New Dallas Developments

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see the cranes.  Emporis removed the two 70 floor proposed buildings.  What is going on up there?

Yes me too. I know what you mean but I dont think those 70-80 floor supertalls every got as far as applying for FAA approval so its fun to get excited about this new one. Is Emporis truly accurate? Because its still showing the 696ft Lexi as proposed.:/ :o

That would be crazy for us to have a 700foot in Uptown.

It would be our little "Williams Tower" LOL

I opened an account to get more details on developments but it wouldnt let me get more. I think it wanted me to buy some crap to get "researcher" info ^_^

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

Dallas and Houston both... why are all of the new designs so boxy??  UGH someone needs to be more dramatic with our shapes!!  

I agree. Some I like though like the one Hines is bldg in Victory Park(Victory center) Its on this thread.

But yes I want bolder designs like they're doing all over the world. Like Moscow's new ones and many others in Europe and Asia.

Maybe we'll get some better ones in the future.

• Like 1

I agree. Some I like though like the one Hines is bldg in Victory Park(Victory center) Its on this thread.

But yes I want bolder designs like they're doing all over the world. Like Moscow's new ones and many others in Europe and Asia.

Maybe we'll get some better ones in the future.

Look at who is driving those developments in Asia.  Here in the states we have to have cost conscious design.  Developers must of course be able to charge a reasonable fee to tennants.  The only time we'll see dazzling architecture is when its a corporate building for XYZ Corporation.  See Exxon's new campus in Spring Woods.... the "main" building is an architecturally interesting (and structurally VERY interesting) cantilivered design.  Exxon did that.  Hines or TrammelCrow wouldn't for speculative purposes.

609 and the new Dallas 20something building are about as much as we can expect.  

and then there is Amegy's "masterpiece" of architecture!

• Like 4

So much truth in that post Arche.. Houston missed a big opportunity for an iconic tower when Exxon chose the burbs instead of a new downtown building. Spec buildings aren't about to invest heavily into glamorous designs to appeal to potential tenants. They are going to build a cost effective structure and pour the bulk of the money into adding the amenities that make a building class A. I was hoping Houston would pull a major foreign oil and gas company NA HQ during this boom that wanted to make a big statement/have their presence be known to the city but alas.. No major iconic structures from any corporations. We'll have to see what Zaha Hadid does with that one furniture companies Houston "mixed use HQ"

• Like 2

So much truth in that post Arche.. Houston missed a big opportunity for an iconic tower when Exxon chose the burbs instead of a new downtown building. Spec buildings aren't about to invest heavily into glamorous designs to appeal to potential tenants. They are going to build a cost effective structure and pour the bulk of the money into adding the amenities that make a building class A. I was hoping Houston would pull a major foreign oil and gas company NA HQ during this boom that wanted to make a big statement/have their presence be known to the city but alas.. No major iconic structures from any corporations. We'll have to see what Zaha Hadid does with that one furniture companies Houston "mixed use HQ"

The what?!

Read it again. Some guy named Vladimer is a furniture designer. She's been hired to design the HQ!

So that's another Pritzker Prize winner ...possibly? Though it could end up as nothing with the price of oil what it is?

Ok sweet. No idea where this Vladimir guy can't into play but yeah here's to hoping Richland moves forward with the project..

This part intrigued me..

The legendary furniture designer not only tipped AN off about the commission, he was also responsible for introducing Ms. Hadid to Suzanne Klein and Edna Meyer-Nelson, the Richland execs who promptly hired the Pritzker Prize winner to plan their mixed-use HQ.

So AN just found out about this through the Vladimir guy..? Who is he and why would he just now be telling them about it if something hasn't been moving forward behind the scenes since last summer?

Another pretty rendering of the Victory Park area (just imagine a few drunk ppl and it'll be realistic)

Not sure the details of development but I like the view of the Hines Victory Center in the background.

VP-Shot-3.png

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

New Victory Center website up to check out. Lots of stats,photos and flyover videos. Looks awesome!

http://victorycenterdallas.com/

I did notice a typo. On the stats page it says 22 stories. On the official floorplan page it says 23 stories. The building's highest point will be around 25.

If the Fountain Place tower ever had a baby this is what it'd look like. :P

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 2

Huh? I don't see the fountain place resemblance at all..

Its not a striking resemblance but its the straight lines set at angles.\|\ Similar diamond cut theme.No curves. I dont know any other bldg that would look like its related to FP

Just a subjective observation. Different colored glass though.

Four more towers for Victory Park

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/four-more-towers-in-the-works-for-dallas-victory-park-project.html/

And it looks like Houston is leading the attack on Dallas! lol

The biggest of the new developments in the works at Victory Park is a 28-story apartment tower planned at the north end of the development at Hi Line Drive and Houston Street.Called Katy Station, the building is being designed by Houston-based architect EDI International, according to filings with the Federal Aviation Administration.

The apartment tower would be built a block north of where Houston-based Camden Property Trust is now building a 423-unit apartment community on the north side of the American Airlines Center arena.

Further south at Victory Avenue and Museum Way, Victory Park manager Estein & Associates and Florida-based Lennar Multifamily Communities are expected to announce plans soon for a building with a movie theater and retail on the lower levels and apartments above.

The project will be close to 20 stories and will occupy a block now used for parking.

The planned apartment tower will be right across the street from where Houston-based developer Hines and Cousins Properties are about to break ground on a 23-story office building called Victory Center. The 466,000-square-foot high-rise will take almost two years to build.

And Atlanta-based Novare Group – which just completed its 24-story, 336-unit SkyHouse Dallas apartments at at 2320 N. Houston St. – has filed plans with the city that show it wants to build a second, similar building at Victory Park. The next Novare building would be constructed next to the American Airlines Center parking garage at Houston and Payne streets.

Together all these new projects will be the largest addition to Victory Park since construction started on the 75-acre mixed-use development in 1999.

This all sounds great to me but Im still waiting to hear news about the 600ft Victory Tower. Here's hoping the market will be strong enough to get that sucker built. :D

camvic.jpg

• Like 1

Saw this on SSC. People going crazy over there.

Its good to finally hear some info on this. You think this thing deserves its own thread as the wheels start turning? :D

“That site is totally tied to an anchor tenant"

Does this mean he already has a tenant?

Four more towers for Victory Park

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/four-more-towers-in-the-works-for-dallas-victory-park-project.html/

And it looks like Houston is leading the attack on Dallas! lol

Only one of the four firms designing work in Victory is from Houston, and it would be a coin toss if the EDI designed tower were to kick off first or the office tower.  Two of the current four projects are designed in Dallas, and the other is a firm out of Raleigh, NC. 

We don't see too many Houston named firms here in Dallas, but only a couple like Ziegler Cooper and Kirksey.  Any major firm has an office here and uses its Dallas people.  Likewise in Houston or any big city market..... 

Edited by slfunk
  • Like 1

If this gets built, I hope that it puts more pressure on Houston to get a new supertall.

But there is no "this".  There is no real building proposal yet and more to the point ... Perot has never talked about building a super-tall or said anything about height at all.  Perot has used words like "landmark" and "iconic" but I'm pretty sure he's never said anything at all about height.

This latest Dallas Morning News article is truly a "bottom story of the day".  It merely rehashes what the same reporter wrote back in October with almost zero new information. Steve Brown is infamous for re-running developer marketing pieces every 4-6 months.  That's all this one is... Perot looking for office tenants.

• Like 1

If this gets built, I hope that it puts more pressure on Houston to get a new supertall.

I don't. Houston doesn't need a supernal right now. supply is soon going to hit demand, if it hasn't already. Building a supertall wouldn't help the city in any way. Look at what happened the last time we overbuilt.

I think some of the developments being built in Dallas are really amazing for their city, but it should not, for any reason, influence whats being built down here in Houston.

Edited by Sky-guy
  • Like 1

Why? Is there some sort of keeping up with the Jones thing going on? If someone wants a supertall here, it will be built. No one is going to build one just because some other city has one going up.

• Like 1