• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean old folks don't yell at kids for being on their grass anymore? I was sooooo looking forward to my turn in about 20 years. Guess you don't know what a whipper snapper is either... :o

14 kids? That's not as common today as it once was. My grandfather was one of 18. My great aunt was one of 21. Of course, there wasn't much else to do back then, I mean what with no tv and only a couple of oil lamps for nighttime lighting, so large amounts of children just tended to happen in some cases, lol.

Channel 13 never aired it that I know of, but I remember seeing 11's late show broadcasting "Creep Show" several times. So did channel 20 and 26.

I didn't see any part of the movie in your video. First thing I saw was a title screen that said "Apocalypse Now", then much younger versions of Ted Koppel, Ronald Reagan, and Dave Ward.

Did I miss something or is this a trick question?

Should I go with Apocalypse Now?

I don't remember a Saturday or Sunday morning movie on 13. 13 was cartoons on Saturday morning, while Sunday was mostly church services. At least in the 70s and even into the 80s.

Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons from 6am-12noon on all 3 (at that time) big networks, as I recall. I know the Looney Tunes block was on 13, it was my favorite growing up.

Heightsite, I couldn't find any movie opens for KDOD-TV (when 26 used that name before becoming KRIV-TV).

You can try to google "KRIV 26 Movie Opens" on YouTube.

Both ChannelTwoNews and Dontryl Alexander have some opens of KRIV 26.

I don't remember a Saturday or Sunday morning movie on 13. 13 was cartoons on Saturday morning, while Sunday was mostly church services. At least in the 70s and even into the 80s.

Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons from 6am-12noon on all 3 (at that time) big networks, as I recall. I know the Looney Tunes block was on 13, it was my favorite growing up.

That's generally how it was when I was growing up (mid 80s into the 90s) as well, however 13 -did- offer a 9 AM movie periodically on Sunday mornings for a while in the 80s and probably into the early 90s. Like most of thier showcases from the time, it was a fairly eclectic mix of films for a major market, "big 3" affiliate effectively owned by the network at that point.

During roughly the same time they also offered at movie that aired usually between 11 AM and 1 PM or thereabouts called the "Sunday Early Movie" - basically filler in the days before ubiquitous infomercials. Like the above, the quality of the films would vary: one week during that slot you could end up with "Giant" one week and the next, "The Castaways on Gilligan's Island".

Well, depending on what part of the 80s you're talking about, not only did they not have a morning newscast, they didn't have Fox. Fox 26 News's humble beginnings were a 7pm newscast, and I think it was in 88 or 89 before that began. 7pm was A Current Affair before the news cast, the 6-6:30 slots were a double episode of Three's Company.

Why do I remember that stuff??

Fox 26 morning news started in the last 10 years or so, it's not one of the longtime news programs around here, Blue Dogs.

Didn't Fox 26 used to have morning newscasts back in the 80s ?

Pretty much what Purpledevil said.

Their 7 PM news started in the early to mid 80s when they were owned by Metromedia. They did have news updates throughout the evening prior to that. When Newscorp purchased the Metromedia stations, FOX was more of a programming service that became a network shortly after and by 1989 the 7 PM news moved to 9 PM where it is today. The weekend news was at 10 PM for a number of years though.

The morning news was launched in maybe '93 or '94 and was only an hour at 7 AM, but slowly started to extend it's starting time backward, then forward to 9 AM. Still hard to believe that we've made it to a show that runs between 4 AM & 10 AM these days.

This thread is kinda going off track. To try and bring it back around, I will add that I always liked the graphics & music for the Friday-Sunday movies back in the day. The music itself was a production library piece, but you may recognize it. It's in the Killer Tracks/Network Music Library . Type in Energy II in the search field and click on the first result.

ChannelTwoNews, you mentioned the Energy II theme music by Network Music, which Ch. 13 used for their movie opens. I think they got rid of the theme music sometime during 1990.

Anyone remembering"No Way to Treat a Lady" or George Peppard's "The Carpetbaggers" ?

Who remembers 3:10 to Yuma on Ch. 13 ?

Here's a brief part on Ch. 13's Movie ID on March 15, 1984 in this clip:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ob11_ktrk-movie-id-abc-news-20-20-open-1_news

Here's another video from November 1984 during Ch. 13's 11pm Late Show

In this clip included, "The Harrad Experiment" preview.

Weekend night movie promos for "Good Guys Wear Black" (starring Chuck Norris), "Magnum Force" and "Hang Em High" (starring Clint Eastwood) from November 16, 1984: they start at the 2:21 mark of the video

Who remembers the movie, "Journey to the far side of the Sun" ?

I do. If memory serves, "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" was Patrick Wymark's final film before he succumbed to heart disease. When did that come out originally Blue, 1970?

Purpledevil, here's the Energy II theme music from Network Music, which Ch. 13 used for their Saturday night movies:

I think they started using this theme music back in either 1981 or 1982 and stopped during the fall of 1990.

Purpledevil, here's the Energy II theme music from Network Music, which Ch. 13 used for their Saturday night movies:

I think they started using this theme music back in either 1981 or 1982 and stopped during the fall of 1990.

I'm not sure if the footage in that video is from Houston, but if it's not, it should be. Nothing like a tractor pull sponsored by Red Man and Budweiser to dredge up memories of a bygone era predating Houston's aspirations of being a truly cosmopolitan metropolis. 

There are few things as evocative as the smell of nitromethane at sundown. 

Archived