• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A major win for The Cedars neighborhood and historic preservationists:

Robert Wilonsky
January 28, 2016

NMC_09CEDARSHOUSE2_48145208.jpg

In a city where history lasts as long as it takes to crank up the bulldozer, this truly is big and breaking news: One of the oldest houses in The Cedars has been granted a stay of execution.

Time Warner Cable, which only weeks ago was preparing to raze the circa-1885 Victorian home overlooking R.L. Thornton Freeway, now says it will pay to move the structure to a nearby location.

“Time Warner Cable has committed to working with preservation leaders to relocate the home,” says a statement company spokesperson Melissa Sorola sent to The Dallas Morning News Thursday. “This plan serves everyone’s interests: The home will be preserved in a new location, and Time Warner Cable can move forward with construction on a new hub that will add capacity and reliability for our downtown customers.”

Said Emery, the house serves as “a reminder of what began as one of Dallas’s first ‘Streetcar Suburbs,’ and continued as one of the city’s first neighborhoods that middle- and upper-class Jewish families called home. The house holds a visually prominent perch over I-30 and has captured the attention and wonder of not only neighbors, but daily commuters.

“They have a very quick time line but have given us some breathing room. And they’re happy to have played a major role in seeing this house saved. That’s really good news.”

More about this feud later. Stay tuned.

Meadows Building’s new owners finally confirm plan to raze historic wing along Greenville Ave.

Robert Wilonsky
January 28, 2016

In the press release, GlenStar insists the Meadows — especially the two-story building along Greenville — is but a “shadow” of its former self and in desperate need of a makeover. Present tenants, many of whom are architects and designers who’ve sunk tens of thousands of dollars into recent renovations, have argued otherwise as they’re being told to move.

Architect Max Levy, who’s been in the Meadows for more than 30 years and witnessed first-hand the 1985 demolition of the wing along N. Central Expressway, said in December that to “destroy the other one, it’s like amputating two arms.”

GlenStar disagrees.

“By implementing a program of thoughtful restoration and preservation, coupled with appropriate urban and landscape planning, the redevelopment plans will celebrate the well-known, nine-story Meadows Building and give it the prominence it has been lacking in recent years. 

To make way for this vision, the plan entails removal of the annex building in favor of creating a dynamic pedestrian friendly mixed-use site that will highlight the Meadows Building and provide for a significant investment and revitalization of the Greenville Avenue corridor that will benefit the Meadows Building and bring vitality to this property and the surrounding neighborhood.”

5GStudio has designed a 320-unit apartment building for North Dallas. 

The development is to be built on two empty lots, just east of City View.

Both the Muse and Modera Galleria are within two blocks walking distance. 

Alpha Road Apartments is a 320 unit multi-family residential project located in Dallas, TX. This community is 352,778sf consisting of two expansive pool decks with generous outdoor space, a fitness room, and party room which opens to the pool deck through a wall of glass bi-folding doors. The layout and locations of the outdoor amenity spaces are at the heart of the complex with apartments rising around them. 

The materiality of the design respects the context through the use of brick and stucco and bringing interest to the design through the composition of these materials. To define the project an aluminum louver system stands at the entry of the development providing a memorable icon and gateway into the complex. Alpha Road Apartments is a master planned community providing a home for its residents within an urban environment.

01.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg
  • Like 4

‘It’s showtime’: The Cedars is about to debut the Alamo Drafthouse it’s been awaiting for years

Robert Wilonsky
January 30, 2016

AlamoExterior.jpg

The Alamo Drafthouse, a seven-screen multiplex, bar and restaurant, is nearly finished on South Lamar Street in the shadow of downtown Dallas.

Crews are finishing out the 700-seat, seven-auditorium theater for its Feb. 12 “soft” opening, attaching small tables to leather seats, building outdoor patio structures, installing the elevator, polishing the 3,000-square-foot kitchen, decorating karaoke rooms that look like space ships and the insides of a pinball machine.
“The reason Jack approached the Alamo was he wanted a theater as a neighborhood anchor,” DiGaetano said. “He wanted a place where people could gather.”

AlamoPatio.jpg

The Alamo, which will have a restaurant and bar (the Vetted Well) on the second floor and some 400 parking spots next to and behind the theater, is intended to change that. This is all-hours traffic coming directly to The Cedars’ front door.

AlamoView.jpg

• Like 3

What a cute little building. But has it shrunk? I thought it was supposed to be 20 stories. This looks like it's only 19 stories.

Size isn't everything, Houston19514.

The street-level interaction and seven-floors of underground parking make One Uptown a stellar development, uncommon for any Texas city outside of Austin.

• Like 2

Size isn't everything, Houston19514.

The street-level interaction and seven-floors of underground parking make One Uptown a stellar development, uncommon for any Texas city outside of Austin.

LOL    Stellar?  Seriously?   Please stop.  You're killin' me.

Has it shrunk to only 19 stories?

Edited by Houston19514

While not a physical development, Dallas' film industry continues to grow:

Reese Witherspoon-produced pilot will be filmed in Dallas, highlighting the city's urban vibrancy.

Read about it here.

Beat me to it. :D

I hope the new show goes very well. I want a show based in Dallas NOT called Dallas.

The last one was The Good Guys.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567254/

Edited by JasnoDTX

Houston only has one building over 500 feet going up (609 Main).

Dallas has some high quality projects rising. Just went up there for market and color me impressed with Uptown. I wish our Midtown had developed similarly rather than the big midrise block busters that we got. 

• Like 4

Wow this looks like a tiny twin of 2929 Weslayan! I like it haha

Similar, but One Uptown is more reminiscent of South Beach.

Overall, One Uptown is a higher-quality project than 2929 Weslayan because of the underground parking, all-glass exterior and location.

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 1

One Uptown is nice but I wouldn't trade 2727 Westlayan for it at all. 

Just like height isn't everything, walkability isn't everything, either. 2727 Westlayan can be seen from 10 miles away in every direction. You won't be able to see One Uptown unless you're driving down McKinney because its so short, it only works up close - and even that hasn't been confirmed because it isn't done yet. There are several new towers in downtown and uptown Houston that have plenty of street presence and walkability. 

"Quality" is a matter of opinion, but I think towers that work up close as well as at a distance have an advantage. 2727 Westlayan does both in my opinion. Who says architecture can't be enjoyed for the 99.9% of the population who don't live in the immediate neighborhood? It's nice to be able to appreciate nice architecture and tall buildings at a distance too. 2727 Westlayan looks spectacular up close and from several distant freeways.

With all due respect, the point of urban living is to live in immediate proximity to neighborhood amenities.

Building a tower largely surrounded by parking lots and drive-through banks isn't my idea of great urban design.

Consequently, a shorter building located along a major thoroughfare including bars, restaurants, grocery and mass transit is a better urban design.

Consider the following Google Streetview photos taken of McKinney Avenue and Weslayan, respectively.

Both photos were taken at the base of each residential tower.

image.png

image_1.png

• Like 4