New Dallas Developments

Will agree to disagree. Your analysis is based on a snap shot of what is vacant and does not include all the projects in development / proposed / underway / stength of the market that the private community uses to determine if a project if viable to move forward. The latter is what I base my anaylsis on as well as the development community.  The bottom can always fall out, but that doesn't look like the case in Dallas and Texas as whole based on the Federal Reserve. It all depends on what metric you use to output the data. There are a handful of office buildings in downtown that are still counted as vacant office until the work co menses on the adaptive reuse b/c if the developer backs out or the deal drops a new owner very well may put it back to its original use due the property had yet to be converted.  

DFW market hit a 15 year high for office leasing while average rent rates hit an all time high. Projects that are being changed / proposed from office to something else is ongoing in DTD. You'll find reports that say the DTD vacancy is very high and do not include all the proposed conversions that affect vacancy rates. 2 sample cases - BOFA tower in downtown Dallas has seen big uptick in leasing where the bar graphs a couple years ago showed it mostly vacant and today is done a 180 turn around with some blocks still open.  Thanksgiving tower - just had a huge tenant move in from California last year in the lower floors while the tower is being overhauled with the upper floors currently vacant while they are upgraded in preps for new leases that are in the works but not reflected on current surveys.

DFW absorbed 2.3 million SF of office space in 2014 and 5 million by end of 2015. As of mid 2015, DFW had about 100,000 new jobs in a 12 month period from mid 2014 to mid 2015. Here are a couple articles talking not only about the momentum but also some proposed projects that are not signing on new tenants or vacating tenants in preps for some level of conversion (hotel/office, office to hotel, office to residential, office/residential...etc.).  One of the emerging trends for DTD is attracting more fortune 1000 companies and start-ups similar to 211 Ervay that opened within the past year.

April 2015

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/office/top-10-reasons-downtown-dallas-will-succeed-44475

Report of Dallas leading the country in dropping vacant office rates in 2013

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/dallas-area-tops-the-country-in-office-vacancy-declines.html/?nclick_check=1

Specific to DTD an article from 2014.  By third quarter of 2014 1.75 million square feet had been absorbed and absorption continued through 2015 while rental rates rose.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/commercial-real-estate/20140928-downtown-dallas-tops-area-office-leasing-so-far-in-2014.ece

Snapshot of 2015

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/tag/dallas-office-market/

You should probably read the articles you link to more carefully before posting.  Like I said above, posting false information is not productive.  For example, there was NOT 1.75 million square feet of office space absorbed in DTD by the third quarter of 2014. 

After cutting through all the weeds and bramble you threw up to try to obscure the false facts you previously posted, the simple facts remain...  1401 Elm does not, by any stretch of the imagination, comprise about 50% of the vacant office space in DTD. 

1) Downtown Dallas still has more than 6 million square feet of vacant office space (more than 5 million square feet of that vacant space is Class A space, not space sitting around waiting for someone to convert it into apartments.  This is according to the commercial real estate research services.  They know what they are talking about.

2) Buildings that are not occupiable (such as 1401 Elm) are not included in the office market inventory.

3) Even if it was included in the inventory, 1401 Elm's 1.25 million'is is not "about half" of 6+ million.

Not that it's relevant to the question of 1401 Elm's share of the vacant space, but if it makes you feel better, I can readily agree that the downtown Dallas office occupancy finally seems as if it may have turned the corner after literally decades in the doldrums.  There was more net office space absorption in the downtown/uptown area in 2015 than in the prior 5 years combined.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cute little building.  But has it shrunk?  I thought it was supposed to be 20 stories.  This looks like it's only 19 stories.

No, One Uptown has not shrunk in size.  Nor has it's incredible design changed from when it was announced.  

That's a phenomenon happening in Houston.

This project in downtown Houston keeps shrinking ... and shrinking .... what a cute shrinking little hotel!

First the dramatic change in its design from world class to whatever and now yet another downsizing in its floor count from 25 to 21 to now 20:

Expectations Lowered Another Notch for Rising Hotel Alessandra’s Floor Count

Houston Swamplot, 02-24-16, 10:33am:

http://swamplot.com/expectations-lowered-another-notch-for-rising-hotel-alessandras-floor-count/2016-02-24/

• Like 2

Color me skeptical.  I'd love to see the CBRE report.   Note that Houston currently has more than 3,200 apartments under construction downtown.  It seems highly likely that Houston has well more than 1,400 apartments under construction in the nearby areas surrounding downtown.  (I count more than 1,500 in Midtown alone.)

Phew...

The only reason to stay at the Fairmont is the million dollar view from the pool. Looks like it's just short enough to not obstruct in any way.

Not so sure of that.  The Fairmont pool is on, what, the 3rd floor?  This parking building is 10 floors tall, and immediately across a narrow street. 

Edited by Houston19514

"Downtown Dallas" is comprised of 15 distinct districts.  Vibrant growth occurring in the city's center long ago spilled over the freeways to enlarge the scope of what is considered downtown.

This has been the official definition of "Downtown Dallas" for some time now:

Reflecting that vibrant growth Woodall Rodgers is now being considered as the new "Main Street": http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/steve-brown/20160107-the-main-drag-for-offices-shifts-north-to-uptown.ece

Wall-to-wall density now stretches on both sides of Woodall Rodgers, growing more dense by the day.  There are no fewer than 23 new towers under construction in Downtown Dallas at this moment with another 9 towers with groundbreakings imminent.  

The density just continues to increase and in this January '16 pic (courtesy of TexasStar on Dallas Metropolis) there are 8 or 9 towers under construction in just this tiny "slice" of Downtown Dallas, including 3 in the pic's foreground.  Another 2 towers are scheduled to break ground this week in the immediate foreground of the image (the two tower Union Dallas complex).

victory_update_01-31-16.jpg

Edited by Native Dallasite
  • Like 2

"Downtown Dallas" is comprised of 15 distinct districts.  Vibrant growth occurring in the city's center long ago spilled over the freeways to enlarge the scope of what is considered downtown.

This has been the official definition of "Downtown Dallas" for some time now:

Reflecting that vibrant growth Woodall Rodgers is now being considered as the new "Main Street": http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/steve-brown/20160107-the-main-drag-for-offices-shifts-north-to-uptown.ece

Wall-to-wall density now stretches on both sides of Woodall Rodgers, growing more dense by the day.  There are no fewer than 23 new towers under construction in Downtown Dallas at this moment with another 9 with groundbreakings imminent.  The density just continues to increase and in this January '16 pic (courtesy of TexasStar on Dallas Metropolis) there are five or six towers under construction in just this tiny "slice" of Downtown Dallas, including 3 in the pic's foreground.

I guess Houston should start calling everything inside the 610 loop "downtown".. :rolleyes:

Google "downtown Dallas". The info graph at the top of the page clearly says this..

"Downtown Dallas is the Central Business District (CBD) in DallasTexas USA, located in the geographic center of the city. The area termed "Downtown" has traditionally been defined as bounded by the downtown freeway loop: bounded on the east by I-345 (although known and signed as the northern terminus of I-45 and the southern terminus of US 75 (Central Expressway), on the west by I-35E, on the south by I-30, and on the north by Spur 366 (Woodall Rodgers Freeway)."

And pardon me, but if I'm not mistaken that picture looks a heck of a lot like Uptown Dallas, not Downtown. Are there any towers U/C in Downtown?

I guess Houston should start calling everything inside the 610 loop "downtown".. :rolleyes:

Google "downtown Dallas". The info graph at the top of the page clearly says this..

"Downtown Dallas is the Central Business District (CBD) in DallasTexas USA, located in the geographic center of the city. The area termed "Downtown" has traditionally been defined as bounded by the downtown freeway loop: bounded on the east by I-345 (although known and signed as the northern terminus of I-45 and the southern terminus of US 75 (Central Expressway), on the west by I-35E, on the south by I-30, and on the north by Spur 366 (Woodall Rodgers Freeway)."

And pardon me, but if I'm not mistaken that picture looks a heck of a lot like Uptown Dallas, not Downtown. Are there any towers U/C in Downtown?

Houston can start calling whatever it wants to call downtown if you wish.  

Since you can't walk one block across a freeway via an imminently successful urban park to get from one dense district to another then however many miles you want to throw into your definition of Downtown Houston is up to you.  

If your definition of everything inside loop 610 is Downtown Houston then you better get into a car and be prepared to drive several miles.  LOL!

Downtown Dallas is comprised of 15 districts, all walkable from one to the other if one wishes.  BIG, BIG DIFFERENCE!  

Yes, there are towers under construction in Downtown Dallas - there are 23 towers under construction in Downtown Dallas with groundbreakings imminent for 9 more, 2 of those 9 imminent towers should start within the week which will bring the total count under construction to 25.  Almost all of the 23 (soon to be 25) have either just started or are only now just beginning to go vertical so within the next 12-18 months there will be an absolute sea of cranes soaring over center city Dallas.

About the same time the cranes start disappearing from Downtown Houston/Midtown/Uptown.

Click on "Get To Know The Districts":

http://www.downtowndallas.com/#/main/home

Edited by Native Dallasite
  • Like 1

See the thing is that you can actually walk from Downtown Dallas to Uptown Dallas. Can't really say that for Houston.

Houston is all about how the towers look from the freeway and from afar.

I mean...well no you can't walk from Downtown to Uptown because it's almost 8 miles away...the geographical position of Uptown/Downtown for both cities isn't really a slight against one or the other lol

Since you can't walk one block across a freeway via an imminently successful urban park to get from one dense district to another then however many miles you want to throw into your definition of Downtown Houston is up to you.

If your definition of everything inside loop 610 is Downtown Downtown Dallas is comprised of 15 districts, all walkable from one to the other if one wishes. BIG, BIG DIFFERENCE!

Yes, there are towers under construction in Downtown Dallas - there are 23 towers under construction in Downtown Dallas with groundbreakings imminent for 9 more, 2 of those 9 imminent towers should start within the week which will bring the total count under construction to 25. Almost all of the 23 (soon to be 25) have either just started or are only now just beginning to go vertical so within the next 12-18 months there will be an absolute sea of cranes soaring over center city Dallas.

LOL! I just looked at that site, 6 of the "downtown districts" are on sides of downtown where there is no "successful park connection". So yeah.. That just blew a hole in your "downtown area" logic.

I'm not sure there are any towers U/C in downtown Dallas. Uptown definitely has some sort of tall buildings going up. Not sure most of them qualify as a "tower", but that's a whole nother discussion..

Houston can start calling whatever it wants to call downtown if you wish.

If your definition of everything inside loop 610 is Downtown Houston then you better get into a car and be prepared to drive several miles. LOL!

Downtown Dallas is comprised of 15 districts, all walkable from one to the other if one wishes. BIG, BIG DIFFERENCE!

Yes, there are towers under construction in Downtown Dallas - there are 23 towers under construction in Downtown Dallas with groundbreakings imminent for 9 more, 2 of those 9 imminent towers should start within the week which will bring the total count under construction to 25. Almost all of the 23 (soon to be 25) have either just started or are only now just beginning to go vertical so within the next 12-18 months there will be an absolute sea of cranes soaring over center city Dallas.

About the same time the cranes start disappearing from Downtown Houston/Midtown/Uptown.

Click on "Get To Know The Districts":

http://www.downtowndallas.com/#/main/home

I have no idea what point you were trying to make, but you made me curious about those 23 towers under construction in "Downtown" Dallas. Here's what I could find 8 stories and above. As you can see, it's only 17 buildings, ranging from 10 stories to 33 stories.

Could you help me complete the list?

Deep Ellum

Case Building 17 stories

Victory Park

Lennar Apartments 22 stories ?

Ascent (apartments) 23 stories

Victory Place (Skyhouse) 25 stories

Katy Station 30 stories

Alexan Skyline 10 stories?

Uptown

Bleu Ciel 33 stories

1900 Cedar Springs 14 stories

Park District (apartments) 33 stories

Park District (office) 20 stories

The Jordan 23 stories

One Uptown 20 stories?

The Brady 18 stories

M-Line Tower 20 stories

KDC Tower 16 stories (6 on top of 10 parking)

McKinney & Olive 20 stories

CBD

LPC Tower 23 stories

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

/ranging from 10 stories to 32 stories./

10 to 34 stories thank you very much and the Bleu Ciel is 33 stories. :D

Good catches.. Except Trammel Crow, the developer of the Park District residential tower, says it is 33 stories, not 34. Corrections made. Edited by Houston19514

LOL! I just looked at that site, 6 of the "downtown districts" are on sides of downtown where there is no "successful park connection". So yeah.. That just blew a hole in your "downtown area" logic.

I'm not sure there are any towers U/C in downtown Dallas. Uptown definitely has some sort of tall buildings going up. Not sure most of them qualify as a "tower", but that's a whole nother discussion..

Au contraire!

My statement of "Since you can't walk (in Downtown Houston) one block across a freeway via an imminently successful urban park to get from one dense district to another"  is completely on point. 

My reference to walking one block was in response to your statement that the picture I posted was of Uptown, not Downtown.  

Klyde Warren Park seamlessly connects Uptown to the Downtown districts south of it and only requires walking through the park to get from one to the other, roughly one very long city block.

BTW, the picture is an excellent example of how the vibrant organic growth that is occurring in center city Dallas is melding together.  In that picture landmark buildings such as Museum Tower, Chase Tower, Trammel Crow Tower, 2100 Ross, etc. are part and parcel to the overall image.  It shows just how complete the melding of these districts has become.  The only thing separating those towers from all the ones in the foreground is Klyde Warren Park.

Courtesy of TexasStar from Dallas Metropolis

Au contraire!

My statement of "Since you can't walk (in Downtown Houston) one block across a freeway via an imminently successful urban park to get from one dense district to another" is completely on point.

My reference to walking one block was in response to your statement that the picture I posted was of Uptown, not Downtown.

Klyde Warren Park seamlessly connects Uptown to the Downtown districts south of it and only requires walking through the park to get from one to the other, roughly one very long city block.

BTW, the picture is an excellent example of how the vibrant organic growth that is occurring in center city Dallas is melding together. In that picture landmark buildings such as Museum Tower, Chase Tower, Trammel Crow Tower, 2100 Ross, etc. are part and parcel to the overall image. It shows just how complete the melding of these districts has become. The only thing separating those towers from all the ones in the foreground is Klyde Warren Park.

Courtesy of TexasStar from Dallas Metropolis

Uhh, I clearly said 6 of the districts in this arbitrary "downtown area" CANNOT be accessed by "walking across a park" (and two feeder roads). Yes a couple blocks of Uptown can, but the original discussion was about the claim that the "downtown area" of Dallas had more U/C that the other "downtown areas" (or were they lying and comparing some huge "downtown area" of Dallas to the strictly defined Downtown CBDs of the other metros?).. If they are using that standard then we have to include Midtown, 4th ward, and the apartments east of downtown Houston, in which case Dallas clearly does not have as many apartments U/C in its "downtown area".

So again, your theory on the "downtown area" of Dallas is completely blown out of the water.

It looks like there may actually be one tower U/C in downtown though..

Edited by cloud713

Here you go Houston19514:

(note: I miscounted towers under construction as it is 24 not 23)

Downtown Dallas New Construction:

Under Construction, 24 towers:

34 story Residences at Park District residential tower, Trammell Crow
33 story Bleu Ciel residential tower
30 story Katy Station residential tower
25 story Skyhouse Victory Place residential tower
24 story Cinepolis residential tower

23 story 1900 Pearl ("Symphony" Arts District office tower), Lincoln Property (actual height is 362 feet, which is tall for a 23 story building!)
23 story "M" Line Streetlights residential tower
23 story The Jordan residential tower
23 story Ascent 1 residential tower (2 tower complex on shared podium)
21 story Ascent 2 residential tower (2 tower complex on shared podium)
22 story The McKenzie residential tower
22 story Frost Bank office tower
21 story McKinney & Olive mixed use tower
20 story One Uptown residential tower
20 story Park District office tower, Trammell Crow
18 story The Brady residential tower
18 story Hall Arts office tower
17 story The Case Building, Westdale residential tower
14 story 1900 Cedar Springs residential tower
12 story 1920 McKinney office tower
10 story Baylor Hospital hotel

10 story Alexan Skyline
8 story Gables/Whole Foods residential tower
7 story One Harwood, "Rolex" office tower, Harwood International

Groundbreakings imminent, 9 towers:

29 story The Union Dallas residential tower, shared parking podium, 1Q16
Twin 26 story towers, "2000 Ross", J.P.Morgan Chase mixed use towers (hotel and residential, next to Trammell Crow Center), 1Q16
25 story The Union Dallas office tower, 16 stories on top of shared parking podium, 1Q16
~25 story Perot office tower, Cedar Springs at Dickson, 3Q16
23 story Hines Victory office tower, Sep. 30, 2015 per FAA schedule (obviously behind published schedule)
20 story Ltd Edition 2505, residential tower, 1Q16
18 story Oliver & Central residential tower, 1Q16
17 story Virgin Hotel, May 2016 2Q16

Planned, 37 towers:

50-100 story Perot Tower
Twin 80 story and twin 60 story towers (4 tower complex near Dallas City Hall), Sarimsakci Development
Harwood Forum complex, Harwood International mixed use towers (3.2 million sq ft of condos, office, hotel, retail):
-- twin ~80-81 story towers (connected by skybridge)
-- ~40-50 story tower
-- ~30 story tower (curvy design)
-- ~30 story Harwood XII office tower
70 story and 60 story residential towers, Pacific Plaza, Sarimsakci Development
50+ story The Lexi mixed use tower, Harwood International
50 story Hall Arts mixed use tower
46 story Cityplace mixed use tower
39 story 2121 Flora Atelier Arts District mixed use tower
39 story South Asian Museum, mixed use tower, Field@Woodall Rodgers Expwy
29 story Hall Arts residential tower
29 story The Oliver residential tower, Harwood International
25 story "Commune & Ilume" mixed use tower (residential & hotel)
24 story Streetlights Hall & Howell residential tower
24 story 2826 No. Harwood office tower, Harwood International
20-25 story Hillwood Urban 1, office tower
20-25 story Hillwood Urban 2, office tower
~20 story Trinity Groves District office tower
19 story "Club Babalu" residential tower
19 story 1640 Edison, Design District office tower
17 story "Old Warsaw" office tower (14 story + ~3 story crown)
~17 story Dream Hotel
15 story Alexan Katy Trail, residential tower
~15 story "The Epic (Union Bankers Life)" mixed use tower
14 story "Pearl" residential tower
Spire Development, mixed use:
-- 30 story hotel
-- 30 story office
-- 21 story office
-- 13 story residential
12 story Two Arts office tower, Lucy Billingsley

Not announced:

Tim Headington holdings (across from The Joule Hotel and across from Fountain Place office tower)
Jack Matthews holdings (old "Dallas High School", Trinity Groves and The Cedars)
Hunt/Woodbine holdings (Reunion/Union Station)
High Speed Rail development (tower or towers mentioned as possible component of HSR complex)

Lmao.. You've got to be kidding me. ONE tower appears to be U/C in downtown. Uptown has a grip of buildings U/C though.

As for that fantasy list of "planned" buildings, keep dreaming...

You say the name and who shows up?

Apartments on McCommas to be razed and replaced by condos

Brittany Nunn
February 22, 2016

IMG_6353-1050x788.jpg

Any day now the apartments at McCommas and Greenville, located directly to the east of Corner Market, will be coming down to make room for 36 new condominiums.

Stillwater told neighbors they hoped to demolish the apartments last week, but so far the building is still standing. Once construction begins it could take a while because Stillwater plans to put in a subterranean parking garage to accommodate the condos, which will be two- and three-bedroom flats, according to the website.

We’ve reached out to Stillwater Capitals, and we’ll update with any information they provide.

View map here.

I actually liked that street a lot because of the older feel that it has compared to the rest of the metro. Very few areas in the metro have the feel that east Dallas/Lakewood have. I like it more than the park cities and I really wish developers don't tear down anything more. There is tons of vacant land in east Dallas. I hope they build there. Lakewood is already beautiful as it is.

• Like 2

Here you go Houston19514:

(note: I miscounted towers under construction as it is 24 not 23)

Downtown Dallas New Construction:

Under Construction, 24 towers:

34 story Residences at Park District residential tower, Trammell Crow

33 story Bleu Ciel residential tower

30 story Katy Station residential tower

25 story Skyhouse Victory Place residential tower

24 story Cinepolis residential tower

23 story 1900 Pearl ("Symphony" Arts District office tower), Lincoln Property (actual height is 362 feet, which is tall for a 23 story building!)

23 story "M" Line Streetlights residential tower

23 story The Jordan residential tower

23 story Ascent 1 residential tower (2 tower complex on shared podium)

21 story Ascent 2 residential tower (2 tower complex on shared podium)

22 story The McKenzie residential tower

22 story Frost Bank office tower

21 story McKinney & Olive mixed use tower

20 story One Uptown residential tower

20 story Park District office tower, Trammell Crow

18 story The Brady residential tower

18 story Hall Arts office tower

17 story The Case Building, Westdale residential tower

14 story 1900 Cedar Springs residential tower

12 story 1920 McKinney office tower

10 story Baylor Hospital hotel

10 story Alexan Skyline

8 story Gables/Whole Foods residential tower

7 story One Harwood, "Rolex" office tower, Harwood International

Once you take out the buildings that are:

-- no longer under construction;

-- not in downtown Dallas, even by the new expansive definition (Click on "Get To Know The Districts": http://www.downtownd...com/#/main/home );

-- not an imaginary second tower (I know Steve Brown likes to pretend Ascent is somehow two towers; But the architects and developers refer to it as a single building and renderings confirm the same.);

we are left with 18 "towers" under construction in "downtown" Dallas (and that's stretching the definition of tower to include a 7 story building).

Impressive, but not 24 towers.  I wonder how many "towers" are under construction in a similarly expansively-defined downtown Houston...

Edited by Houston19514

Your first look at proposed Harwood Park, if downtown rail alignment doesn’t kill it

Robert Wilonsky
February 18, 2016

Harwood.jpg

The Dallas Park and Recreation Board got its first look Thursday at Harwood Park, one of four new downtown parks in various stages of planning while city officials await the funding to finish planting green space in the city center. And some board members said they wished they’d seen it sooner — much sooner.

But given its myriad details, including a “dog garden” and a “pingpong alley” and a “linear rain garden,” some park members are concerned the 3.8-acre Harwood Park’s amenities have already been settled on without consultation from downtown residents who actually live near the park.

Carpenter.jpg

Decherd’s newly established foundation, Parks for Downtown Dallas, is focusing its efforts on four parks — Harwood Park, Carpenter Park, Pacific Plaza and West End Plaza — listed as high priorities in the 2013 update of the Downtown Parks Master Plan. The 8.7-acre Carpenter Park is the furthest along: A final design will be presented to the Park Board in August, and crews are beginning to remove and store Robert Irwin’s Portal Piece (Slice), otherwise known as the rusted wall separating downtown from Deep Ellum.

“We have gained land and open spaces,” Winters said. And that, he said, was a result of listening to the “concerns” of stakeholders. Winters also noted that the green space in the center of Carpenter Park has been increased from 0.33 acres to 0.84 acres.

Pacific Plaza has been on the city’s to-do list for years, but it still remains a roughly 300-spot  parking lot bound by North St. Paul, Live Oak and North Harwood streets. Two years ago, the park board opted to reject three independent proposals to develop the park, and, for now, all that remains is an old rendering the board wants to see thrown out in favor of something new.