was an exclusive engagement that no other theater in town had, and I wound up catching it twice during the week or so that it was there.

Me neither - until I drove by today and saw the "AMC" sign taken down and the words "theater closed" on the sign.

I can't say I am surprised that the AMC closed. The theater started losing patrons when Edwards opened. I remember when the screen had no picture and a technician had to fix it.

I am new to the area, where do residents of Westbury and Meyerland go to see movies now that the AMC is closed?

I am new to the area, where do residents of Westbury and Meyerland go to see movies now that the AMC is closed?

I would assume that they, especially the wealthier residents, to go to the Edwards Grand Palace in the area near Upper Kirby.

Edwards or the Greenway, both in Greenway Plaza.

By the way, remember that the Edwards is the area large, traditional first showing theater, while Landmark Greenway is a small, art house theater.

EDIT for 2008: Greenway has closed!

Edited by VicMan

The AMC Meyer Park has CLOSED! It's toast, folks!

That's sad...lots of memories associated with that place. I remember going there when it first opened, and it was definitely the nicest theater around. Prior to its opening, we used to go to the theater at Meyerland Plaza or the Bellaire theater (both of which are also history). I can't remember the last time I visited AMC Meyer Park, but it must have been at least 10 years ago...

That's sad...lots of memories associated with that place. I remember going there when it first opened, and it was definitely the nicest theater around. Prior to its opening, we used to go to the theater at Meyerland Plaza or the Bellaire theater (both of which are also history). I can't remember the last time I visited AMC Meyer Park, but it must have been at least 10 years ago...

I went to Meyer Park several times during its final days.

* There was a time when the sound didn't work, and I had to flag a technician in order to get the sound working.

* There were few patrons, and the patrons seemed like they mainly came from apartments.

* Employees told me that the theater had the possibility of being closed.