Sim City 4

HoustonianInColorado

I play SC4! I have not made Houston, or anything like it, but, my city/region right now is inspired by Houston, as the main freeway setup will have loops, and such. For more info, go to www.simtropolis.com

I have it but haven't played it much recently. I did have a big region going a few months ago that had a couple of cities with Houston-like layouts with things like a freeway loop and spoke freeways radiating out from the center.

That game is quite addictive. Maybe I need to put it on my work laptop so I can have it with me during the week for entertainment during the evenings and on flights...

I have it but haven't played it much recently. I did have a big region going a few months ago that had a couple of cities with Houston-like layouts with things like a freeway loop and spoke freeways radiating out from the center.

That game is quite addictive. Maybe I need to put it on my work laptop so I can have it with me during the week for entertainment during the evenings and on flights...

It would be fun to exchange cities.

As someone else said simtropolis has several Houston maps. I tried putting one in, but my sim city froze up before it was done rendering. Actually it has been doing this alot, where it will freeze for a second and then it just exits out. It doesn't even have a non responsive window come up.. Does anyone know why? Maybe because I have 800 mb of plugins. :P

My current region is nothing like Houston, though it has some of the cities named after Houston, numbers (early ones), and Siberian cities.

Well, I have been working on some Houston style suburban homes, in the architect tool plugin:

dthneighborhood0019ml.jpg

Hopefully, I can get these posted on the Simtropolis exchange soon.

Thanks! Actually, that isn't PEG's pond kit- it is MayorBean's textured water surface(I think). I also used the CPT tree modd. Both of these are available on the exchange.

Say, what is your username on ST? You really should start posting more/reading the forums! They have tons of info there!

yeah sim city 4 is probably the most addicting pc game ive ever played...i had almost an exact replica and layout on SC3K unlimited but i lost it...now i just try to make realistic regions with some megalopolis' every now and then...but yeah if you visit simtropolis and get on the STEX you'll see all of urbanerds work...the guy is crazy...and pretty famous on there too...but yeeah i think it would be cool if some of us shared some cities and what not. ive got an account on ST with this same login too

I don't particularly like to replicate existing cities. I love building them with my own design. I never try to play the game so the city makes a profit. That to me is quite boring. I like to stall moneymaking parks so it allows me to build the city I want. It's amazing how when you have all the money in the world and you still can't build a perfect city.

I rarely post on simtropolis. I just support them a little so i don't feel guilty getting all the mods and bat buildings.

yeah sim city 4 is probably the most addicting pc game ive ever played...i had almost an exact replica and layout on SC3K unlimited but i lost it...now i just try to make realistic regions with some megalopolis' every now and then...but yeah if you visit simtropolis and get on the STEX you'll see all of urbanerds work...the guy is crazy...and pretty famous on there too...but yeeah i think it would be cool if some of us shared some cities and what not. ive got an account on ST with this same login too

Except over there, I'm not UrbaNerd- my username is DuskTrooper ;)

If anyone has any doubts, just send me a PM over there, to confirm.

Well, EA seems to not care about us anymore, but, that does not really matter, thanks to the NAM, the continuous work of the BATters, etc. Just keep an eye on the NAM, and the simtropolis exchange (psst...search DuskTrooper, and NDEX!). At this rate, we could squeeze a few more years out of this game. It is a good game that simply lacks fresh items, and these can (relatively)readily be made by the BATters, modders, etc. They do what EA would never do. And best of all, it's free!

OK, I'm a big SC4 fan, but what are BAT's, modders, etc?  I've been to Simtropolis, but haven't poked around much.

BAT is a Building Architecture Tool and its used to create new buildings that can be put into the game to add more flavor and variety to your buildings and such.

A modder is a person that changes the code for in this case a game like Sim City 4 to try to see what sort of different outcomes they can get to make the game run differently. Sort of like an advanced way of doing cheat codes.

• 1 year later...

Wow, there's a SC4 section here, too! I'm on ST, and I go by ryanb_sc4 over there. I'm trying to give the game more of a Texas feel by attempting to BAT some Texas-style traffic signals (like the TxDOT ones on the state highways, frontage roads, etc.) I'm having trouble finding pictures, though. I posted a thread in the Houston transportation forum.

• 8 months later...

Archived