Driving the Roads of Houston?

IronTiger

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, one more thing--the posted speed limit on 610 (60, 65?) isn't how fast I should go--I'll get rear-ended. What is the "right" speed to drive on there?

(I won't be playing speeding games in Pearland, though)

You won't get rear ended but you might annoy some people. I don't drive above speed limit

It'll be easiest to stay with the flow of traffic - passing a few, getting passed by a few, but generally moving at the consensus speed (which varies throughout the day and from place to place).

As a matter of safety, try not to drive immediately beside someone unless you are passing or being passed; likewise, be aware of the blind spots you and everyone else has on their rear quarters.  And keep an eye out for motorcycles - it's getting less hot, so there are more of them out there, and they're small and thus hard to spot.

I typically get in the left lane and keep up with whoever I end up behind, presuming the traffic is more or less following the "slower traffic keep right" rule, which it generally does on the Eastex.

80 mph is not unusual at all.

I acknowledge that I'm a bit of a hotshoe when left to my own devices.  I've often been tickled by how traffic seems to speed up once one gets to the Houston city limits.  I'll also point out that Nate99's avatar is a one year newer version of a car I once had that was considered quite the performance machine in its day (granted, screaming chicken or no, a '76 Trans still had only about as much power as some john boats do now).

Nevertheless, to be responsible I'll stick to my pass a few, get passed by a few advice. When left to their own devices, traffic engineers shoot for an 85th percentile speed - i.e., 85% of the traffic is driving that speed or slower.  Their studies have shown that, barring unusual circumstances, people aren't suicidal and only about 15% or so will go faster than conditions allow; setting the speed limit at that point is optimal for safety.

It'll be easiest to stay with the flow of traffic - passing a few, getting passed by a few, but generally moving at the consensus speed (which varies throughout the day and from place to place).

As a matter of safety, try not to drive immediately beside someone unless you are passing or being passed; likewise, be aware of the blind spots you and everyone else has on their rear quarters. And keep an eye out for motorcycles - it's getting less hot, so there are more of them out there, and they're small and thus hard to spot.

The car I rented this past weekend in calgary had an indicator on the side mirror that went on when someone was in your blind spot

The car I rented this past weekend in calgary had an indicator on the side mirror that went on when someone was in your blind spot

Say what?  Calgary has a light rail system and you didn't opt to ride it instead?  What about the carbon footprint you're leaving (in addition to that of the flight)?

That's nice.  It reminds me of a current commercial featuring some vapid hipster driving a car that's battling it out with his self absorption to see if Darwin's gonna win or not - just as in years past, there were those who apparently thought that buying a Volvo would somehow guarantee their vehicular immortality.

One should still drive at the prevailing speed of traffic, one still ought to stay out of other people's blind spots, and one should still turn one's punkin' haid and actually look before changing lanes.

That's nice.  It reminds me of a current commercial featuring some vapid hipster driving a car that's battling it out with his self absorption to see if Darwin's gonna win or not - just as in years past, there were those who apparently thought that buying a Volvo would somehow guarantee their vehicular immortality.

One should still drive at the prevailing speed of traffic, one still ought to stay out of other people's blind spots, and one should still turn one's punkin' haid and actually look before changing lanes.

Well said.

If you find yourself nervous while driving, just stay in the same lane and work your way over to an exit as you feel comfortable.  Houston is pretty easy to navigate so you can always find your way from wherever you land and, who knows, you might stumble across something interesting.

Congratulations.  

Incidentally, Leon Hale, the columnist who retired this year from the Chron at the age of 92, would take an annual drive all the way around the Loop to check up on whether he could still drive, at least up to a year or two ago.  In fairness, he was in Houston before any of the freeways were built, so the traffic kinda grew on him.

Vik is correct, since 290 is a left exit from 610 heading north.  

I think it's OK this weekend for anywhere you're likely going, but it's always a good idea to check for total closures - for example, SB 45 north of the Loop has a total shutdown this weekend.  This is a handy tool:  http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Just for giggles, and since traffic's likely going to be light anyway, you might consider coming up through downtown and then approaching 290 from the North Loop westbound.

Congrats!

For some real fun, try north on 45, then west on 59.  Try getting into the far right lane on the 45/288/59 connector where it merges with no warning onto 59 westbound.  With the right traffic conditions you'll instantly see why that whole thing should be torn up and rebuilt.

Congrats!

For some real fun, try north on 45, then west on 59.  Try getting into the far right lane on the 45/288/59 connector where it merges with no warning onto 59 westbound.  With the right traffic conditions you'll instantly see why that whole thing should be torn up and rebuilt.

That's almost as much fun as 288 northbound to 59 southbound - not only are there a bunch of ramps one right after the other, but the signage is bad, too.

Vik is correct, since 290 is a left exit from 610 heading north.  

I think it's OK this weekend for anywhere you're likely going, but it's always a good idea to check for total closures - for example, SB 45 north of the Loop has a total shutdown this weekend.  This is a handy tool:  http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Just for giggles, and since traffic's likely going to be light anyway, you might consider coming up through downtown and then approaching 290 from the North Loop westbound.

Just goes to show you that the original freeway planners were correct. They should have kept the direct 290 connection to Katy Freeway that was shown on early plans. Eliminating that short wedge of roadway was short sighted. Also I agree with you Mollusk, those north bound exit lanes on 610 to 290 are one of those unfortunate design flaws that has never been corrected, even when they had a chance to do so.

I did the full trip this time, a 288/610/290 death race. 288 was easy, 610 felt a bit like a roller coaster (fast turns, ups and downs), 290 was just plain mean. Uneven concrete that made my vehicle tend to go left, narrow lanes...the whole experience was most stressful at that point. At least 290 didn't pull the "Incredible Vanishing Lanes" trick as it's been known to do the last few years. A quarter tank of gas and a Buc-ee's club sandwich later, I'm back home safely.

Congrats!

Child's play.

Or maybe I'm just an aggressive driver.

Besides, if traffic's bad enough on 59 it's not even worth trying to merge, just stay on 288 and take 610 west to 59, for the final piece of the puzzle to click into place, don't take the exit from 610 north to 59 south, go instead 610 north to 59 north, exit weslayan, uturn, enter 59 south. 

This may add a few more miles on the old odometer, but it saves you like 30 seconds, so yeah.

Congrats!

You mean 59 southbound, right?

The whole thing did tend to make me a more aggressive driver. The way up I went at the speed limits (65 on 290) until I got to 610 (because there's no way I was staying at 60 mph the whole way). The way back, I was pushing at least 70 on 290 save for a few incidents and even pushed it to 80 once to get around a small U-Haul trailer I didn't trust. The way back I found I was routinely going at least 5 miles past the speed limit on most roads. This wore off by the next day (College Station cops aren't exactly forgiving in this aspect) but I could easily see how this will rewire your driving habits.

Child's play.

Or maybe I'm just an aggressive driver.

Besides, if traffic's bad enough on 59 it's not even worth trying to merge, just stay on 288 and take 610 west to 59, for the final piece of the puzzle to click into place, don't take the exit from 610 north to 59 south, go instead 610 north to 59 north, exit weslayan, uturn, enter 59 south. 

This may add a few more miles on the old odometer, but it saves you like 30 seconds, so yeah.

Child's play and fun too.  I am an agressive driver so it's no big deal to me but I can imagine it might scare the bejeebers out of someone who's not used to crossing lanes of traffic at speed and sudden merges.

Archived