Sign in to follow this  
Amsterdam

Favorite Homes of Riverside Terrace!

Back when I was single and broke, I would spend my days and nights driving around the old neighborhoods of Houston (the only entertainment I could afford at the time). Riverside Terrace was my favorite Houston neighborhood. Does anyone have a favorite house or houses that they fell in love with? Here are a few of mine on North and South Parkwood Drive in Riverside Terrace:

post-13424-0-92647600-1409193288_thumb.j

post-13424-0-60578700-1409193457_thumb.j

post-13424-0-07928900-1409193521_thumb.j

post-13424-0-80644300-1409193521_thumb.j

post-13424-0-23894900-1409193522_thumb.j

post-13424-0-70482300-1409193522_thumb.j

• Like 3

My favorite house in Riverside Terrace is this Regency number on Oakmont:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33514962@N05/3237317141/

However, my all-time favorite was this now-demolished Katherine Mott Tudor that was located at the intersection of Riverside Drive & North MacGregor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33514962@N05/5907275511/

Edited by 9075
  • Like 2

Well...  I'm going to show my age again here, as I have in some previous posts.  My favorite house in Riverside Terrace was the one where I lived on Oakdale in the late 1930's.  We moved there soon after I was born. We lived there about 5-6 years before moving again.

We had some neighbors who became well known Houstonians.  Across the street was an elementary schooler, Bill Archer, who would become a U.S. House Representative. Down the block was a young attorney by the name of Leon Jaworski, who would earn national fame as a Watergate prosecutor.

Here are a couple of recent pictures of my house.  The first one, I took when I drove through my old neighborhood in 2007, and the second is a 2011 Street View.  The first looks pretty much the same as when I lived there, except for the portico we had on the right side, which has been enclosed.  The second, as you can see, is very different.  The old neighborhood appears pretty much run down and uncared for these days.  Sad... 

Our place was not as opulent as many of the homes in the area, but I have many pleasant memories of that neighborhood..

post-873-0-23470600-1409260980_thumb.jpg

post-873-0-60855400-1409261020_thumb.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird
  • Like 1

My favorite house in Riverside Terrace is this Regency number on Oakmont:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33514962@N05/3237317141/

However, my all-time favorite was this now-demolished Katherine Mott Tudor that was located at the intersection of Riverside Drive & North MacGregor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33514962@N05/5907275511/

Isn't that house on Oakmont the old Weingarten House?

I love that Tudor house. I have a friend who is a home builder and he told me that it would cost a fortune to build houses like that featuring the craftsmanship involved that one finds in a house like the Katherine Mott Tudor.

By the way, I'm a newbie on this site and find it very interesting. I will be spending the time that I used spend on Facebook on this site (that's an entirely different issue).

Isn't that house on Oakmont the old Weingarten House?

Nope. The Weingarten house is about a mile and a half away from the one on Oakmont.

Back when I was single and broke, I would spend my days and nights driving around the old neighborhoods of Houston (the only entertainment I could afford at the time). Riverside Terrace was my favorite Houston neighborhood. Does anyone have a favorite house or houses that they fell in love with? Here are a few of mine on North and South Parkwood Drive in Riverside Terrace:

I live in the middle bottom (3602 Parkwood) it has been remodeled several times over the years by what looked like a brother-in-law.  I'm in the process of bringing her back (professionally) and any information, old pictures or helpful resources will be much appreciated.  All the windows except for one small one in the mud room have been replaced with cheap home depot specials.  The window opening have also been closed in to accommodate them.  I'd love to find a photo that shows the original windows.

• Like 1

The house in the first photo you posted is my favorite, Amsterdam. I first saw it in a book about Houston (I think it was one of those Ray Miller books) and happened to pass by it one day while doubling back one afternoon.

When I was teaching in HISD, a colleague told me that she once attended a social event event in a Riverside home and was astounded to see that it had an actual escalator installed between the first and second stories. She said wasn't the add-on chair type, but a moving stairway similar to those in commercial buildings. It sounds fanciful, but perhaps others have heard of this.

Never heard of a house with an escalator, but the Katherine Mott house in my earlier post had an elevator in it.  The elevator was similar to the one in the movie "Lady in a Cage".

I stumbled on this 1954 home movie on Youtube that shows the house in the top right, as well as some of the surrounding area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o62M-m5Il3Q

The first part of the movie was taken at the Cotton Bowl.  The Riverside Terrace footage starts around 1:45.

It is amazing how the landscaping on that street has matured in the last 60 years.

Off subject a little... The video is titled, Houston 1954 Cotton Bowl.  Actually, it was the Dallas 1954 Cotton Bowl with Rice playing Alabama.  It was notable for the instance where an Alabama player, Tommy Lewis, came off the bench/sideline and tackled Dicky Moegle, who was in the clear on a long run for a touchdown.  Moegle was given the touchdown by the referee.  I was watching that game on TV when it happened.  The two players later made an appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Edited by 57Tbird