New Dallas Developments

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

What do you mean "give your city an image"?  Does Dallas have a zoning code or something that encourages buildings that look nice like this, or is it just what the architects are inspired to do?

Also, remember from the sub forum description:

Dallas does have land use restrictions, but, more importantly, the local culture in Dallas tends to place emphasis on presentation and appearance.  This, in effect, holds developers, architects and urban planners to a higher standard.

Also, given the amount of new projects currently under construction in Dallas, there is fierce competition to secure tenants.  Aesthetics can be a way to "set oneself apart."

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

What do you mean "give your city an image"?  Does Dallas have a zoning code or something that encourages buildings that look nice like this, or is it just what the architects are inspired to do?

Also, remember from the sub forum description:

Dallas does have zoning, planning districts and review boards (depending on the area).  You'll find a bevy of items listed in there pertaining to setbacks, floor to area ratios, glazing, permitted uses, building materials, landscaping....etc. All these items have community input before the zoning is approved by the city.  In some cases like the Victory, Oak Lawn, or historical overlay areas there are review boards to maintain those standards and allow for public input.  In Houston you'll have deed restrictions (River Oaks area) and city ordinances but no zoning currently.  Midtown area of Houston does have a review board.

Edited by slfunk
  • Like 3

wouldn't be shocked to see that 50-story tower come to fruition if the first phases go well which i bet they do. Dallas' economy is flying high like Houston's was 18 months ago when we thought it would go on forever. biggest difference is that Dallas' economy is so much more diversified that a local "crash" is unlikely in anytime in the near future. of course they'll overbuild bc that's what every real estate boom does but good for them.

and i agree that they generally get much stronger residential/hospitality architecture. for whatever reason over the past 25 years Houston has relegated itself to very cost-conscious and often banal aesthetics. how stucco ever got popular here is beyond me but it refuses to die.

• Like 4

The 1st phase has done well since its been built. Cant wait to see 2nd phase start next year. The 3rd phase 50 story would be the first 650ft+ skyscraper for Dallas in many years. Going off the JP Morgan next to it (738ft) I estimate 665ft for this one. Maybe they could stretch it. Another 700ftr would be very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Dallas Trump Tower.

It's gonna be UUUUUUUUGGE

eh?eh?

trumpdallas.jpg

trumpground.jpg

donald-trump.jpg

Just kidding. It was never built but it would've made Dallas GREAT AGAIN!............eh? <_<:P

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/trumps-dallas-tower-would-have-been-a-standout-on-the-skyline.html/

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto-based builder Great Gulf plans to begin selling luxury condos in its 20-story condo tower at prices ranging upwards of $14 million, with plans to begin construction in fall 2016.

The tower, called Ltd. Edition 2505, will begin selling homes ranging from $1.3 million to $14 million this Saturday.

Some reports are stating this will be 22 story+

“We see Dallas as an opportunity to create a strong base for us in the United States,” he added. “We hope to do many more projects in Dallas and we plan to set up an office when we move into construction on both these projects.”

15120959784_71872861e0_b.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2015/11/18/toronto-developer-to-begin-selling-luxury-living.html

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS!

8/26/15

Dallas skyline is about to turn into a freakshow.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=261961202&row=0

Quote:Structure Name: HI FORUM TOWER

Quote:Structure Height: 1080

That's taller than the Salesforce Tower. Suck it San Francisco!

Thats in the Harwood location. Check the map in the link!

*jumping around like a madman* :lol:

So the FAA determined the Hi Forum Tower proposal to be over 700 feet too tall for them to approve. I'm sorry, but I've gotta laugh..

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/WebBlobServlet

The Federal Aviation Administration has conducted an aeronautical study under the provisions of 49 U.S.C., Section 44718 and if applicable Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, part 77, concerning:

Structure: Location: Latitude: Longitude: Heights:

Building HI FORUM TOWER Dallas, TX

32-47-23.00N NAD 83 96-48-25.00W

420 feet site elevation (SE)

1080 feet above ground level (AGL) 1500 feet above mean sea level (AMSL)

Initial findings of this study indicate that the structure as described exceeds obstruction standards and/or would have an adverse physical or electromagnetic interference effect upon navigable airspace or air navigation facilities. Pending resolution of the issues described below, the structure is presumed to be a hazard to air navigation.

If the structure were reduced in height so as not to exceed 378 feet above ground level (798 feet above mean sea level), it would not exceed obstruction standards and a favorable determination could subsequently be issued.

To pursue a favorable determination at the originally submitted height, further study would be necessary. Further study entails distribution to the public for comment, and may extend the study period up to 120 days. The outcome cannot be predicted prior to public circularization.

If you would like the FAA to conduct further study, you must make the request within 60 days from the date of issuance of this letter.

• Like 1

Oh yea I heard about it. I nearly forgot about Hi-Forum towers. It sure got the internet and ME excited though.

Im really surprised they at least couldn't have got an 800footer out of it.

The more I thought about it those towers in that spot might have looked awkward.

The tallest should be closer to the core like the Perot spot.

Im sure Harwood will ask for another analysis. We'll have to wait and see.

Happy Turkey Day HOUSTON!!!!

• Like 1

A 500-700 footer would great in that spot. 378ft is ridiculous. Its in the same lane as the no height limit Perot spot so it deserves another analysis. Yea 1080ft would be off balance.

I believe they still have Harwood signs up in that area.

Edited by JasnoDTX

Vacant site to be developed into hotel. Sounds great. Hopefully something with some height. :)

A vacant North Dallas office-building site will be redeveloped as a hotel.

Avial Hotels, a subsidiary of Blue Star Hospitality, bought the former KTVT Television building located at 10111 North Central Expressway between Walnut Hill and Meadow Road.

New owner Blue Star Hospitality is based in North Carolina and operates hotels with the Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham, Choice and Best Western brands.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/old-tv-station-building-bought-for-hotel-project.html/

ktvt.jpg

• Like 1

Overall yes there is a height limit but it doesnt cover all of Uptown as some bldgs are over 30 stories. Some areas stay a squatty ~20 stories making it look like one giant shelf. It does vary though on the far west and east of Uptown. 32story W Hotel, 42story cityplace respectively..with a few 30+ approved.

Edited by JasnoDTX

Great news for asbestos filled 1401 Elm. Barely dodged the foreclosure bullet.

Lenders didn’t make good on their threat to foreclose on one of downtown Dallas’ largest buildings.

The 52-story former First National Bank tower at 1401 Elm Streets was scheduled for foreclosure this week by lenders seeking repayment of $53.5 million in debt.

The building wound up in default after a $240 million redevelopment plan for the 50-year-old skyscraper hit a snag.

New York-based Olympic Property Partners is withdrawing from the project after more than two years of planning.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12/downtown-dallas-tower-dodges-threatened-foreclosure.html/

Jack Gosnell: 1401 Elm, itself, isn’t iffy; it’s still magnificent. The reason it’s staggering a little bit is because of the mammoth undertaking of it all with 120k SF of retail, 500 apartments and 900 parking spaces. It’s an immense load to get to market. I don’t think it’s an indication of anything negative having to do with the economy. Think about the retail Downtown like an archaeological dig. It’s progressively built on the bones of people before you. Just getting the building ready for development was an achievement by Olympic. Remediating asbestos and getting it ready is a huge leap for the next investor to step in. There’s been tremendous retail interest in that project, and I think that’s going to be a tale that will tell itself when it finally hits the market. It’s the only building in Downtown Dallas that can house large-scale retailers over 30k SF. There’s hot pursuit of the property by several development companies. Everyone recognizes it’s a one-of-a-kind project in Dallas and probably the last great undeveloped building there, so I think it’s a matter of time before someone steps in. We’d love to keep working on it; we’re so vested already.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-worth/news/retail/qa-with-jack-gosnell-1401-elm-farmers-market-dominating-downtown-53147

1401Scan_2.jpg

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 3

I hope that beautiful building gets a new life but if they touch the facade I will be as pissed as our 800 Bell renovation.

That bldg has grown on me a little, even before I knew about its troubles. I love black glass but could also imagine it with updated sliver glass and it would still look very unique because of its design. If only they didn't use asbestos from the beginning it wouldn't of had to go through all this crap. At 52 stories and 625ft its a bldg way too big to be abandoned or even demoed.

I'll check out that 800 Bell reno.

More crane pics tomorrow! :P

Edited by JasnoDTX

That bldg has grown on me a little, even before I knew about its troubles. I love black glass but could also imagine it with updated sliver glass and it would still look very unique because of its design. If only they didn't use asbestos from the beginning it wouldn't of had to go through all this crap. At 52 stories and 625ft its a bldg way too big to be abandoned or even demoed.

I'll check out that 800 Bell reno.

More crane pics tomorrow! :P

Elm Place is a wonderful period piece. A lot of history and a really cool design. I know that it might not be as appreciated as older styles, but any change to the façade is erasing history and a big no no in my books. The 800 Bell reno (Humble Oil/Exxon Building), here in Houston is going under the knife to modernize the exterior beyond recognition. Some people hate it as well, but it adds diversity to the skyline thus making it more interesting.

Anyways, maybe I’m one of the few fans of Elm Place, I like the podium renderings. Just crossing my fingers they don’t touch the tower’s exterior.

• Like 2