New Dallas Developments

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Houstonians love drawing up your arbitrary distinctions and then using that to validate yourselves. Our Galleria is bigger than yours (ignoring Northpark), our medical district is bigger than yours (Dallas built hospitals more spread out), but then when other cities play the same game you find ways to discount it (OH YEAH WELL NO ONE RIDES DART SO IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW BIG IT IS).

Especially with Klyde Warren Park, any logical examination of downtown would include Uptown as well. So our central urban core is bigger than TMC. There. We all win.

Virgin Hotel announced for the Dallas Design District:

http://candysdirt.com/2015/06/24/crosland-group-plans-two-additional-major-virginal-developments-design-district/

150327-Virgin-Hotels-Concept-3.jpg

Woah, what's up with the attack? Only one person attacked Dallas.

TheGalleria is the largest mall in the state.. What does Northpark have to do with anything?

I like that Virgin Hotel. Nice.

I am jealous of a few things that Dallas has;

1) Topography. Subtle hills make it more interesting but our trees > their trees

2) Design. It's the hub for the Southwest and if you are building high end in Houston, you have to go to Dallas.

3) Trendy. Virgin America. Virgin Hotel. W Hotel. Ritz-Carlton. 

4) More respect for history. Some great older neighborhoods that are largely intact. 

• Like 3

I think HOU and DFW compliment one another beautifully IMO.

DFW has rolling hills, lots of them can be very nice but DFW's ace is that from DT Dallas, the Ouachita Mountains are just 90 mins north. Most folks in the DFW area live north of DT Dallas and DT Fort Worth in the northern suburbs like Plano, Denton, Richardson, Grapevine, etc so are 30 mins closer to the Ouachita Mountains than those in DAL or FW proper. This is a huge advantage for hikers, campers, lodgers, and folks that like to be outdoors.

HOU is a coastal city. It has the ocean (gulf is apart of the Atlantic), bays, ship channels, islands, etc. From DT Houston it is 1 hour to Galveston (50 miles). This is great for beach goers, folks that love to fish, play beach volleyball, boat, jet skii, etc. Houston has lots of suburbs south of DT, so for some folks the beach is even closer than it is for folks in the Inner Loop. Galveston is a great historic town with lots of 19th century gothic architecture, amazing Cajun, Creole, and Seafood to go with some awesome amenities like Moody Gardens, the Strand, Pleasure Pier, East Beach (you can drink on the beach) and lots of activities like the beach music concerts every weekend or events like Mardi Gras. HOU is only of the only 3 metros in TX that has cruises and cruise line service along with CC and RGV.

As HOU and DFW grow I for one want to see them identify more with the topography advantages that surround them. Both cities compliment each other well and I hope HSR is built between them.

My full vision is that I want HSR to link the TX Triangle cities together (HOU, DAL, ATX, SA, FW) and also link NOLA, Monterrey, OKC, Tulsa, Corpus Christi, RGV (SPI), Wichita, Little Rock, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, and the small college towns like CS, Waco, etc too. It would be a very strongly bonded region IMO. NOLA is to HOU party goers what Vegas is to LA party goers.

El Paso should look into developing passenger rail with ABQ and DEN when that corridor gains critical mass IMO.

I'm from Sydney, Australia and Texas setup has lots of similarities to Australia. El Paso-Las Cruces has over 1 million folks but is isolated like the way Perth has over a million and isolated in west Australia. Adelaide and Corpus are similar coastal towns with bones to be a much bigger city. Brisbane and Canberra fits in the shadows of SYD/MEL the way SA and ATX sit in HOU/DFWs shadows, etc.

I was in DFW recently and got the day pass everyday for transit. It was nice to leave the car in the hotel garage the entire weekend and just use DART to go everywhere in the city. I was there to see

Dallas since it's been a while. I love that you can see SMU, U. Dallas, and other colleges by train, that both Love Field and DFW Airport are on transit lines, that all of the urban Inner city areas like Deep Ellum, Uptown, Midtown, and other fun sights and nightlife areas are on the train line. We also used A-train and TRE to go to DTFW and DT Denton and toured the DTs of some of the suburbs in the line (Plano, Richardson, Garland, etc). It was nice because we walked everywhere and when we weren't walking we just took the train everywhere for everything. We didn't touch our car even once after we checked in our hotel and didn't need it again until we checked out. The trolley, DART light rail, A-Train commuter rail, TRE commuter rail, and trolley systems were more than enough for us. I was impressed and wished HOU had the same amount of coverage, hopefully one day. HSR will tie the region up spectacularly, first the TX Triangle and then the major centers around the TX Triangle IMO.

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 4

Here's an interesting summation of all this Houston/Dallas friction.

At the top of each city page here on HAIF there is a message:

[sic]

San Antonio: Texas' 2nd largest city known for the Alamo and Riverwalk

Austin: State Capital, hippie haven, College town. Lots of things to lots of people

And then there's........

DFW(Dallas):My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. Please report violations to a member of the moderating team, or to the Editor.....so you betta keep yo mouth shut!!!!!!

[animated IMDB laugh icon]

Pretty much sums it up. LOL :lol:

Im Dallas born and loves Houston..overwise I wouldnt post on here :)

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 6

Say What? :huh:

Sales of condominiums slowed across the state in the first five months of 2015.

But that wasn’t true in the Dallas area, where purchases of condos rose 3 percent from  2014.

Sales of condos dropped in Houston and Austin.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/07/dallas-condo-market-bucks-statewide-trends-with-sales-increase.html/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

awesome awesome building.... exactly the type of design houston lacks. unfortunately for us 99.9% of our BTS projects belong to o&g companies and hospitals who err on the side of nondescript/less ostentatious (with good reason, truth be told). 

• Like 1

That Rolex building is kinda cute (even sexy, in the aerial rendering), but look closely at that ground-level rendering.  Isn't this exactly the kind of design we are trying to get away from?  It is surrounded by ramparts and moats and is utterly hostile to the sidewalk and urban environment.

Give me 609 Main or BG Group Place, even 1111 Travis any day of the week.

Apparently its a Kengo Kuma project. A very well respected Japanese architect! He has done some very interesting projects.

Archdaily just did a spotlight on him a few days ago:

http://www.archdaily.com/771525/spotlight-kengo-kuma

• Like 2

Apparently its a Kengo Kuma project. A very well respected Japanese architect!

Japan is finally starting to bring it's influence to the Dallas metro area. Its nice Toyota's HQ is coming and I actually work for another major Japanese Co. here. Sanden.

I recently went to a nice wedding. It looks like their cake.  It is really nice, but why is it the name after a watch? :unsure:

It's a new trend in Dallas to name bldgs after things. You should see the new Spongebob tower. It's amazing!