New Dallas Developments

I ask why Ross Perot will build a 50-100 floor building.  Is his son in the development market?  I know Dell bought Perot System Corporation for 3.9 billion.  So I will wait when the cranes are up.    

Ross is building the building for Dell but it will be in the shape of Ross Perot....as a lasting legacy for Dallas.

Ross' belt buckle will have the Dell logo.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah.. Just like the FAA deemed the Harwood Forum "80 story twin towers" can't be built higher than 378'(?) or so. Those ceiling heights would be like 4.5 feet at 80 stories! Lulz.. It's fun to compile development lists, but this list seems completely disingenuous with loads of developments that will never see the light of day.

Hey what you are saying is racist against little people. LP's do have opinions on what they like. If they want a 4.5ft ceiling then they should have it.

Please read the terms and conditions of this website to prevent further offense.

I feel they will never build a 100 floor building in Dallas.  Everything is being built in Plano and outlined areas.  For some reason Downtown Dallas, there is something wrong.  I cannot figure it out and they make it look so beautiful with pictures.  Just got back and nothing to do there.  I love Dallas but also the Trinity River is awful and they want to build a freeway over it.  They should do what Houston did with Buffalo Bayou Park.  There is so much potential there.  Since the Perot family is so rich.  Build parks walk to ability restaurants, bike and trails.  The Kinder Foundation made billions but gave it back to the city of Houston.  They are now starting a 20 year plan for Memorial Park.  The first phase just started.  The area will the Cotton Bowl is also has so much potential.  I saw that Dallas has the rich north and the poor south.  That could be the problem.  It is not a divers city people are divided.        

I dont know if they will ever build a 100 story but I would like a new tallest or at least another 700ftr+. Not everything is built in Plano. If you really just got back from Dallas then you'd know there are cranes up in Uptown.

I agree with you on the Trinity. Im still new at analyzing development but it looks like when they rerouted the Trinity because of flooding it screwed it all up. I know the Trinity is no Mississippi River but it can look great. Just look how pretty and sensible Ft. Worth's section of it looks. It one thing Im kinda jealous of:

Aerial-view-of-Fort-Worth-Texas-with-a-v

The Dallas section does look pretty cool when it's flooded though (if you ignore the trees sticking out) It shows the potential of what it could look like if they had some sort of controllable dam system. I agree with you rich, poor division is NOT good. I think Houston has a good mix and that gives the city life. Its one thing about Dallas I don't like.

Klyde Warren Park between downtown and uptown has been a hit though and looks fantastic.

Earlier I was screwing with you about Ross Perot. He is  not involved (not openly anyway) in any development. Its his SON Ross Perot Jr. and his company Hillwood.

• Like 1

Aside from the high land prices, the current growth pattern of the metroplex also works against downtown Dallas's ability to attract new corporate headquarters/major offices.  Companies typically like their major offices to be easily accessible to employees and visiting consultants/vendors, so they tend to pick a central location. 

As indicated above, Dallas's demographics are pretty strongly divided by the Trinity River, with most of the white collar workforce living on the north side.  Downtown is nowhere near the geographic center of where the white collar workforce lives, rather it is on the southern edge, which can make commuting difficult for many people.  Plano, Richardson, and Irving are closer to the center, and they are more easily accessed by freeways, hence their current popularity for corporate campuses. 

This is also why the current proposal to move the stadium for the Texas Rangers to Downtown Dallas is met with controversy.

To add a personal anecdote - my office is currently working with a major corporation on the consolidation/centralization of their Dallas operations.  As far as I know, their real estate team never even considered space downtown.  In interviewing many of the local employees, we repeatedly heard remarks like "I live in McKinney; I really hope the office is not moving too far south."  The company ended up picking space in the University Park area, so employees could get to work via the Tollway, US 75, or Loop 12.

All that said, I'd like to see some more towers in Downtown Dallas.  However, I think most will be residential or hotels at this point.

Edited by 9075

All that said, I'd like to see some more towers in Downtown Dallas.  However, I think most will be residential or hotels at this point.

Agreed. Heck even I would maybe rather go to work in Richardson. Downtown and getting there can actually be scary for some people. I live in NE Dallas by the way and work nearby. Though what you say is true. There is still a chance for a downtown tower if it primarily relies on Hotel/Residences....with maybe a few smaller corporate tenants.

Another major issue luring them outward is public schools...though Dallas has some great private schools.

ALSO: A new Dallas skyscraper doesn't necessarily have to be downtown. Scott Beck's Galleria(midtown vision) is pretty cool. It would be nice to see a 600ft+ there. :D

Edited by JasnoDTX

Well at least statup companies are the ones mainly looking for space in downtown Dallas. The new regional US patent office chose downtown Dallas for its office over Houston and Austin.

I would be very happy if the future of downtown Dallas evolved into something around the tech industry rather than trying to woo companies who are already established and need corporate campuses in the suburbs or else no one would want to go to work. With the west end being redeveloped into a tech hub along with deep Ellum and parts of West Dallas im okay with what's going on. It's not all gloom and doom.

I know that in Houston you guys are used to having big corporate offices with nothing around it to even make it a destination unless you work there but here in Dallas I would say that we are heading towards having a much more urban city than Houston.

• Like 3

Well at least statup companies are the ones mainly looking for space in downtown Dallas. The new regional US patent office chose downtown Dallas for its office over Houston and Austin.

I would be very happy if the future of downtown Dallas evolved into something around the tech industry rather than trying to woo companies who are already established and need corporate campuses in the suburbs or else no one would want to go to work. With the west end being redeveloped into a tech hub along with deep Ellum and parts of West Dallas im okay with what's going on. It's not all gloom and doom.

I know that in Houston you guys are used to having big corporate offices with nothing around it to even make it a destination unless you work there but here in Dallas I would say that we are heading towards having a much more urban city than Houston.

You should familiarize yourself with houston a little more.

• Like 1

You should familiarize yourself with houston a little more.

Maybe I do but many here need to familiarize themselves with Dallas too. Houstononion is always "just here" and comes back to write about how much Dallas sucks. Hmmm

Maybe I'm just now realizing he is a troll...

Maybe I do but many here need to familiarize themselves with Dallas too. Houstononion is always "just here" and comes back to write about how much Dallas sucks. Hmmm

He's our forum kitty..

The metroplex is doing great right now, it's just not as noticable unless you drive out to the suburbs.

Speaking of suburbs, I'm just curious how all of yalls mid-high rise corporate campuses 20 miles outside of downtown make for a "much more urban city"..?

Both cities have been making huge waves the last decade or two to better urbanization. I don't think either really has a major advantage.

Edited by cloud713

I never said Dallas sucks.  It is a view from a outsider sorry if the truth hurts.  If you don't like it get off HAIF and go back to Dallas Metropolis which that does suck.  Meow!

He's our forum kitty..

The metroplex is doing great right now, it's just not as noticable unless you drive out to the suburbs.

Speaking of suburbs, I'm just curious how all of yalls mid-high rise corporate campuses 20 miles outside of downtown make for a "much more urban city"..?

Both cities have been making huge waves the last decade or two to better urbanization. I don't think either really has a major advantage.

Oh it's very noticeable whenever you drive through Woodall Rodgers or 35 right by downtown. I was just downtown last night and I counted at least 7 cranes all around each other in Victory Park and Uptown. It's not noticeable to people who don't want to notice it because they feel that their city is vastly superior. Downtown will soon see more cranes with Halls condo tower, The mixed use hotel and apartments in front of the Trammel Crow Center, and the south Asian museum.

Those mid rise corporate campuses doesn't mean nothing is happening in the core. If anything it helps the whole region since some corporate workers of Toyota have been looking into renting in uptown and I know of one who is buying a condo there. In my lake highlands neighborhood several Toyota employees have moved in. It's not like like they all like living in suburbs. Most that have families I assume will but there is many young people who won't.

• Like 2

i was in downtown dallas just a few weeks ago and noticed lots of development - at the moment i'd say their momentum beats ours in terms of new project announcements (with good reason) but as far as "urban core" existing activity it definitely doesn't outpace houston. downtown houston alone probably has something like 20 major projects under construction - probably triple that when you expand the core to include the "golden triangle" area between CBD, the medical center and uptown/galleria.

both cities are making tremendous progress in revitalizing their cores but there's no denying that houston's CBD has and will continue to have a leg up for the reasons stated above. most of the development i noticed in dallas was in the uptown region.

• Like 4

Oh it's very noticeable whenever you drive through Woodall Rodgers or 35 right by downtown. I was just downtown last night and I counted at least 7 cranes all around each other in Victory Park and Uptown. It's not noticeable to people who don't want to notice it because they feel that their city is vastly superior. Downtown will soon see more cranes with Halls condo tower, The mixed use hotel and apartments in front of the Trammel Crow Center, and the south Asian museum.

Those mid rise corporate campuses doesn't mean nothing is happening in the core. If anything it helps the whole region since some corporate workers of Toyota have been looking into renting in uptown and I know of one who is buying a condo there. In my lake highlands neighborhood several Toyota employees have moved in. It's not like like they all like living in suburbs. Most that have families I assume will but there is many young people who won't.

But how many cranes were in downtown..? Uptown/Victory Park is not downtown.

There is plenty going on in DFW, but like swtsig said, downtown Houston has over 20 developments U/C. Crane galore, all across the core..

Demo underway on landmark East Dallas property on Greenville Avenue

Steve Brown
January 9, 2016

Vickery_Towers_Dev_Site-1024x539.jpg

Owner Columbia Pacific Advisors plans to build a new apartment community on the site.

The Seattle-based developer plans to build more than 400 units on the property There will also be townhouses constructed facing the residential neighborhood.  

Dallas architect Good Fulton & Farrell designed the project.

Construction of the new buildings will start after the property is cleared. “We are targeting about May,” said Columbia Pacific’s Brit Funk.

She said the new rental community should open in late 2017.

Houston is the best city ever! It has the widest highways, the most construction projects going on, a lot of HOV lanes, and an awesome transit system!

if you want to get butt hurt over comments, of which mine were in no way meant to be taken derogatorily towards Dallas, don't go spouting off with erroneous comments such as this:

which again, is factually inaccurate and pretty disingenuous. i merely pointed out that Houston's "urban core", especially its CBD, is almost certainly outpacing Dallas' "urban core" in development and will likely continue to do so.

• Like 1