Reserve At Washington: Residential Community

Mab

David Weekley Homes announced Tuesday it plans to build a community of townhomes in Timber Grove.

The new  community, called the Reserve at Washington, will be located at Hempstead Road Near 11th Street and feature three- and four-story townhomes. The builders said in a statement the new community will feature:

• Community park with water features and trellis
  • Close proximity to Memorial Park
  • Proximity to area shopping, dining and entertainment on Washington Avenue
  • Easy access to I-10, Loop 610 and U.S. 290

David Weekley has been building in central Houston since 2008, and has since built new homes in nearly 30 communities in and around the Heights, Rice Military, the Galleria area, Washington, Montrose, Midtown, Garden Oaks and the Spring Branch areas.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/09/homebuilder-plans-new-timber-grove-townhome-community/

Yea, 38 lots on 3.5 acres will be tight.  Yea, it will be a little touchy getting in and out of this.  I'm kinda surprised this lot is getting developed before a lot of these other vacant lots.  I hope David Weekley grabs some other lots and develops them.  They are building a TON of stuff just across 610 along Silber.

and at TC Jester just North of I-10, where Stevenson Elementary used to be.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I wanted to get some of your opinions on this community. My wife and I are both 29 and currently live in Rice Military. I am the VP of Asset Management for the Finger Companies so my office is also in Rice Military. We really like David Weekley and this Reserve at Washington community really meets most of our needs. But what really scares me is all of the sketchy industrial buildings that surround this place. They tore down the crappy motel across the street but there is still two empty warehouses with graffiti across the street and another less sketchy warehouse/industrial a half block down. The home we are looking at will probably run us around 410k. The location is convenient but all of the sketchy industrial buildings and lack of walkability really turns us off. Hines is building that Somorset Green off Old Katy Rd but it is does directly lined to Hempstead. Our other choice is the new Weekley development in Spring Branch, though it will lack a dog park and they are packing them in there. Any and all opinions on this will be appreciated. The big question is whether this project on Hempstead will retain its value? Will this area transition any time soon or will it fizzle out and stay industrial?

My grandmother live in timber grove, so I know this area pretty well.  In my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much on the industrial buildings. In the next 2-5 years, most of the industrial buildings will be demolished.  The creepy motel will be a new apartment complex from Guefen Development and the big vacant spot on 11th street will be a home development by Ancorian. When the freeway construction ends next year you will see more potential development. 

I am surprised they will be able to fit an apartment on that small lot across the street. Unless they combine the empty lot next to it. Though, a high end apartment may help to grow that area. They just need to tear down those two remaining/abandoned warehouses that have graffiti on them. If they replaced that with more townhomes or some sort of restaurant/retail I would consider the development. But at it's current state you are on an island and would not venture out of that small neighborhood.

I live in Timbergrove and drive this stretch everyday.  The Guefen Apartments are further south, adjacent to the railroad tracks.  In-Town homes is also building a massive townhome expansion on Kansas Street just south of this as well.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33138-haven-at-washington-ave-apartments/

They had construction fencing up on the former Paradise Motel lot (was going to be townhomes), but that came down recently and it appears up for sale again.  The remaining warehouses you reference are all up for lease.  A tire seller just moved into 1 this week it appears.  This stuff will redevelop, but it may be a few years.  Hempstead HWY will be rebuilt in this stretch soon (apparently the railroad bridge replacement is this slow part of this).  I'd imagine that will spur some cleanup of this stretch as well.

If you can deal with the current eyesores, I think it'd be a decent place to live with a very high future.  You are within biking distance of Jaycee Park, West 11th street park, and the White Oak Bayou trail.  Also a 2 minute drive to Memorial Park and great access to I-10.  The Somerset Green development signaled to me that this entire warehouse district in the NW corner of the Loop will be changing soon.  It already has started to an extent, just not super quickly like south of I-10.

• The title was changed to Reserve At Washington: Residential Community

Archived