Upcoming construction on I-45 and US59 near downtown

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the construction that has closed Pierce/St Joseph northbound from 45 going to downtown forcing you to get off at Scott and u-turn back to the feeder? That closure seems north of what is described in the article and also is not on the main lanes. Trying to figure out what they are doing and the timeline. Its really bad in the afternoons, I can't imagine what that is causing in the morning for people headed downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 8:55 PM, Sanjorade said:

So, we are spending $9b on new road projects for cars at the same time we are trying to stall/kill a privately owned and funded high speed railroad that would take pressure OFF some of those roads?

Public policy in this State (and country) is broken.

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

So, we are spending $9b on new road projects for cars at the same time we are trying to stall/kill a privately owned and funded high speed railroad that would take pressure OFF some of those roads?

Public policy in this State (and country) is broken.

Policy in general is broken. Society could be so much more advanced ...

The system I love the most is the one in DC. Went there just a few weeks ago and the stops that connect out to the suburbs are just wonderful. We stayed with some family in Vienna, Virginia, and parked at the parking garage at Vienna Metro South, the very last stop for the Orange Line. Easy to hop on, stopped at each major spot along the way, but it eventually took us into the heart of the Capitol, all while being in the center of the highway. What was very interesting about each stop was how major developments quite similar to City Centre had developed around each stop. Not all of them but a good number of the stops had something unique at each. Here's the Mosaic.... this one isn't right on the train line (was about 15 mins away walking) but the area was quite walkable to the Mosaic.

Image result for mosaic district virginia

You just sit back and relax, and watch the traffic stopped on the highways as you zip by. It was all above ground until you got closer to Arlington so I could certainly seeing it work here in Houston. Anyway, I guess I got off topic here but yes.... wish we could do like DC and better integrate fast mass transit (one that's not tied to the street grid) with the highway system. I'd much rather sit back, read a book, and hope off at the Memorial City area than sit back in accident laden I-10.

Great post.  I often cite the DC system as an example of why heavy rail could actually work in Houston.  The system was built in the 70s, so it's not a typical example of "the only reason why rail works there is because it's 100+ years old."  Of course, the system in Houston wouldn't be laid out quite like DC's, as DC's jobs are more centralized, but similar technology, if the system were completely built out, would clearly attain the most transit ridership.  

On 4/8/2017 at 10:22 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

This makes no sense. The connector from I-45 S into downtown that takes you to Pierce, is roughly new compared to other parts of 45. It works fine and never had traffic. It was a straight shot into downtown and now, it's a mess. Texas...would rather build more roads or tear down new ones and rebuild than bringing high speed rail to cities that would greatly benefit from it.

The issue is that the connector was underused while the 45 main lanes were overused. The new configuration will eliminate drivers enter at the Spur 5, Cullen, or Scott St. on ramps and merging across three lanes for the 59 S exit. This will increase usage of the double left and exit for the Scott St. exit connector and reduce traffic on 45 between that point and 59.

For traffic heading downtown, a new exit will be added after Scott St. at the same location the existing connector terminated. 

5 hours ago, KyleJohnstonNet said:

The issue is that the connector was underused while the 45 main lanes were overused. The new configuration will eliminate drivers enter at the Spur 5, Cullen, or Scott St. on ramps and merging across three lanes for the 59 S exit. This will increase usage of the double left and exit for the Scott St. exit connector and reduce traffic on 45 between that point and 59.

For traffic heading downtown, a new exit will be added after Scott St. at the same location the existing connector terminated. 

Yep. The primary issue is that the Alvin Freeway was never built, so the expected traffic counts on the Spur 5/SH 35 parallel lanes never materialized. A bunch of excess capacity is not used, nor will it ever be used in its current configuration. This addresses that.

9 hours ago, ADCS said:

Yep. The primary issue is that the Alvin Freeway was never built, so the expected traffic counts on the Spur 5/SH 35 parallel lanes never materialized. A bunch of excess capacity is not used, nor will it ever be used in its current configuration. This addresses that.

Do you know why they never built out Spur 5?

1980s oil crash killed all the freeway projects. except 225. That was killed by local opposition, and it was killed prior to the oil crash.

I do wonder if the congestion that is currently trying to exit gulf freeway for 59, I wonder if that is just going to be pushed farther down the gulf freeway?

There's 1 dedicated lane and one split lane exit for the spur. So there will be 1 dedicated and one split exit for 59?

I assume they are going adjust that exit to at least make it 2 dedicated lanes to exit? maybe they can go as far as 2 dedicated lanes and one split lane, that would really be for the best.

They just made the stub that goes by UH recently, not in the 80s.

From Houston Freeways

But the Alvin Freeway never died, and in 1999 the first short section opened, [p 265]

The book also says that they were going to reevaluate the whole corridor

The entire Highway 35 corridor from the Gulf Freeway to Angleton, 40 miles (64 km) south, is the subject of a comprehensive corridor study expected to be underway by 2004. [p266]

I found the final report from that study:

https://www.h-gac.com/taq/publications/mobility studies/documents/sh35.pdf

and the cover image is A+

Render of SH35

Looks like after the study was done, people didn't like it enough for it to go forward

After receiving public comments on the previously identified Recommended Most Feasible Alternative, the Hybrid Corridor, during the public meetings held in 2005, TxDOT concluded that further discussions with stakeholders throughout the study area were needed to refine the alignment in order to achieve the project goals while minimizing environmental impacts.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I’m really missing that downtown destinations exit that I used everyday, now using   tellepsen and Polk to get where I need to go...ugh. Much longer.

i am not seeing construction of a new downtown destinations off ramp yet. Is this project behind schedule? Harvey probably contributed to that if so.

11 hours ago, felt38 said:

I am not seeing construction of a new downtown destinations off ramp yet. Is this project behind schedule? Harvey probably contributed to that if so

The new downtown destinations exit will be off the main lanes - if you drive up pease street after exiting Scott, you can see the new ramp they are making.  It’s mostly done, but I believe they are waiting until the 59 ramps can be switched over before opening the new exits to downtown

On 6/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, felt38 said:

I’m really missing that downtown destinations exit that I used everyday, now using   tellepsen and Polk to get where I need to go...ugh. Much longer.

i am not seeing construction of a new downtown destinations off ramp yet. Is this project behind schedule? Harvey probably contributed to that if so.

as someone who lives and commutes on the streets you are taking as alternatives, I am really missing your downtown destinations exit as well.

On 6/17/2018 at 0:04 AM, cspwal said:

The new downtown destinations exit will be off the main lanes - if you drive up pease street after exiting Scott, you can see the new ramp they are making.  It’s mostly done, but I believe they are waiting until the 59 ramps can be switched over before opening the new exits to downtown

I suspect they aren't going to wait that long. I imagine when they are done with the flyover sections that are directly overhead of the exit they will open the new downtown destination exit. 

It will almost certainly open before they shutdown the current SB exit for 59, and the traffic for SB 59 will be encouraged to take that exit to get to 59. I have no confirmation from anyone, that is just what would make the most sense. The worst is still ahead since most traffic that exits 45 is exiting for 59 SB, but they are seeming to set it up so it will be a fast process, ie they are building the new ramp as close to the existing ramp as they can before demolition.

I see the off-ramps, but they seem to be headed toward 59 and not anything like what the old downtown destinations exit used to be.  Is it going to offload in a different location than at Pease and Dowling/Emancipation?  I might need to take a closer look and stop driving for once through Samagon's neighborhood to get home (Eado).

The exit for Pease and St. Joesph is going to come off the mainlanes after the Scott St entrance.  The current downtown destinations ramp will turn into the Scott St exit and the exits for 59 NB and 59 SB

OK, I finally see what you mean by "main lanes" - the exit won't be from the 59/69 off ramp but further north from the gulf freeway itself.  I am hoping the off-ramp to downtown will be two lanes like it once was.  I'll try to drive over in the vicinity this weekend to see if my commute future is doomed or not.

I think you're right.....doomed.  I drove by and saw the exit and was underwhelmed. It appears to be a single lane exit to downtown, but hopefully I am mistaken.  If not. the future does not bode well for my commute.

Hope the people driving to 69/59 from the Gulf freeway will be happy with the end result.  I sure liked driving on those wide empty lanes with the great view of downtown approaching all those years.

The bad news
The I-45 connector to I-69 southbound is slated for demolition and reconstruction. It is scheduled to close in October and re-open in March.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/06-27-18-houston-prepare-for-major-construction-downtown-for-the-gulf-freeway/

Whaaaaaaaat...... for that long? I have a feeling this is going to be an even bigger mess than the northbound ramp being shut down. How are people expected to go south now during this phase?

On 6/26/2018 at 0:17 PM, felt38 said:

I think you're right.....doomed.  I drove by and saw the exit and was underwhelmed. It appears to be a single lane exit to downtown, but hopefully I am mistaken.  If not. the future does not bode well for my commute.

Hope the people driving to 69/59 from the Gulf freeway will be happy with the end result.  I sure liked driving on those wide empty lanes with the great view of downtown approaching all those years.

For the amount of concrete, I think it's going to be 2 lanes that exit for downtown.

3 hours ago, Triton said:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/06-27-18-houston-prepare-for-major-construction-downtown-for-the-gulf-freeway/

Whaaaaaaaat...... for that long? I have a feeling this is going to be an even bigger mess than the northbound ramp being shut down. How are people expected to go south now during this phase?

it's part of the good news:

The good news
The Gulf Freeway connector to I-69 northbound through downtown Houston is scheduled to open in August, along with the at-grade exit to St. Joseph Parkway and Pease Street.

ultimately, you get 3 options:

1. exit at the st.joseph/pease exit and enter 59 south at webster street.

2. stay on 45, exit for i-10 east, exit for 59 south.

3. exit 45 for 59 north, exit 59 for i10 west, exit i10 for 45 south, exit 45 for 59 south.

4 hours ago, samagon said:

For the amount of concrete, I think it's going to be 2 lanes that exit for downtown.

it's part of the good news:

The good news
The Gulf Freeway connector to I-69 northbound through downtown Houston is scheduled to open in August, along with the at-grade exit to St. Joseph Parkway and Pease Street.

ultimately, you get 3 options:

1. exit at the st.joseph/pease exit and enter 59 south at webster street.

2. stay on 45, exit for i-10 east, exit for 59 south.

3. exit 45 for 59 north, exit 59 for i10 west, exit i10 for 45 south, exit 45 for 59 south.

Option 3 would be easier by exiting I-69/US 59 NB at Lyons and making a u-turn back onto I-69/US 59 SB, or exiting I-69/US 59 NB to I-10 WB, taking the San Jacinto/Main exit and making a u-turn back onto I-10 EB and onto I-69/US 59 SB.

The ramp closure is going to be a PIA for people heading to 288 SB from I-45 NB as well. Fortunately, if you're coming in from outside 610 or near 610, you can take 610 WB to 288.  

Archived