KHTV-TV 39: Where are they now ?

Blue Dogs

For anyone, who used to or currently watch KIAH-TV CW 39 (then KHTV-TV) back in the late 1980s & early 1990s, might remember the list of news anchors & reporters who used to work at the station:

Alan Hemberger (2000-2009): weeknight anchor: Deceased

Sherry Williams (2000-2009):anchor/reporter (Now weekend morning anchor at CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston)

Katie McCall (2000-2006): reporter (later went to Chicago, then moved back to Houston & worked for Ch. 13 as a weekend morning anchor before moving to Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston)

Mia Gradney (2000-2012): weeknight anchor/reporter/Eye Opener Host (now with CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston )

Ken Jones: reporter

Kathie Turner: weather anchor* She's been everywhere all over the place from NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston, CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston, etc.,

Jim McKrell: station spokesman (later became news anchor & after the newscast ended, he hosted station-produced specials)

Donna Savarese: anchor/reporter

David Scott: weekday anchor (came from NBC 36 KXAN-TV (then-KTTV-TV) Austin; later went back to KXAN-TV, where he's currently the weekend anchor)

Dennis Spellman (2000-2009)-reporter: (later became VP of External Affairs of the Houston Housing Authority; currently with News FM 92)

Steve Ottesen: Photographer (now anchoring mid-days with News FM 92 Houston)

Jorge Vargas: sports director (now sports anchor with News FM 92)

Katisha Cosley: reporter/anchor (now with Ch. 13's Deals TV show)

Alan Ashby (1990-1992): sports director

Andrea Nguyen: reporter (now with Houston ISD)

Anyone else that I've left out, just let me know.

Here's some video clips of 39's newscasts back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rud7Er7CM

1992 News Open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN01lOvtxgl

November 5, 1991 news close

KHTV 39 elements, 1990

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4uphx_khtv-39htv-houston-tv-news-elements_news

Both of your videos were deleted??? It says "Video Does Not Exist".

Both of your videos were deleted??? It says "Video Does Not Exist".

Pumapayam, looking at their news set back then, KHTV's set looked somewhat similar to KHOU's:

I've noticed this was from their 7pm newscast back in 1990 and wondered if anyone got video of their 11pm newscast ?

post-9343-0-46994100-1409770216_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

The only station left on Westpark Drive, to become history like KXLN and Kirby Drive. What will it's future be in 28teen?

At lease KETH-TV will merge KIAH-TV and become another ownership, owned by Smile of a Child?

What about the rumors of CW 39 becoming CBS 11 with stations switching affiliates?

that was my childhood station.............what saved them in the 90s was the cartoons and they had access to the rerun rights of several shows plus they had the good movies and wrestling for a period of time

KTXH 20 was another good one as they had rockets and astros....I hated those afternoon astros games as they killed all cartoons but I loved the 9:30 rockets games

that was my childhood station.............what saved them in the 90s was the cartoons and they had access to the rerun rights of several shows plus they had the good movies and wrestling for a period of time

KTXH 20 was another good one as they had rockets and astros....I hated those afternoon astros games as they killed all cartoons but I loved the 9:30 rockets games

Ch. 13 also used to air cartoon shows too during the weekends, but no longer do so!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised the list of names doesn't go further back. They had the hourly news updates and business reports for eons before they tried to do a full blown newscast.

Charlie Scott is one of those people I can think of. I know he was involved in a bunch of stuff during his time there, in addition to those news updates. He is enjoying retirement now down around Needville or somewhere out in the remainder of the "country" part of Fort Bend County.

Nancy Paul passed away a few years back. She did the business reports for many years. I think she became a journalism teacher in east Texas in her years after leaving the station.

Pumapayam, looking at their news set back then, KHTV's set looked somewhat similar to KHOU's:

I've noticed this was from their 7pm newscast back in 1990 and wondered if anyone got video of their 11pm newscast ?

Haven't found video of it so far, but maybe it exists on some tapes that I have. I know I have the first 7 PM show they aired in 1990 somewhere around here though.

I'll have to find the article that ran in the Post on the launch of the operation, but I recall it said the costs to get the news department up and running was a little over a million dollars at that point in time. I'm curious as to how it compares to similar attempts today.

I was surprised they did news....I loved watching the 8 p.m. movie every weekday night....

they tried to compete with FOX but wasn't aggressive enough to me....FOX made its name on aggressive issues in its heyday but they've mellowed out now and are super cheap....I mean, you have 1 person doing Sunday's news....

I was surprised they did news....I loved watching the 8 p.m. movie every weekday night....

they tried to compete with FOX but wasn't aggressive enough to me....FOX made its name on aggressive issues in its heyday but they've mellowed out now and are super cheap....I mean, you have 1 person doing Sunday's news....

Explains why 39 didn't keep their newscasts following 1992!

hbcu, were you viewing a tri-star film? the news retired in 93.

ArchMemoH, plus 39 used to air those non-stop movies during the weekends too. I don't think they did any weekend newscasts when the newscasts were launched in 1990.

• 2 months later...

Nancy Paul indeed moved back to her hometown and was a Professor in the Communications Dept. at Tyler Junior College until she passed away in 2010.

My wife is Nancy's niece.

Nancy also continued to make beautiful paintings that her family and friends treasure.

I was lucky to hear her speak of many fond memories of KHTV, especially the NewsKids program. She stayed in contact with a few other KHTV staff as well throughout the years.

• 8 months later...

For anyone, who used to or currently watch KIAH-TV CW 39 (then KHTV-TV) back in the late 80s and early 90s, might remember the list of news anchors and reporters who used to work at the station:

Sherry Williams (2000-2009):anchor/reporter (Now weekend morning anchor at KHOU-TV)

Katie McCall (2000-2006): reporter (later went to Chicago, then moved back to Houston and worked for Ch. 13 as a weekend morning anchor before moving to KRIV-TV Fox 26 )

Mia Gradney (2000-2012): weeknight anchor/reporter/Eye Opener Host (now with KHOU-TV)

Kathie Turner: weather anchor* She's been everywhere all over the place from KPRC-TV, KHOU-TV, etc.,

Jim McKrell: station spokesman (later became news anchor and after the newscast ended, he hosted station-produced specials)

David Scott: weekday anchor (came from KXAN-TV NBC 36 Austin; later went back to KXAN-TV, where he's currently the weekend anchor)

Dennis Spellman (2000-2009)-reporter: (later became VP of External Affairs of the Houston Housing Authority; currently with News FM 92)

Little known fact about Jim McKrell, he's also an actor, which was a surprise to me when he became a news anchor he in Houston as well as did voiceover work for (then) KHTV. He's been in several movies including playing Principal Thorne in Teen Wolf as well as many TV shows thoughout the previous 2 decades before his time here. 

Here's his IMDB page....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0572100/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Katie McCall, will she be on Houston's channel 51? If she's been on KIAH, KRIV, she will be on KYAZ, and KETH, while KTRK got to be with KHOU.

No she's out of reporting business right now to focus on her wedding, it's not clear whether or not she's coming back. 

Heres an article about that..

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/10/katie-mccall-to-leave-fox-26-kriv.html

• 4 years later...

I worked there during the WB years and this was a nice catch-up. Thanks!

There's a KHTV 39 Houston FB page run by Ron Jackson that has lots of old photos.

I'm setting up a private KHWB-TV Houston page that'll have photos with some of the stories connected with them. I made friends there that are friends to this day. 

On 10/3/2020 at 12:48 AM, Soo said:

I worked there during the WB years and this was a nice catch-up. Thanks!

There's a KHTV 39 Houston FB page run by Ron Jackson that has lots of old photos.

I'm setting up a private KHWB-TV Houston page that'll have photos with some of the stories connected with them. I made friends there that are friends to this day. 

Now that's nice!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2014 at 12:54 PM, Blue Dogs said:

For anyone, who used to or currently watch KIAH-TV CW 39 (then KHTV-TV) back in the late 1980s & early 1990s, might remember the list of news anchors & reporters who used to work at the station:

Sherry Williams (2000-2009):anchor/reporter (Now weekend morning anchor at CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston)

Katie McCall (2000-2006): reporter (later went to Chicago, then moved back to Houston & worked for Ch. 13 as a weekend morning anchor before moving to Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston)

Mia Gradney (2000-2012): weeknight anchor/reporter/Eye Opener Host (now with CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston )

Kathie Turner: weather anchor* She's been everywhere all over the place from NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston, CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston, etc.,

Jim McKrell: station spokesman (later became news anchor & after the newscast ended, he hosted station-produced specials)

David Scott: weekday anchor (came from NBC 36 KXAN-TV (then-KTTV-TV) Austin; later went back to KXAN-TV, where he's currently the weekend anchor)

Elizabeth Lee - reporter; Ray Fisher - sports reporter; Linh Nguyen - photographer, now at ABC13 news. There are more.

Archived