Northwest Mall Developments

GovernorAggie

The area due north and just northwest of the mall (and across 290 in particular) is sketchy, especially along Mangum to just past W. 34th street. However, there does seem to be some significant residential activity to the east and south of the mall, especially just inside the loop. Lots of warehouse being torn down in favor of luxury apartments or upscale townhomes.

And I agree about the old putt-putt/Gran Prix location. Seems like a good spot for more residential, especially since a lot of new stuff is going up on Westview in the immediate area to the west.

Well, you know if they rename it "Centre" it just HAS to be spectacular.

Funny how things change. Now Mall has become a four-letter word apparently.

My entry would be "Centre at Northwest Plaza"... B)

I think that area will get redeveloped big time, especially when rail/GRT goes in, with the Hempstead Hwy. "district" becoming the Uptown version of the Warehouse District Downtown. Of course, a redone district needs a new name too. Upper Uptown?

• 6 months later...

I passed by Northwest Mall today(which I do everyday on my way to work), and I noticed a new sign on 18th street. It referenced a notice for a public hearing on May 8th regarding Northwest Mall development. Has anyone heard new news on this front?

I passed by Northwest Mall today(which I do everyday on my way to work), and I noticed a new sign on 18th street. It referenced a notice for a public hearing on May 8th regarding Northwest Mall development. Has anyone heard new news on this front?

There was a public meeting item on the 1/17/08 COH Planning and Development meeting called:

Northwest Mall Subdivision (2DEF) H C2 2007-2985 451Z City

total acreage 45.0004 #lots: 0 #dwell units: 0 #acres/reserve 45.00

Applicant: Windrose Land Services Developer: Levcor Inc

This item was noted as "deferred until the next meeting" which I'm guessing is May 8th. Levcor owns the mall so maybe they are looking to develop the 45 acres into a subdivsion???

• 4 weeks later...

It was on the agenda for last weeks Planning Commission Meeting.

This was in the notes. I couldn't get the pdf file that had more details.

Grant the requested variance(s) and Approve the plat subject to the conditions listed

http://ataps1.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/DRC/PC+M...ng+Calendar.nsf (Item 117)

Edited by lockmat

was Northwest mall the one that basically set the precedent in Texas and possibly the USA for a city or government entity using eminent domain to help a private developer

the mall needed peoples houses for parking...I was embarrassed they some how won in Houston

a few years later the mall closed :rolleyes:

was Northwest mall the one that basically set the precedent in Texas and possibly the USA for a city or government entity using eminent domain to help a private developer

the mall needed peoples houses for parking...I was embarrassed they some how won in Houston

a few years later the mall closed :rolleyes:

No. Try North Richland Hills (mall) and more recently Duncanville (Walmart.)

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I couldn't get to lockmat's link. Would love to see something happen in this huge waste of space. I biked through there last week and just got that ick feeling wishing something more useful was in such a nearby space to good things.

There was an article in the Leader last week regarding Northwest Mall. They intereviewed Levcor, and they do not plan on moving forward with development anytime soon. However, they did say residential would be in the mix.

That's hilarious!

"Yes, there is a residential component included in the renovations that will NOT occur."

Metro is still trying to use some of this site as a storage yard for it's commuter rail line and as a connection between the Northwest and the Galleria for LRT.

Also, The parking along the I-610 feeder road up to Macy's will be completely torn out to make way for the proposed freeway expansion. Check the schematics at the 290 website.

My guess is Levcor will do whatever it can to raise the values so when METRO and TxDOT use eminent domain they can get the highest price.

• 6 years later...

I honestly don't think anyone is going to touch this until the highway is finished being built. That whole area is going to be a traffic nightmare for a few years. I don't think that will attract many investors. It is an interesting location, but I have no clue what you turn this into. The lot is just so big. Not to mention the dynamics are of that area are changing drastically so that makes the whole area unpredictable. It's also pretty much in the middle of no mans land. I'm sure someone will buy it soon, but I really don't see anyone developing this for another few years if even that.

• Like 1

How many townhomes can you fit on 51.75 acres?

If that happens...I will kill myself >.>

Abandon shopping malls will be one of the bigger design/urban planning challenges my generation and the generation before will have to face in the coming decade or two. They present so many opportunities, but at the same time so many problems because of the shear scale of the land you are given. Especially since the immediate area is also vastly underdeveloped you get into a situation as to what exactly do you put there!? Mid-rise development doesn't really make much since because there is nothing else around it to support it....unless you decide to build a new town from scratch (which could be an option...a very interesting one I might add!). We don't need another entertainment venue as we have way to many. Theme park is out of the question because there are like two going up right now and not to mention it would be a real headache for this area. You can't build small residential as the value of those homes would plummet afterwards as a good portion of this area is still in decay and nobody builds those kinds of developments this deep into town anymore. Commercial campus?? Maybe if it was the right investor with a big brand. What I'm scared of is that it might be turned into distribution centers -.- since that is the main business of the immediate area. 

• Like 2

can you say mixed-use development with transportation hub?  so much potential for this property!  rail lines nearby could easily connect to light rail through uptown and/or the rail leading downtown to the hardy rail yards.  light rail line from here down washington avenue to downtown.....many, many opportunities for a transit system pivot point.

1. adaptive reuse of existing mall structure maintaining some retail capacity (or increased)

2. integration of new and proposed suburban rail and intercity light rail lines

3. add residential (affordable) components

4. add entertainment (or public use) component(s)

i would wager that there are MANY entities peeing their pants over this location.

https://www.ted.com/talks/ellen_dunham_jones_retrofitting_suburbia  check out this ted talk on "retrofitting suburbia".  it will give you hope for the plight of malls across the country.

• Like 1

There may be some unused/underused malls in decaying areas, but this ain't one of them.  Timbergrove and Lazybrook are just across 610, Inwood and the western part of GOOF are across 290, and the industrial area to the south and southeast is already being redeveloped, largely into residential.  There are half a dozen midrise buildings +/- along 610 between 290 and T C Jester.  And that area will be one of the first to be completed of the 290/610 reconstruction, probably in 2 - 3 years.  

They shouldn't have too much trouble selling this.

• Like 1

What I'm scared of is that it might be turned into distribution centers -.- since that is the main business of the immediate area.

I think those distribution centers, warehouses, and industrial properties will be redeveloped due to their location. I hope that Midway purchases the property, they did such a great job with redeveloping the Town and Country mall property into CityCentre.

• Like 1