New Dallas Developments

Good design. Just wished it was bolder and weirder. Downtown is known for some funky designs. We need another one. I wish they'd incorporate some black glass somehow. This is a little bland. We need some Moscow CBD influence. :P

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather like it.  While I understand the yearning that people might have for something more eye-popping, I think designs like this one often age better.  Over time, I think it would be appreciated as a competent and attractive addition to the Dallas skyline.

• Like 1

28 story Katy station has been changed to 30 stories.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/planned-victory-park-tower-will-have-more-than-400-apartments-in-30-stories.html/

Along with the 33story Bleu Ciel, and 32story Met life its good to see Uptown get some height. :D

(not to mention the 32 story Azure already there)

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

Can they not build any taller due to the Love flight paths or what? The density is coming along nicely, but the height is still a little lacking.

I believe so but there are "windows" that have higher limits. ie Cityplace....where supposedly they eventually want to build the matching tower like originally planned.

Also I think the Design district, west of Uptown may be a future candidate for some taller structures.

However with all of this I believe South Dallas would a prime spot for true height. Far away from Love field. ....Someday...

Eventually the southside will be the future.

• Like 3

RISE MIDTOWN!

(GALLERIA) :D

Time for us to have some multiple skyline fun too:p

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/morning_call/2015/06/scott-beck-looks-to-lure-corporate-tenants-with-2.html

After years of planning, Dallas developer Scott Beck plans to unveil the details behind his $4 billion portion of the Dallas Midtown redevelopment to city leaders this afternoon.

Quote:
If approved, Dallas could earmark more than $431 million of city TIF funds for the Mall Area Redevelopments, which will be raised from bond elections. Beck Ventures is also asking for a zoning variance to extend the number of stories from 20 to 26 stories, according to city documents.

dallas-midtown-esplanade.jpg

park-view.jpg

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 4

Not to be catty (hat tip to your sig pic), native, but if you do the comparison you find that Uptown Houston is 5 miles out, and this Midtown Dallas thing is 10 miles out.  So West Sam Houston Tollway is the accurate comparison here.  Preston Center is the Dallas skyline that is five miles out, and (on the subject of new Dallas development)  the reason it's not getting tall is that it is surrounded by the most affluent neighborhood in the Sunbelt outside of Southern California -- they don't want strangers looking down in their back yards any more than say River Oaks does.  Even a 27-floor (some said 22) tower was shot down pre-approval last year there.

• Like 1

RISE MIDTOWN!

(GALLERIA) :D

Time for us to have some multiple skyline fun too:p

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/morning_call/2015/06/scott-beck-looks-to-lure-corporate-tenants-with-2.html

dallas-midtown-esplanade.jpg

park-view.jpg

The initial phase of the project (esplanade, apartments, grocery by 4Q 2017) is expected to cost $250 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2015/05/22/exclusivescott-beck-gets-city-go-ahead-for-4b.html

No offense but I'm a bit skeptical the full $4 billion dollar complete build out happens. If it does, it'll probably take 15 years, a la Victory Park.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

Seems very nice and looks like the Energy Corridor or West Sam Houston Tollway .  But it that does compare to Houston's Galleria or Uptown in Houston.  When will construction start? 

not compare, also I forgot City Place.

It will be nice Mr. Onion. Supposedly first tower should begin by years end. Was 20 stories..now Beck is pushing it to 26 stories to match the Galleria towers already there. developed by Hines...Thanks Houston! Here is a video showing the area of construction. Three of the taller Hines bldgs are between 25 to 27 stories.(Though their high roof heights make them sit like 27 to 30 stories) I briefly worked in the  Galleria 2 tower which is 26 (The middle one) The black bldg in the background is the Onyx at around 25. Not sure who built it. You will see my comments on there. :) Pretty vid..and shows the beginning of the "platinum corrior" heading north on the DNT.check it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvoAtib8I-g

(on the subject of new Dallas development)  the reason it's not getting tall is that it is surrounded by the most affluent neighborhood in the Sunbelt outside of Southern California -- they don't want strangers looking down in their back yards any more than say River Oaks does.  Even a 27-floor (some said 22) tower was shot down pre-approval last year there.

Interestingly enough Preston Tower is actually 29 stories in that area! I had no idea. These bldgs have been around my whole life and I havent appreciated them until recently. Yea that Pre-Approved 27 story would have been dope next to this! Oh well.. -_-

w475h356wm.jpg

Edited by JasnoDTX

Don't forget the TMC is larger then Downtown Dallas that has 100,000 employees.  Please send some drone views of Dallas.  I would like to see all the buildings under construction.   

Seriously..nobody believes that.  :unsure:  

Edited by Dallascaper
  • Like 2

there is truth to that statement, but it may be more referring to the overall area of the TMC vs downtown Dallas, not the number of workers. the TMC is over 1,200 acres in size.

Texas Medical Center is the largest life sciences destination in the world. With 106,000 employees, 50,000 life science students, and thousands of volunteers and patient visits, over 160,000 people visit Texas Medical Center each day. Over the course of the year, we welcome over 7.2 million visitors.

http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/campus/

Edit: though both are very close in numbers when you compare millions of sq ft of office space vs millions of sq ft of hospital space, at around 30 million sq ft each.

Edited by cloud713

Lol I think the biggest thing that hurts downtown dallas is the lack of grid. It is so hard to get around.

The lack of a grid can be very annoying. Too many one way streets :angry: have hurt downtown a little but I heard they were trying to get rid of all the one-ways.

The funky street layout however gives the CBD its cool, unique look. Like a giant stonehenge.

B)

Lol no that's an actual fact, but it's not a knock against dallas. I went there a few weeks ago, and I think the biggest thing that hurts downtown dallas is the lack of grid. It is so hard to get around.

It's a "fact" in the same way that it's a "fact" Terre Haute, Indiana is "bigger" than Manhattan.  The "fact" that the TMC covers slightly more acreage than Dallas' CBD (note, they always leave out the rest of downtown for their little comparison) is disingenuous at best. The TMC is a testament to Houston and Texas, but claiming that it is bigger than reality is silly and reinforces some of the worst stereotypes about Texas.

• Like 1

It's a "fact" in the same way that it's a "fact" Terre Haute, Indiana is "bigger" than Manhattan. The "fact" that the TMC covers slightly more acreage than Dallas' CBD (note, they always leave out the rest of downtown for their little comparison) is disingenuous at best. The TMC is a testament to Houston and Texas, but claiming that it is bigger than reality is silly and reinforces some of the worst stereotypes about Texas.

42.5 million square feet is indeed bigger than the 30 or so million square feet that Downtown Dallas has.

This is square footage of buildings.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

The lack of a grid can be very annoying. Too many one way streets :angry: have hurt downtown a little but I heard they were trying to get rid of all the one-ways.

The funky street layout however gives the CBD its cool, unique look. Like a giant stonehenge.

B)

I mean there is nothing wrong with one ways. It makes it safer to move around on foot. And for a central business district that should be the norm. I was speaking more along the lines of how things change so much from one area to another with no sense of direction. Like walking from Victory Park to the House of Blues and everything hitting a wall at the Hooters. There is nothing eye catching past that point. And then what made it worse was having a main road where people are speeding through going both ways and no designated crosswalk or anything for pedestrians. Everyone I spoke to that were natives of dallas all seemed to defend the lack of safety. Anyways, it is what it is. 

42.5 million square feet is indeed bigger than the 30 or so million square feet that Downtown Dallas has.

This is square footage of buildings.

Is that so?!?  LOL!

Anyway, we have already derailed this thread enough, so maybe I will start a new thread in the TMC forum for further discussion.

Thanks!

Is that so?!? LOL!

Anyway, we have already derailed this thread enough, so maybe I will start a new thread in the TMC forum for further discussion.

Thanks!

Agreed. I know someone dropped this statement as a bait for a negative response, but felt the need to step in. I really like the city of Dallas, and don't mean to come off as anything but great love and hope for our sister up north. I'm glad this thread exists and like to see what's going on and up.

You Houstonians love drawing up your arbitrary distinctions and then using that to validate yourselves. Our Galleria is bigger than yours (ignoring Northpark), our medical district is bigger than yours (Dallas built hospitals more spread out), but then when other cities play the same game you find ways to discount it (OH YEAH WELL NO ONE RIDES DART SO IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW BIG IT IS).

Especially with Klyde Warren Park, any logical examination of downtown would include Uptown as well. So our central urban core is bigger than TMC. There. We all win.

Virgin Hotel announced for the Dallas Design District:

http://candysdirt.com/2015/06/24/crosland-group-plans-two-additional-major-virginal-developments-design-district/

150327-Virgin-Hotels-Concept-3.jpg

Edited by F4shionablecha0s
  • Like 4

You Houstonians love drawing up your arbitrary distinctions and then using that to validate yourselves. Our Galleria is bigger than yours (ignoring Northpark), our medical district is bigger than yours (Dallas built hospitals more spread out), but then when other cities play the same game you find ways to discount it (OH YEAH WELL NO ONE RIDES DART SO IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW BIG IT IS).

Especially with Klyde Warren Park, any logical examination of downtown would include Uptown as well. So our central urban core is bigger than TMC. There. We all win.

Dallasites and Houstonians relationship is still like Melbournites and Sydneysiders like. Open competition and hostility. Push to be #1 at everything.

Part of if is because they're of similar size, like Melbourne and Sydney, try to be #1 for Texas like Melbourne and Sydney try to be #1 in Australia.

At least the rivalry is more interesting and competitive than CA's LA vs SF.

I like DFW BTW. It's easy to like both HOU and DFW.

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1