New Dallas Developments

Uptown/Victory Park is not downtown.

Yea but its pretty darn close and well within city limits.

and i'm not arguing to the contrary. i just took umbrage with someone saying dallas is "heading towards having a much more urban city than Houston" and that we in Houston are only used to large corporate campuses in the middle of nowhere. those were foolish statements.

anyways enough of this derailment. dallas is doing big things right now and that's to be applauded.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Construction starts on Victory Park cinema and high-rise project

Steve Brown
January 12, 2016

cinepolis2.jpg

International theater operator Cinepolis USA will operate the 700-seat, 8-screen move palace when it opens in late 2017 or early 2018.

About 20,000 square feet of retail space will be located on the ground floor of the new building. A 640-acre parking garage is included. 

“The theater will sit atop the garage and the retail,” Fair said.

A 285-unit apartment tower developed by Lennar Multifamily is also planned on the block.

“The apartment tower will face the park and downtown,” he said. “They will deliver the apartments at a similar time to the theater.”

• Like 4

Tonie Auer
January 13, 2016

img-Midtown-Rendering-Package-2.jpg

The wait is over: construction on the long-anticipated redevelopment of the old Valley View Mall should kick off by summer.

He’s working with the City of Dallas and councilman Lee Kleinman to finalize the street infrastructure plan; all of the pieces were approved at the end of 2015. The councilman has also been working with the Dallas Midtown Park Foundation to secure the 20-acre Midtown Commons Park Three projects will start simultaneously: a new AMC theater on top of 80k SF of office that sits atop retail, a hotel on top of retail and a new grocery store on top of retail. And, we’ll finally say goodbye to the old mall with its demolition probably between July and October. He expects the first retail and the office space to open at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018.

Scott says construction plans are being drawn now. Omniplan assisted with master planning and Dallas Midtown is working with WDG, 5G and NY-based Streetworks on the three projects. GCs haven't been selected yet; he expects final pricing to come in around April. He’s hoping to get the ink dried so he can announce the hotel and grocery flag at our State of the Market event.

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 5

More information on 1640 Edison:

This Class A office tower, entitled 1640 Edison, will create amazing energy in the Dallas Design District. The new building at the corner of Edison Street and North Stemmons Freeway/I35, will be 17 floors. With destination retail and restaurant amenities on the first floor, and a tenant lounge also on the ground level, 1640 Edison rises to provide a roof terrace with an overhang carousel at the top to give the idea that roof is  floating mid-air. The northeast side of the building has large angled canted columns at the entrance to create a dramatic opening to the space. The materials for the building include industrial and natural elements  mixed - from glass, concrete and wood. The parking podium at 1640 Edison will be covered with an LED-lit mesh that will highlight the building for exciting visibility from Stemmons Freeway. The office building will also include two levels of loft space, an outstanding amenity to meet the needs of the modern work environment.

01.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
  • Like 6

Commune + Ilume Tower

01.jpg

03.jpg

The design of the new mixed-use development, Ilume, will continue the exciting momentum for the Design District in Dallas, Texas. This 25-story building will be one of the tallest buildings in the Design District. Ilume will bring 213 rooms of premiere residential space and 147 hotel rooms to the corner of Oak Lawn and North Stemmons Freeway.

The development will have a number of amenities such as a 1500 SF rooftop dog park, rooftop garden, large hotel pool deck, pool bar, resident pool, fitness center, meeting rooms, sky lobby, and wonderful downtown Dallas views. 

The architectural elements throughout the project were inspired by the spirit and history of the Design District. Flair, fashion, patterns, textures, and arts of the already existing area heavily influenced the design of the architectural elements throughout the project. The contour of the building uses volumetric thick and thin lines realizing a curved effect. 

The feature architectural element is described as a stitched side (corner of building) that will be lit at night, like a beacon welcoming you into the city. The orientation of the building is positioned so each room has a great view of the Dallas city skyline. The interior design includes soft textures, rich colors, and polished materials, such as a luxurious marble tile.
Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 6

Very excited for the Design district but I'm really happy about the Midtown project. Its near me. I can't wait to see those cranes up and watch that skyline grow!

Skyline grow? Am I wrong in thinking everything proposed for that development so far has been 3-4 stories..?

TxDOT is planning another deck park in Dallas, this time in Oak Cliff. 

I'll keep you updated as this unveils.

Recently, the Southern Gateway project has been adorned with a deck park proposal of its own. The proposal before the RTC includes a $30 million provision that would add a deck park over Interstate 35E somewhere between Colorado Avenue and the Dallas Zoo. It is to be paid for with $20 million from the RTC and $10 million from either the city of Dallas or private donors.

Here's the article.
  • Like 3

I really really hope it turns out looking like that if not better but realistically I'll just be glad that they are getting rid of soooo much surface parking and a dying mall even if it's not all tall like that.

My cheap movies are going to be over when the new theater is finished though. I can watch a movie there for about $3 a ticket.

Skyline grow? Am I wrong in thinking everything proposed for that development so far has been 3-4 stories..?

In this video the developer say that the Midtown skyline will look like Uptown Dallas in 8 years. Gives me some hope that something awesome is coming and it's close to me.

• Like 3

Via  Dollaztx on SSC:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/09/first-major-project-set-to-start-in-dallas-midtown-district-along-lbj-freeway.html/

Construction is ready to kick off on the first major development in Dallas’ Midtown redevelopment district along LBJ Freeway.

Apartment developer Mill Creek Residential has purchased a 4-acre property just east of the Galleria Dallas complex where it will construct a luxury apartment community.

Quote:

Mill Creek’s planned rental community will have 321 units in five story buildings.

The project will be similar to two apartment projects the developer has done along North Central Expressway north of Uptown

This is great news. The area is revving up..with property sales too.(read related links) Now build those bigger towers! :P

noel.jpg

Okay, so a 5 story apartment complex..

FINALLY: $300M FIRST PHASE OF DALLAS MIDTOWN TO START

Tonie Auer

January 13, 2016

Full Article

80,000 sq ft of office, movie theater, retail, grocery. The only thing that might be over a few stories here is the mystery hotel..

No offense sir but yes you are:

MidtownParkView.jpg

dallas-midtown-esplanade*1200xx4000-2250

DallasMidtownAerial.jpg

Hmm.. maybe i missed the plans for all of those buildings. I only saw real proposals for the projects i mentioned above.

Uptown tower project starts with morning groundbreaking

Steve Brown
January 15, 2016

hats.jpg

The project at Pearl Street and Woodall Rodgers Freeway is the largest development Crow has done in central Dallas since the 1980s.                        
PriceWaterhouseCoopers will lease 200,000 square feet of space in the Park District project — the first business to commit to the development. The office building will be named PwC Tower.
Park District will open in late 2017. The building was designed by Dallas architect HKS. Balfour Beatty Construction  is the general contractor. CBRE is leasing the project.

Edited by Sic'EmBears
  • Like 2

Not a development per se, but a milestone in Dallas real estate. 

Steve Brown
January 15, 2016

maxresdefault.jpg

It’s the biggest home sale in Dallas history.

With a price tag of $100 million, the 27,000-square-foot mansion has been purchased by Dallas financier Andy Beal.

The Hicks mansion – also called the Crespi Estate – dates back to the 1930s. The house was totally rebuilt and substantially enlarged starting in 2000.

The main house has seven bedrooms plus additional staff bedrooms. The master suite alone is 3,000 square feet.

There’s a separate 2-story guesthouse and an entertainment building with theater, gamerooms and other features.

• Like 2

Okay, so a 5 story apartment complex..

80,000 sq ft of office, movie theater, retail, grocery. The only thing that might be over a few stories here is the mystery hotel..

Hmm.. maybe i missed the plans for all of those buildings. I only saw real proposals for the projects i mentioned above.

The apt complex is only the first step. Designs and specifics for the future bldgs are in the works. Search all the articles yourself. Sorry Im not in the mood to spoon feed anyone.

• Like 1

The apt complex is only the first step. Designs and specifics for the future bldgs are in the works. Search all the articles yourself. Sorry Im not in the mood to spoon feed anyone.

Spoon feed anyone? I've read all the articles. You'll have to forgive me for being skeptical of these "Midtown" renderings..

Nah I just come here for further discussion sometimes the other sites get boring. I don't understand this type of behavior on the Internet. Only here is there really a competition between people from both cities but some of the people here are ridiculously pessimistic about Dallas. I remeber once in DallasMetropolis there was this guy trying to put down Houston and predicting that its economy would fail because of the oil or whatever and people got pissed off about it even if they weren't from Houston. They didn't allow Houston bashing.

Here on the other hand some users here seem like the type of people that would smile if they heard that Dallas was doing poorly.

• Like 2

Nah I just come here for further discussion sometimes the other sites get boring. I don't understand this type of behavior on the Internet. Only here is there really a competition between people from both cities but some of the people here are ridiculously pessimistic about Dallas. I remeber once in DallasMetropolis there was this guy trying to put down Houston and predicting that its economy would fail because of the oil or whatever and people got pissed off about it even if they weren't from Houston. They didn't allow Houston bashing.

Here on the other hand some users here seem like the type of people that would smile if they heard that Dallas was doing poorly.

I've noticed this type of sentiment from both sides of the "rivalry", and its hardly limited to HAIF. Dallas is doing great, but some of these proposals just aren't realistic.

Spoon fed, force fed or regurgitation –I'm skeptical of everything posted at HAIF. Especially beautiful renderings. And ESPECIALLY the beautiful renderings on THIS particular thread. It always feels like someone is trying to sell you something on this thread. Almost always something better than what it is.

If there is one thing HAIF has proven to me –Dallas HAIFers really care about what Houston HAIFers think. That's the whole point of soliciting responses to a Houston based forum, right?

If you scroll up the thread a bit you will see an official groundbreaking. So what's fake about that?

Yes I care what Houstonians think because they are one, if not the only Texas city, in the same tier as us architecturally.

Dallas is basically Houston's younger brother. Are we not supposed to bounce ideas off our older brother for opinions?

If you scroll up the thread a bit you will see an official groundbreaking. So what's fake about that?

Yes I care what Houstonians think because they are one, if not the only Texas city, in the same tier as us architecturally.

Dallas is basically Houston's younger brother. Are we not supposed to bounce ideas off our older brother for opinions?

Dallas and Houston are the biggest cities in Texas. San Antonio doesn't even compete with Austin and it's fallen way behind but hey thanks for the expansive city limits San Antonio has they can call themselves the second largest city in Texas.

Why can't we be friends....whhhyyy can't weeee be friends...

Because some people here get offended when others post pretty renderings of buildings planned in Dallas lol. They start telling us that it might be that WE are insecure.

• Like 2