Where In Houston Is This Located?

• 2 months later...
I think it is a side street off of westheimer. Near Cafe Adobe. I will check to get the side street. I ma pretty sure this is it. Though it was dark so I may have just been in a similar area.

EDIT:Ok I think the side street is Persa st.

Give this man a CEEGAR ! :D

"Urban" enough for ya? ;)

Yes, now this is the stuff I like to see in Houston. Leave the suburban stuff for my area (Bryan/College Station). When my family from Other States come to Texas I want them to Say Houston is just as sophisticated as LA, or New York, and is not just a small town with alot of people living in it.

Has anyone noticed this building on Kirby?

I saw it awhile back when I was in Houston, now others around it should take note.

photo.jpg

Actually I think I could benefit from this thread.

Where is this building? I have been searching high and low for it. It is kind of hard to find the business online because the name of the building is just an old business that no longer occupies the building.

aa44ew.jpg

Actually I think I could benefit from this thread.

Where is this building? I have been searching high and low for it. It is kind of hard to find the business online because the name of the building is just an old business that no longer occupies the building.

aa44ew.jpg

It's on the corner of Kipling and Shepard. It was renovated into the Fox Restaurant but now I think it's changed hands again. It's a cool Deco building. I'm glad the restored it instead of just a cover-up remodel job.

I think this may be an existing thread on what it became http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2691 Crome???

B)

It's on the corner of Kipling and Shepard. It was renovated into the Fox Restaurant but now I think it's changed hands again. It's a cool Deco building. I'm glad the restored it instead of just a cover-up remodel job.

B)

Oh OK. Thanks. That's in between Westheimer and Alabama right? I already had a picture in my mind that it was in this area. Really I thought it was somewhere along Kirby south of 59 because of some of the deco antiquish looking businesses.

The Corner of Kirby and Richmond. Little Papasitos (the one I go to all the time, closest to my house), Mama Ninfas, and another building of similar height. Its right next to 59.

I knew that, If you go a little farther down you will be on 59, if you go the other way, you will get to Westhimer.

I have a few more:

aa22nk.jpg

Last time I was in Houston, I had to drive from Westchase to the 3rd ward or 5th ward (I don't remember which one) so on my way back to Westchase instead of going on the freeway or down Westhimer I decided to explore Houston alittle bit. I have seen Highland Village many times going down westhimer, but I have never seen the River Oaks Shopping area, so I tried to find it and ended up not finding it. At first I figured that it would be on that street called River Oaks Something??? and Westhimer, but then I relized in the pictures you can see downtown in the backgroud so I didn't go that way. Soon I said I better find my way out of here and get back before I run out of gas, so I went back without finding it.

aa81ik.jpg

I knew that, If you go a little farther down you will be on 59, if you go the other way, you will get to Westhimer.

I have a few more:

aa22nk.jpg

Last time I was in Houston, I had to drive from Westchase to the 3rd ward or 5th ward (I don't remember which one) so on my way back to Westchase instead of going on the freeway or down Westhimer I decided to explore Houston alittle bit. I have seen Highland Village many times going down westhimer, but I have never seen the River Oaks Shopping area, so I tried to find it and ended up not finding it. At first I figured that it would be on that street called River Oaks Something??? and Westhimer, but then I relized in the pictures you can see downtown in the backgroud so I didn't go that way. Soon I said I better find my way out of here and get back before I run out of gas, so I went back without finding it.

aa81ik.jpg

The first is at W. Dallas and Shepard. Paris-style architecture copied badly.

The second is on West Gray. A great example of-for the most part unrevised-Deco.

B)

OPPS! Sorry for the duplicate...didn't see Western's reply...

The first is at W. Dallas and Shepard. Paris-style architecture copied badly.

The second is on West Gray. A great example of-for the most part unrevised-Deco.

B)

OPPS! Sorry for the duplicate...didn't see Western's reply...

I like the first one.

Why?

Because it looks better than alot of other condo/apartment buildings. Plus its close to the street and doesn't have parking in the front. In other words, It looks like a building that should be an a city the size of Houston instead of something you can find in any town.

Because it looks better than alot of other condo/apartment buildings. Plus its close to the street and doesn't have parking in the front. In other words, It looks like a building that should be an a city the size of Houston instead of something you can find in any town.

Citykid, if you go into urban planning I certainly hope you listen close to the professor to see what your definition of urban or pedestrian friendly is. That apartment building is called the Renoir. Most of Randall Davis' apartments, other than the ones that are historical structures that have been restored, are not ped friendly or urban. Just because it is close to the street does not make it urban. If you are familiar with the property, there is no entrance that directly faces the street and lies on a sidewalk. There is even a gated lot for cars to park on the side of the building, with a gated garden on the other side. The architecture of the building is brutal when you think about what the developer is trying to create. Las Vegas even does a better job of recreating. LOL.

Citykid, if you go into urban planning I certainly hope you listen close to the professor to see what your definition of urban or pedestrian friendly is. That apartment building is called the Renoir. Most of Randall Davis' apartments, other than the ones that are historical structures that have been restored, are not ped friendly or urban. Just because it is close to the street does not make it urban. If you are familiar with the property, there is no entrance that directly faces the street and lies on a sidewalk. There is even a gated lot for cars to park on the side of the building, with a gated garden on the other side. The architecture of the building is brutal when you think about what the developer is trying to create. Las Vegas even does a better job of recreating. LOL.

I didn't mean to say it was that kind of Urban, Its "LA Urban".

How did you know I wanted to be a city planner? I do, Or a developer or something else. I have not made up my mind, but beleve it or not I am about the same age as you, mabe a year older.

I didn't mean to say it was that kind of Urban, Its "LA Urban".

How did you know I wanted to be a city planner? I do, Or a developer or something else. I have not made up my mind, but beleve it or not I am about the same age as you, mabe a year older.

OK, what is that suppose to mean? Although I admit that I thought you were still in high school.

^^^

Even more reasons why this guy should stay up in BCS. He can have his little 10' wide townhomes on 50' wide lots, fake Atlantic Stations, and Parisian bomb shelters up there, if he wants.

^^^

Even more reasons why this guy should stay up in BCS. He can have his little 10' wide townhomes on 50' wide lots, fake Atlantic Stations, and Parisian bomb shelters up there, if he wants.

OK, urbaNerd...that's not really necessary...but enough about you...

citykid:

When you see something like Renoir, stop and really look. Look at those bulbous corner, out of scale balconys. Look at the way the entire complex says to you: "Go away or else I'm calling the cops". Look at the poor-really poor-imitation of a Parisian building. Davis builds some of the crappiest knock-offs you will find in Houston. Just because he finds the suckers to buy his crap doesn't make it good design. If you want to imitate a classic style from the next to last century, then copy it well. I'm thinking you are going to have what it takes in the future. Just slow down; stop and look; absorb it and take it apart. Then put it back together. And be original...don't just copy. And go to Paris! See what it was really all about when it comes to urban design. I'll bet you'll never even THINK about renting a car. :)

B)

Archived